Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Yeah that might be it. I love the friendly attitudes here in Texas. Just yesterday I was in line at Churchs Chicken and the guy in line with me says how ya doin'? And next thing you know we're talking about the weather, etc. and he introduced me to his wife and it was like we knew each other for years. I encounter that all the time here and its great. Its home. As for the young folk here the ones that are the most polite are the ones who wear the ball caps and drive the big pickup trucks. I even had one hold the door open for me and say how are you doing sir?
I hadn't even thought about all that, either!

In southern NM, most of which isn't far from the Texas line, striking up conversations with strangers in lines is common, as it is in West Texas.

But not up here in the northwest, near the Colorado line. It's not that they're rude or even unfriendly--you just don't see the same interaction up here as you do in WT! So I find myself very quiet in checkout lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I hadn't even thought about all that, either!

In southern NM, most of which isn't far from the Texas line, striking up conversations with strangers in lines is common, as it is in West Texas.

But not up here in the northwest, near the Colorado line. It's not that they're rude or even unfriendly--you just don't see the same interaction up here as you do in WT! So I find myself very quiet in checkout lines.
Yep I would miss that interaction for sure. Its a shame that so many other places aren't like that. I cant imagine living any other way.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
[/b] Oh same here. I've tried so hard to not use "fixin to" and "y'all", especially when around people from other regions, but I just can't shake it. It's in my DNA.
Why resist it? It's how you talk, it's part of who you are. I say 'fixin' to' and 'y'all' and I don't care what people think of me because of it.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why resist it? It's how you talk, it's part of who you are. I say 'fixin' to' and 'y'all' and I don't care what people think of me because of it.
Agreed. Just be yourself. Anybody who thinks less of you because of how you talk and cant accept you for who you are isnt worth knowing anyway.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I think this also but then I get around others that say "You sure talk funny". Mr. UT Researcher Lars Hinrichs, probably talks funny from Minnesota and would not recognize a good TX accent. He just needs to get out of Austin and hang around Ft Worth, Lufkin, Midland, Lubbock, San Angelo or Amarillo.

I'm proud of my Fot Wurth accent but try to not use "Fixin To" around outsiders.
I went to New York during the summer and everyone assumed I was from there. People were shocked when I said I was from Texas.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
I went to New York during the summer and everyone assumed I was from there. People were shocked when I said I was from Texas.
Just about every native I've talked to in San Angelo assumed I was originally from here.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Just about every native I've talked to in San Angelo assumed I was originally from here.
That reminds me of a funny story... years ago I knew a woman in San Angelo who was born in Spain, married a Yank, and moved with him to San Angelo.

Years later when I knew her she was divorced, and because she now was fluent in both English and Spanish, she got a job as a paralegal in a law office specializing in immigration law for Spanish-speaking people from Mexico and Central and South America.

All of her co-workers were of Mexican heritage, so they spoke "Mexican accented" Spanish, as it is spoken in Mexico. But my friend speaks in "Spanish accented" Spanish, with the soft castilian "th" sound replacing the "s" sound in many places.

She worked at the office for years before she discovered that many of her coworkers didn't perceive her softened accent as an accent at all. They mostly just assumed she had a slight speech impediment.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times
Regarding the fade in the greatness of the Texas accent, I've noticed it more in the younger generations than I've seen in mine. From what I've noticed, the accent is more present in those 40 and older. I'd really hate to see it completely go, but you never know.

But if you go to the countrysides, then it's a pretty safe bet that nearly everyone out there speaks with the twang, regardless of age.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I tried to stop because I know it's not proper English. It wasn't that I was trying to impress anyone, or not let them know I was from Texas. I just thought I should try to stop. Like I said, I can't do it, and now, as a women of a certain age, I wouldn't dream of trying to stop. Take me as I am, or just go away. I don't really care. It's who I am, and I'm proud to be a Texan.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Regarding the fade in the greatness of the Texas accent, I've noticed it more in the younger generations than I've seen in mine.
I think it's the old, dreaded peer pressure thing. When my daughter was in school, there were so many kids that were from various areas of the country (I seriously think Texans are a dying breed ~ I'm always wondering where have they gone?) and this did play havoc with the native accent. Kids can be mean and it became a standing rule that any time one of the kids spoke with the Texan twang, they were made fun of and called a hillbilly or hick. So, the Texas kids all tried to mimic the kids with the 'proper' pronunciation.

To this day my daughter speaks differently than I do. I remember when she started it, and I was like, what the heck? We don't talk like that. Or I'd say, dang, where did you come from, girl? But she decided she wanted to talk more like 'them' than me. LOL I guess I was the hick and I actually never thought I had an accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas