Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Students Have to Pledge Allegiance to Texas?
Yes 37 31.62%
No 73 62.39%
Other (Explain) 7 5.98%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Justify the Northern slave trade.

So show me where any say that...alone and singular? I am prepared to wait until Hell freezes over...

In retrospect, I probably shoudn't You are not capable of understanding --it seems -- concepts of federalism....

Yep, that's it. HAHAHAHAHA It all just comes down to "We want the right to enslave African-Americans" *getting over laughing fit* Curious though...what did the Africans who sold their own into slavery to the Northern slave traders, think?

And oh yeah, what about the free blacks who owned slaves...?

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

You mean there is a difference?? OK, Ok, I couldn't resist that one...

I don't "forget" it at all. The CSA constituion specifically outlawed the slave trade. Wanna see how the northern states avoided it? Here ya go:

The Northern Slave Trade - In These Times

Traces of the Trade » Northern Involvement in the Slave Trade

Because a "Civil War", defined, means a war fought between two factions within the same country. In the case of the War Between the States, it was one fought between two soveriegn nations. The united States (the northern states who kept the name by default...the "Union"), and the Southern states who withdrew from the Old Union, and formed their own nation (The Confederate States of America).

Sure you did. It is very evident in all your remarks and tone of voice. But ok, I will be lenient on that one....maybe you didn't.
Not maybe. I didn't. If you took it that way, its too bad because I didn't intend to.

And the international slave trade was the only thing the confederates banned. Plus, it was only to placate the border states.

It was not two sovereign nations. It was one sovereign nation, the US, against an illegitimate rebel "government". No foreign nation ever recognized it as such too. The states never had the right to leave.

Its obvious that arguing with you is pointless. Its ok. Most people in this country aren't very good with history, so you aren't alone.

I'm done with this topic. Mod is probably going to delete everything too. This is my last word on the matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Not maybe. I didn't. If you took it that way, its too bad because I didn't intend to.

And the international slave trade was the only thing the confederates banned. Plus, it was only to placate the border states.

It was not two sovereign nations. It was one sovereign nation, the US, against an illegitimate rebel "government". No foreign nation ever recognized it as such too. The states never had the right to leave.

Its obvious that arguing with you is pointless. Its ok. Most people in this country aren't very good with history, so you aren't alone.

I'm done with this topic. Mod is probably going to delete everything too. This is my last word on the matter.
Probably best it is...because I promise to reply each and every time..

Did the colonies have a "right" to declare their independence from England? If so, please explain why the Southern states did not have the right to leave a voluntary Union of states? The Treaty of Paris recognized the "states" as soveriegn entities...not one nation. Independent states...each mentioned seperately. And for good reason...

LMAO. The states never had the right to leave? This is too damn funny. The "states" you speak of had just "seceded" from England. So are you actually suggesting they would have entered into a Union of their own choosing, where it was aforehand understood they were bound to it forever? This is beyond ridiculous. It would have totally repudiated the whole concept of the underlying principle that the nation was founded upon to begin with:

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

The Southern states only wanted to go their own way, in peace. They had no plans to invade the North, nor to do anything but mutually co-exist. Instead, the Lincoln administration chose to provoke a war and invade a people who had done them no wrong to begin with..'

Try again...

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-20-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times
I hate it when I thread I finally want to participate in is about to be deleted :-)

But, is there time for a little more discussion of ideas?

When I was a kid, growing up in Houston in the 60s, I read a book in junior high (i think) that speculated on what the course of history would have been if the south had won the war between the states. not an unexpected piece of speculation these days, but i thought i was pretty imaginative at the time. aside from moral & ethical issues, would an economic system based on slavery be able to persist and be competitive in the world we see today?

That's one idea we could discuss. More importantly, how can we reconcile our reverence for the commitment to human rights expressed in the declarations and the constitution (and bill of rights) with the institution of slavery. for me, that is a topic that is hard to dismiss so easily, regardless of our emotional attachments to our sense of tribe.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
I hate it when I thread I finally want to participate in is about to be deleted :-)

But, is there time for a little more discussion of ideas?

When I was a kid, growing up in Houston in the 60s, I read a book in junior high (i think) that speculated on what the course of history would have been if the south had won the war between the states. not an unexpected piece of speculation these days, but i thought i was pretty imaginative at the time. aside from moral & ethical issues, would an economic system based on slavery be able to persist and be competitive in the world we see today?

That's one idea we could discuss. More importantly, how can we reconcile our reverence for the commitment to human rights expressed in the declarations and the constitution (and bill of rights) with the institution of slavery. for me, that is a topic that is hard to dismiss so easily, regardless of our emotional attachments to our sense of tribe.
Have you seen this movie?? lol

The Confederate States of America - YouTube

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Austin? You dont know what you are talking about.
You could have ended your post right there!

I decided that you can't debate with someone like Austinite. They don't discuss based on opinion or fact, they debate based on what they want to believe is right.

"Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Old 10-23-2012, 04:29 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
You could have ended your post right there!

I decided that you can't debate with someone like Austinite. They don't discuss based on opinion or fact, they debate based on what they want to believe is right.

"Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
That's funny, because I think the same of you

Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
To the Texas flag? No. To the planet Kolob's flag? A resounding....you betcha!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
To the Texas flag? No. To the planet Kolob's flag? A resounding....you betcha!
Comic relief. Thank God.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
There is a great need to explain thye INDIVISIBLE part to them. Seccession is Treason and Seccessionist are Traitors who took up arms against the United States

Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
I'm surprised Texas even pledges allegiance to the US flag at all. I would think they would just do the Texas pledge nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas