Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 AM

415 posts, read 1,717,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthefaith View Post
Hey Ya'll,

Can I call ya'll, ya'll? Just kidding around ya'll.
First off, it's "y'all". The apostrophe represents missing letters, in this case "ou", as in you all.

Second, it's "all y'all" if you're referring to more than one person.

Third, how is "y'all" worse than "youse guys"?

Old 10-11-2007, 09:59 AM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Y'all is nearly universal. Where I came from it was said often, as well as warsh (wash) and other oddities. Personally, I think dialect is one of the coolest things about each region.

A funny story, a dear friend of mine moved to my hometown from NJ the summer before our Sophomore year of high school. We met in the marching band (yes, I was a band nerd, and proud of it ). One day a group of us were talking about the differences between the East Coast and the Midwest, and someone asked her if she'd ever been out this way before. She responded saying that they usually just went to the shore for vacation. One guy asked, "Which shore," to which she responded, "The shore." this went on a couple more times before she finally had to explain to him that The Shore was the Jersey shore, and in NJ the entire shore was referred to in this way. He never really got it. It was hilarious, and I think molded her opinion about us Midwesterners. She now lives back in NJ, but we're still great friends. In fact, she'd getting married in two weeks and has asked me to be a bridesmaid.

So the way people talk and the things they say can sometimes be a problem anywhere. Heck, the people in my neighborhood had never heard a shed called a yard barn until we moved in.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:52 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthefaith View Post
Of course you can say that about other places, but the question was about Texas. Therefore, why would I answer a question about California or any other place?

Most of the people in D/FW are not transplants. But, there are a bunch.

Mom: Congratulations on traveling outside of the state. When you went to Paris, did you have to remind them that you didn't mean Paris, TX and that you went in a "flying machine?"

"More cars at the liquor store than at church on a Sunday?" Sounds like a good state motto. Let's try this out:

Arkansas- The Natural State
Virginia- Is For Lovers
Texas- More cars at the liquor store on Sunday than at church

Not bad. But, the Baptists are going to be pretty peeved. Someone is definitely getting a sneezer at the bake sale over this one.

Grandma? Oh, in my example one of the spouses had a parent that actually had "the nerve" to leave the state and retired elsewhere. Or, maybe one of the spouses is not from Texas and the parents of that spouse are still there. I don't know. This is what I like to call "Out-of-the Box" thinking. Pretty wacky, I know.

I'm sorry Mom. But, going to Louisiana to buy a Powerball ticket is not considered traveling or a vacation. You can't count those trips by friends.

I'll stick by the "Thousandaires" comment.

God Bless Your Heart,
Keepthefaith

P.S. Mom, I'm totally kidding and just having a laugh. I know you weren't being rude or ugly. I'm sure you are a nice person. But, if you don't want to hear my opinion on Texas people then start a thread that says "Everyone Must Agree That Texas People Are The Bestest" or something like that. Otherwise...

You may hear something negative on a thread called "Anybody NOT Like The People in Texas". I am a rebel...hold on, not Conferderate. Hold your applause folks.

Kind of a tacky little guy, aren't you? I could be wrong, but I don't think for one minute you're kidding, although I do think you are just quite full of yourself and you make it perfectly clear you don't think any of us "backswoods" Texans can even begin to keep up with you in your own brand of wit and humor.

It's not just Texas, it's worldwide that if someone doesn't want to be friendly, so be it. Drop it and go on. My God, one thing this earth is not in short supply of, and that's people. Just go find you someone else to make a friend with. I had some people from somewhere up north move in by me one time and whenever I came in and they were out in the yard and looking my way, I waved at them. Well, sometimes, they'd waved back, other times, they stared at me as though they had never seen me before (and yes, they did see me, they were looking straight at me). Sometimes they'd come up to the fence and talk, other times, same thing, act like you had just dropped down from outer space. So yes, I got tired of it and ignored them completely. Life's too short for crap like this.

I think some people are just basically unhappy. It doesn't matter where they are living. They are unhappy with themselves and blame their unhappiness on any and everything, do to the place where they live, but themselves. Again, life is too short, make some changes, your feet are not planted in concrete.

As far as Dallas goes, well that's a story unto itself. Thank God, it's not as bad as it used to me. I remember the days when one of the first things you talked about when you got to work was that crazy Dallas city council. Oh yeah, the days of Diane Ragsdale, Al Liscomb, etc. THEY were the talk of the town and all the surrounding towns because the 10:00 news thought we ALL wanted to sit and listened to that crazy crap. John Wiley Price....need I say more?

One thing about it, Keep the Faith, you are doing a good job on showing how diverse Texans can be. I say, we are on the whole, a polite bunch. That is because it was drilled into us as youngsters growing up, always be polite, now. So, you bet ya, when you think we are more or less calling you a moran when we say "bless your heart", we usually are, BUT, see how polite we are. Just an off the wall example might go like this.....'well, I just jumped the fence over into your pasture cause I saw some pretty wildflowers I wanted to pick, I didn't KNOW that cow (I say cow because I've had plenty of old mean cows that'd put you out of a pasture before a bull would ever raise his head up) would just charge at me like that!' Well, what are we going to say, you're an idiot? No, we wouldn't say that. Rather, we'll just say, "Bless your heart".

As far as the fact that we happen to say y'all, who really gives a big rat's ***? We don't. We also don't care what y'all say either, because while we say, y'all want to go get a coke, we don't care if youse, or youse guys, or you guys, or you all want to get a pop or not. That's entirely up to you.

So all y'all that like it here, that's good. We've got lots to enjoy here in the great state of Texas, so live it up! As for all y'all who can't stand it here, well y'all got two choices as far as I can see it, get your belongings and leave the state of Texas, or hang loose, it's probably only gonna get worse.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, I must be bored completely out of my mind to take the time and trouble to write all this down. So I'm done Have a great day now, y'all hear?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:49 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
of course where ever you go, you meet people who you wish you never met... There are great people here, with great values but then there are some who you just wish would go away....

Old 10-12-2007, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 18,186 times
Default how is Texas different from california??

Help, thinking of relocating to Texas, how is it diiferent from California??

Old 10-12-2007, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 18,186 times
Native Californian, tired of the junk! thinking about Texas!

Old 10-12-2007, 11:31 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
Think part western, part Southern, with several months of hot, hot weather, nice fall, nice spring (except for the stormy/tornado weather), usually pleasant and mild winter with one or two freezing spells or icy weather thrown in that don't last more than a few days, lower cost of living, no state income tax but some people think the property taxes are quite high. Nevertheless, housing is cheap compared to CA.

Texas BBQ! Yum!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:58 PM

152 posts, read 732,102 times
Default South Texas

South Texas is a different world on to itself. People don't mix with outsiders. I
pretty well found most of the country
including LA and NYC welcoming. If Texans
Are the friendliest then South Carolinians are are at the top too.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Don't forget the bugs! Lots and lots of bugs....

Old 10-14-2007, 12:02 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Don't forget the bugs! Lots and lots of bugs....
Oh ya, Lots of bugs and spiders. I couldn't believe the difference between Ca and Tx. So yes, lots of bugs in Texas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas