Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Pass an Open Carry Law for handguns?
Yes 46 58.23%
No 25 31.65%
Yes, maybe... 5 6.33%
No, but... 0 0%
Not Sure/Undecided 3 3.80%
A private citizen should NOT be allowed to carry at all 0 0%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Ok dude, I'm not that bent on proving you wrong. I am NOT going to read all of that. lol
Well, hopefully at some point you will read it, so that you will know the truth. This isn't about who is right and who is wrong... it's about letting the truth see the light of day. Lots of people (mostly the liberals) don't want to know the truth because it refutes what they want to believe. If you know the truth, it will set you free and you will be better equipped to live a life as void as possible of potentially dangerous naivete.

And the truth, getting back to "open carry" laws, is that freedom and liberty depend in large part on a moral, responsible, armed populace. If you are moral, you will not use your weapon to commit crime. If you are responsible, you will use your weapon to protect yourself and those around you if and when necessary. But neither of these would be possible if you aren't armed. My father had to shoot a home intruder when I was 4 years old and my brother was an infant. The guy was armed. Tell me - despite the fact that you may not like me very much because I speak the truth and can back it up irrefutably... do you believe that my father should not have owned, and used, a gun? Do you think it would have been better for my family to have been victimized (and potentially killed) by this lowlife? My dad's use of a gun incapacitated the guy for long enough to get the cops over and haul him off. Because of the gun, a criminal was put in jail. Without the gun, four innocent people could have been killed. I vote for the gun.

My wife comes from Ohio. Not long ago, a state legislator from Ohio switched from the Democratic party to the Republican party because his family was robbed at gunpoint. Prior to that time, he was an anti-gun liberal. After that experience, which he and his family thankfully survived, he said words to the effect of "Never again do I want to be in a situation like that where I need a gun to protect myself and those I love, and don't have one"... and became a pro-gun Republican. (I can't dig up information on who he is.)

The people who want to commit crimes are going to get and use guns anyway. Open carry for law-abiding citizens, without a permit or license, merely levels the playing field... if you have a gun, people probably won't mess with you... much like few people would dare pick a fight with Mike Tyson for fear of getting beaten to within an inch of their lives.

The oft-used phrase is "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". Look at the cities in this country that have comprehensive handgun laws which make it near-impossible to even possess a gun in your place of residence. Washington DC, New York City, Chicago, and others. Those cities have stratospheric rates of gun violence. I don't see these handgun laws preventing gun violence. But I did see a video where some armed thugs broke into a jewelry store to do a smash-and-grab... and the armed clerk began shooting at them. They ran out as fast as their legs could carry them, without taking a thing. Criminals want a path of low resistance. They are generally cowardly... which is to be expected, if they would take the route of being criminal.

There was a country that boasted, back in the previous century, about being the first country to have full registration of every handgun in the entire country. The country was Germany. The leader who did the boasting was Hitler. Still think restrictive gun laws are a great idea, y'all? Remember, if you have it registered and they know you have it, they can take it away. And if they're going to take a deadly weapon, you can rest assured they will come for it bearing deadly weapons to make sure that you don't try to defend your possession of that weapon by using it. That means, paradoxically enough, that those who favor anti-gun legislation are effectively depending upon guns to ensure that that legislation is enforced. ?!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Well, hopefully at some point you will read it, so that you will know the truth. This isn't about who is right and who is wrong... it's about letting the truth see the light of day. Lots of people (mostly the liberals) don't want to know the truth because it refutes what they want to believe. If you know the truth, it will set you free and you will be better equipped to live a life as void as possible of potentially dangerous naivete.

And the truth, getting back to "open carry" laws, is that freedom and liberty depend in large part on a moral, responsible, armed populace. If you are moral, you will not use your weapon to commit crime. If you are responsible, you will use your weapon to protect yourself and those around you if and when necessary. But neither of these would be possible if you aren't armed. My father had to shoot a home intruder when I was 4 years old and my brother was an infant. The guy was armed. Tell me - despite the fact that you may not like me very much because I speak the truth and can back it up irrefutably... do you believe that my father should not have owned, and used, a gun? Do you think it would have been better for my family to have been victimized (and potentially killed) by this lowlife? My dad's use of a gun incapacitated the guy for long enough to get the cops over and haul him off. Because of the gun, a criminal was put in jail. Without the gun, four innocent people could have been killed. I vote for the gun.

My wife comes from Ohio. Not long ago, a state legislator from Ohio switched from the Democratic party to the Republican party because his family was robbed at gunpoint. Prior to that time, he was an anti-gun liberal. After that experience, which he and his family thankfully survived, he said words to the effect of "Never again do I want to be in a situation like that where I need a gun to protect myself and those I love, and don't have one"... and became a pro-gun Republican. (I can't dig up information on who he is.)

The people who want to commit crimes are going to get and use guns anyway. Open carry for law-abiding citizens, without a permit or license, merely levels the playing field... if you have a gun, people probably won't mess with you... much like few people would dare pick a fight with Mike Tyson for fear of getting beaten to within an inch of their lives.

The oft-used phrase is "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns". Look at the cities in this country that have comprehensive handgun laws which make it near-impossible to even possess a gun in your place of residence. Washington DC, New York City, Chicago, and others. Those cities have stratospheric rates of gun violence. I don't see these handgun laws preventing gun violence. But I did see a video where some armed thugs broke into a jewelry store to do a smash-and-grab... and the armed clerk began shooting at them. They ran out as fast as their legs could carry them, without taking a thing. Criminals want a path of low resistance. They are generally cowardly... which is to be expected, if they would take the route of being criminal.

There was a country that boasted, back in the previous century, about being the first country to have full registration of every handgun in the entire country. The country was Germany. The leader who did the boasting was Hitler. Still think restrictive gun laws are a great idea, y'all? Remember, if you have it registered and they know you have it, they can take it away. And if they're going to take a deadly weapon, you can rest assured they will come for it bearing deadly weapons to make sure that you don't try to defend your possession of that weapon by using it. That means, paradoxically enough, that those who favor anti-gun legislation are effectively depending upon guns to ensure that that legislation is enforced. ?!?!?!
Like I said before... not going to read this.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Like I said before... not going to read this.
Why am I (and I dare say, quite a few others), NOT suprised you don't want to read this? When one is young and naive and totally idealistic...then there is nothing worse than having your world vision destroyed by harsh reality and truth. Sorta like having to finally accept that there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny

Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
RomaniGypsy?

*STANDING OVATION*

Not just for your latest post, but for those preceding as well...

Thank you for summing up and explaining (in an extremely articulate manner) the simple truths of the matter. I wish I could have done it even a quarter's worth as well as you did!

It would be impossibly lengthy to mention and praise each of your points, so let me just note and add some commentary to a few of them...

1. You brought up something that many Americans do not realize (blame lots of it on our pathetic public education system). That is, the true intent of the Second Ammenment. Some of the anti-gun people use this general ingnorance as part of their propoganda. For instance, as Clinton did, when he spoke -- naturally bragging on what a hunter he was -- of the benefit of restricting guns which have "no real sporting purpose." Unfortunately, such has an appeal. Among those who don't realize 2nd ammendment is not about duck hunting, or even personal self-defence. Rather, that that larger intent was to assure that there would be an ultimate check on government tyranny via an armed populace with the means to resist it.

2. I like your example of the state-legislator in Ohio being unarmed and defenseless when it really mattered. No surprise he switched his stance when reality slapped him in the face. There is quite a bit to that old truism of, something like, "A conservative is often a liberal who has just been mugged!" LOL

3. You did an excellent job of detroying the playing of the "race card." It almost always represents the proverbial "red herring."

I could go on, but I am hungry and feel like having some fried eggs, bacon, and grits! Talk to all y'all later!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:18 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Why am I (and I dare say, quite a few others), NOT suprised you don't want to read this? When one is young and naive and totally idealistic...then there is nothing worse than having your world vision destroyed by harsh reality and truth. Sorta like having to finally accept that there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny
lol Well said. The truth can be a harsh teacher. Especially for somebody with such naive ideals.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:25 AM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
Quote:
RomaniGypsy?

*STANDING OVATION*

Not just for your latest post, but for those preceding as well...

Thank you for summing up and explaining (in an extremely articulate manner) the simple truths of the matter. I wish I could have done it even a quarter's worth as well as you did!

It would be impossibly lengthy to mention and praise each of your points, so let me just note and add some commentary to a few of them...

1. You brought up something that many Americans do not realize (blame lots of it on our pathetic public education system). That is, the true intent of the Second Ammenment. Some of the anti-gun people use this general ingnorance as part of their propoganda. For instance, as Clinton did, when he spoke -- naturally bragging on what a hunter he was -- of the benefit of restricting guns which have "no real sporting purpose." Unfortunately, such has an appeal. Among those who don't realize 2nd ammendment is not about duck hunting, or even personal self-defence. Rather, that that larger intent was to assure that there would be an ultimate check on government tyranny via an armed populace with the means to resist it.

2. I like your example of the state-legislator in Ohio being unarmed and defenseless when it really mattered. No surprise he switched his stance when reality slapped him in the face. There is quite a bit to that old truism of, something like, "A conservative is often a liberal who has just been mugged!" LOL

3. You did an excellent job of detroying the playing of the "race card." It almost always represents the proverbial "red herring."

I could go on, but I am hungry and feel like having some fried eggs, bacon, and grits! Talk to all y'all later!
Actually, I just don't have the will or the time to thoroughly read and respond to some stranger somewhere's novel. No offence to you guys, but I really don't care about you enough to start reading and writing massive responses to argue over the internet. No thanks

Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Actually, I just don't have the will or the time to thoroughly read and respond to some stranger somewhere's novel. No offence to you guys, but I really don't care about you enough to start reading and writing massive responses to argue over the internet. No thanks
LOL And again, I don't blame you for not reading it. On a tangent? Reckon your previously described "knife throwing" skills would have stopped the Luby's cafeteria mass killings (in Killeen, Texas). I have no reason to believe you don't have these skills. If you say you do, then ok, maybe you do.

BUT...how many knife fights have you ever actually been in? I mean in a real fight when what you can do on a dart-board, don't really matter. When you are facing an armed opponent who is hell-bent on either killing, or messing you up, bad? They came prepared to do just that. .

To draw a certain analogy? It is one thing to have taken, say, a course in "kick-boxing"...but quite another to actually have to apply those cosmetic skills against an experienced bar-room brawler who knows how to smash a beer bottle and use the jagged end on your face, quicker than you could ever think about getting your star-throw out. Or probably just kick you where it really hurts...

Point is, training makes a difference, I am sure...but it doesn't stack up a bit against an opponent who has been there and done that, long ago, and in real life...

I have the scars to prove my youthful stupidity in that regard...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
LOL And again, I don't blame you for not reading it. On a tangent? Reckon your previously described "knife throwing" skills would have stopped the Luby's cafeteria mass killings (in Killeen, Texas). I have no reason to believe you don't have these skills. If you say you do, then ok, maybe you do.

BUT...how many knife fights have you ever actually been in? I mean in a real fight when what you can do on a dart-board, don't really matter. When you are facing an armed opponent who is hell-bent on either killing, or messing you up, bad? They came prepared to do just that. .

To draw a certain analogy? It is one thing to have taken, say, a course in "kick-boxing"...but quite another to actually have to apply those cosmetic skills against an experienced bar-room brawler who knows how to smash a beer bottle and use the jagged end on your face, quicker than you could ever think about getting your star-throw out. Or probably just kick you where it really hurts...

Point is, training makes a difference, I am sure...but it doesn't stack up a bit against an opponent who has been there and done that, long ago, and in real life...

I have the scars to prove my youthful stupidity in that regard...
Very true. I'll bet on the experienced street fighter over the person who took a "self defense" course. In my youth I grew up in an area where you had to fight or else be a punk and be victimized on a daily basis. And the smart money is on the veteran street fighter over the class taught self defense "expert."

Old 11-18-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Very true. I'll bet on the experienced street fighter over the person who took a "self defense" course. In my youth I grew up in an area where you had to fight or else be a punk and be victimized on a daily basis. And the smart money is on the veteran street fighter over the class taught self defense "expert."
Well said, my friend. I grew up the same way, on the dirt roads of the poor whiteTexas/South. Those who have never been in a truly violent and serious confrontational situation, when it is for real, even though they may have a black-belt (in whatever), are often in for a very ugly surprise when they experience the first-hand reality of getting parking-lot stomped and their own blood blinding their eyes. It hurts, and it ain't fun. If I had known now what I didn't know back then, I would have kicked my own butt for ever being so stupid, and for not staying as far away from those joints and that crap as I could...

But I was young, and twenty-one, and no use to talk to me...:smack:

Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Well said, my friend. I grew up the same way, on the dirt roads of the poor whiteTexas/South. Those who have never been in a truly violent and serious confrontational situation, when it is for real, even though they may have a black-belt (in whatever), are often in for a very ugly surprise when they experience the first-hand reality of getting parking-lot stomped and their own blood blinding their eyes. It hurts, and it ain't fun. If I had known now what I didn't know back then, I would have kicked my own butt for ever being so stupid, and for not staying as far away from those joints and that crap as I could...

But I was young, and twenty-one, and no use to talk to me...:smack:
Yep at that age alot of us had to learn our lessons the hard way. I know I did as well. And like you sometimes that meant getting the beating of my life. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas