Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLady1 View Post
Thank you so so much. When I was traveling back home I was stunned at how beautiful San Antonio was, it was March and it was lush and green and I saw hills(thought Texas was flat.
Now you having me thinking even more>>LOL
Austin and SA can look fantastic in March...what happens for the next five months is anybody's guess. Houston is generally greener year-round and year to year. Austin has had some pretty brown(and I mean pretty brown, not pretty and brown ) summers since we got here in '08. This year was a mixed bag with the early rains and then the heat and drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,173,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
^^^^^This. Especially the bolded part.
I just assume they know California sux and won't do that.

Ronnie

Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
I am moving from Los Angeles to Texas. This is happening in the next 30days. I took a trip down to Houston Texas and found the area of Sugar land and Missouri City to be nice. After returning home I did a little additional research and realized that Dallas and Austin are also nice as well. True Texans would be able to shed light on which city would be a better move.
What I am looking for is honest opinions of any of the 3. I have been in the travel industry as a travel professional for many years and after returning to school to obtain my degree I want a change. After extensive research a job in energy is the way to go(it won’t happen here in Los Angeles) Which city would be best to obtain that Goal? (No I don’t have a job lined up yet)
Houston, though you should absolutely not move here without a job.

Quote:
Which city appears to have more jobs and a culture that accepts diversity?(mixed racial demographics ex African American, Asian, European etc..
Houston or Dallas, Austin much less so.

Quote:
Which city has a better price of living in your opinions?
Houston.

Quote:
Is the humidity in Houston horrible compared to the other cities? (Coming from California )
Yes, but you'll be indoors most of the time.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
I am moving from Los Angeles to Texas. This is happening in the next 30days. I took a trip down to Houston Texas and found the area of Sugar land and Missouri City to be nice. After returning home I did a little additional research and realized that Dallas and Austin are also nice as well. True Texans would be able to shed light on which city would be a better move.
What I am looking for is honest opinions of any of the 3. I have been in the travel industry as a travel professional for many years and after returning to school to obtain my degree I want a change. After extensive research a job in energy is the way to go(it won’t happen here in Los Angeles) Which city would be best to obtain that Goal? (No I don’t have a job lined up yet)
Which city appears to have more jobs and a culture that accepts diversity?(mixed racial demographics ex African American, Asian, European etc..
Which city has a better price of living in your opinions?
Is the humidity in Houston horrible compared to the other cities? (Coming from California

Any advice that anyone could offer would be appreciated thanks so much!!
I used to live in Long Beach and moved back here to be with family. If your field is energy, go to Houston. Houston is also diverse. I lived in San Antonio for the last 5 years and would not say that it's "diverse"- it's majority 60% Hispanic, 30% anglo and maybe 10% "other". Houston also has a better vibe, better educated people. San Antonio is too family oriented and blue collar, a poor city. Austin is VERY Anglo and lacks diversity.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Houston for energy and the jobs related to it. Everything else in Texas is far behind.

Gross generalizations:

Houston - energy/medical; huge sprawling place, lots of everything
Dallas - financial/telecom; origin of Texas stereotypes
Austin - software/silicon/government; younger, hipper, educated
San Antonio - tourism/military; majority Hispanic, less educated, fatter

Houston is humid. Is it awful? It depends. I lived in Houston for four years and found the humidity often unpleasant but ultimately tolerable.

Unlike Kameht I don't think all suburbs are horrible. And I think many of the Austin ones are rather nice.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
Houston is the best city in Texas is almost every category you mentioned. The humidity is tolerable, I find that the Austin dry heat is more brutal honestly.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:23 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Unlike Kameht I don't think all suburbs are horrible. And I think many of the Austin ones are rather nice.
I agree that they're varying degrees of horrible with some being worse than others.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:27 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Have you consulted the City-Forum profile pages for these three cities? In addition to the opinions posted here, I find comparing factual data can be quite illuminating...

//www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
I'd go to Houston but San Antonio does have a couple Energy companies Valero,Tesoro and NuStar

San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce | San Antonio, Texas

Valero

Tesoro Corporation

Home

Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Can't go wrong with the 3 choices. Austin will be the most laid back and offer less big city amenities of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas