Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:13 PM

264 posts, read 907,679 times

Advertisements

I live in rural Eastern NC. I love the people and have made great friends here. The issue I have is the heat humidity and mosquitos. I hate the weather from May till October. I love being outdoors but not in this type of weather.

Can Texas work for me ? Is there a area of Texas where its not too humid most of the year ? We love the music scene and a change of seasons with the weather. We would like to be within a hour of a decent sized city as wife is a part time nurse and is thinking of going back to school to get Masters.
One of the schools on my H.S. Junior's list is Texas. We have driven through Texas and liked Austin but it was very hot but most places are hot in August. Is Lubbock a nice area to live ? Never been in person. It seems cooler there ?
I would want homes $200,000 and below. Idaho is high on my list now but lately I've been thinking of Texas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM

83 posts, read 311,062 times
If heat and humidity are deal-breakers, you should probably move to Idaho. Sorry.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:02 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Lubbock, Amarillo are your best options in Texas.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:26 PM

264 posts, read 907,679 times
We will visit Austin again and see how the weather is in another season. August is tough to judge anywhere. We would probably want to live in a small town within an hour of Austin. We still have a year to look around. My grandfather moved to east coast as a child from Childress Tx. Texas had a good vibe and my wife loves the warm weather. We will see.

Last edited by runnerguy45; 10-14-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 05:44 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Lubbock and Amarillo are by far the ugliest parts of Texas. The land is extremely flat, and it gets both really hot and really cold in the winter.

Look at San Angelo. It has the drier heat in the summers, cheap real estate, and Angelo State University has an excellent nursing program.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Lubbock and Amarillo are by far the ugliest parts of Texas. The land is extremely flat, and it gets both really hot and really cold in the winter.

Look at San Angelo. It has the drier heat in the summers, cheap real estate, and Angelo State University has an excellent nursing program.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
If heat, humidity, and long summers are the deal killers - then Texas may not be the place for you to move, in spite of it's other charms (which are many!).

Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 AM

371 posts, read 543,443 times
If heat is a deal breaker, Texas sure has a lot of it! (The main reason I was hoping I could land a job in Colorado!)

The hill country is nice outside of Austin, but it still is going to be hot and fairly humid- but not as bad as say Houston area (where I am originally from)

Most of TX does not have much of a Fall and not very much Winter...we can have beautiful, nice crisp Springs though (last Spring was pretty nice!)

Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times
Look at west Texas. Places like San Angelo, Midland, etc.

Our weather is hot, however, but lacks the humidity that goes with many of the east Texas cities.

We have universities and hospitals in cities our size as well (I live in San Angelo).

If you're looking for a major city, west Texas isn't really for you. But if around 100k people is enough, take a look at what some of west Texas has to offer.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:35 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
I live in rural Eastern NC. I love the people and have made great friends here. The issue I have is the heat humidity and mosquitos. I hate the weather from May till October. I love being outdoors but not in this type of weather.

Can Texas work for me ? Is there a area of Texas where its not too humid most of the year ? We love the music scene and a change of seasons with the weather. We would like to be within a hour of a decent sized city as wife is a part time nurse and is thinking of going back to school to get Masters.
One of the schools on my H.S. Junior's list is Texas. We have driven through Texas and liked Austin but it was very hot but most places are hot in August. Is Lubbock a nice area to live ? Never been in person. It seems cooler there ?
I would want homes $200,000 and below. Idaho is high on my list now but lately I've been thinking of Texas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
If you want to avoid humidity and mosquitoes, go west. It'll be more like a desert but there will be less mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas