Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM

229 posts, read 305,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Alright, and I'm saying that I never said otherwise. All I said is that New York doesn't have to copy.

So NYC was the first to build a subway system, a central park type park, a Lincoln Center type center? I think other, older cities probably beat them to the punch on those type developments. When NYC did build those things I am almost certain they would have looked at those other cities to see how stuff like that is done. It is not copying, it is learning. Learning from others successes and mistakes and then building what you think is best for your city is the smart way to do things. If NYC had never built these things for fear of being called a copycat then we would not have the NYC that we have today. Just like we wouldn't have the Paris, or the Rome, or any other great city.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
So NYC was the first to build a subway system, a central park type park, a Lincoln Center type center? I think other, older cities probably beat them to the punch on those type developments. When NYC did build those things I am almost certain they would have looked at those other cities to see how stuff like that is done. It is not copying, it is learning. Learning from others successes and mistakes and then building what you think is best for your city is the smart way to do things. If NYC had never built these things for fear of being called a copycat then we would not have the NYC that we have today. Just like we wouldn't have the Paris, or the Rome, or any other great city.
Show me where I said New York was 100% original. Clearly I'm the only one here who understands the difference between borrowing parts of ideas and copying them.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Show me where I said New York was 100% original. Clearly I'm the only one here who understands the difference between borrowing parts of ideas and copying them.
You Did say "NYC dont have to copy"...meaning everything thats done there is original...right????

Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You Did say "NYC dont have to copy"...meaning everything thats done there is original...right????
He was clearly saying no other city is like NYC. Unlike Dallas and its twin, Oklahoma City.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
Love to visit DFW it just more than Dallas its Arlington Fort Worth Cedar Hill Oklahoma...But Houston is just my style...

Old 11-09-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
He was clearly saying no other city is like NYC. Unlike Dallas and its twin, Oklahoma City.
lie........In fact New York is New York only because it has MORE options of the SAME stuff all the smaller big cities in the U.S. offer.

Example:

Dallas has 5 boutique Hotels
NY has too many to count

Dallas has two good french restaurants
NY has 30(just guessing to prove the point)

It all boils down to population numbers.If any other city in the U.S had as many people as NY it would be just as dynamic. It would have to be to accomodate all those people...(unless your Houston).

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
lie........In fact New York is New York only because it has MORE options of the SAME stuff all the smaller big cities in the U.S. offer.

Example:

Dallas has 5 boutique Hotels
NY has too many to count

Dallas has two good french restaurants
NY has 30(just guessing to prove the point)

It all boils down to population numbers.If any other city in the U.S had as many people as NY it would be just as dynamic. It would have to be to accomodate all those people...(unless your Houston).
I like Dallas just fine. It is a pretty great sunbelt city, and Dallas and Houston are more like each other than they are like any other cities. That said, Houston has WAY superior high culture. Rice is a thousand times a better university than SMU. The Menil Collection in Houston, not to mention the Rothko Chapel, makes the Nasher Collection or the DMA look utterly provincial. Ditto for theater, ballet and opera. Classical music is a wash. In terms of restaurants, I would say Houston is a top 5 eating city in the U.S. at every price point, bottom end of the top 5 behind New York, Chicago, LA and the Bay Area, but still top 5. Dallas would struggle to make the top 15, and even in Texas is no better than Austin or San Antonio. For the things I care about in a city: food, the arts and general intellectual culture, Houston is quite a bit better than Dallas. YMMV.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I never understood this about London. We were left with buses in London after hours which was very inconvenient because the buses are harder to navigate. What surprised me was that there were many people still roaming the streets and the lines just shut down.
New York's subway system is able to run 24/7 because many lines have more than two tracks (which is unusual compared with other subway systems) so trains can just simply be rerouted to another track when overnight maintence is carried out. Other systems are required to shut down for a certain period of time so that certain maintence operations can be carried out.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:16 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I like Dallas just fine. It is a pretty great sunbelt city, and Dallas and Houston are more like each other than they are like any other cities. That said, Houston has WAY superior high culture. Rice is a thousand times a better university than SMU. The Menil Collection in Houston, not to mention the Rothko Chapel, makes the Nasher Collection or the DMA look utterly provincial. Ditto for theater, ballet and opera. Classical music is a wash. In terms of restaurants, I would say Houston is a top 5 eating city in the U.S. at every price point, bottom end of the top 5 behind New York, Chicago, LA and the Bay Area, but still top 5. Dallas would struggle to make the top 15, and even in Texas is no better than Austin or San Antonio. For the things I care about in a city: food, the arts and general intellectual culture, Houston is quite a bit better than Dallas. YMMV.
^I agree, also being from the Austin area.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Even YOU know that this is a stretch. Dallas restaurant scene is alot better than Austins and San Antonio....If you notice i used a "" in my comment symbolizing sarcasm with a grain of truth. You are right about Rice and Houston does have great museums but they are locally popular and thats it. Yes tourist do visit Houstons museums but they are mostly used as time passers while visiting;they're never the sole reason for the trip to Houston(Dallas is just as bad). And Dallas and Houston are just about neck and neck in the food department with Houston having some advantages but no more than the advantages that Dallas has over Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas