Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Pass an Open Carry Law for handguns?
Yes 46 58.23%
No 25 31.65%
Yes, maybe... 5 6.33%
No, but... 0 0%
Not Sure/Undecided 3 3.80%
A private citizen should NOT be allowed to carry at all 0 0%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM

220 posts, read 454,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
As a soon to be university student, I cannot disagree more emphatically. I will help fight off any temptations the Legislature has with brushing on this again.
Someone with a concealed handgun license can already carry pretty much everywhere else, It is already legal to carry on campus grounds and parking lots. So what difference does it make if they can also carry in campus buildings?

As it is right now people who want to legally carry a handgun while attending school are being forced to unholster their weapon and leave it in parked cars. Seems to me that that just makes it more likely that a gun will be stolen or potentially negligently discharged with the extra handling. It would be safer if the gun was just holstered on their person for the whole day.

Also how many security checkpoints do you go through while on campus, because those would be the only way to ensure someone does not have a weapon on their person illegally. On my campus I do not go through any and I prefer it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John26 View Post
Someone with a concealed handgun license can already carry pretty much everywhere else, It is already legal to carry on campus grounds and parking lots. So what difference does it make if they can also carry in campus buildings?

As it is right now people who want to legally carry a handgun while attending school are being forced to unholster their weapon and leave it in parked cars. Seems to me that that just makes it more likely that a gun will be stolen or potentially negligently discharged with the extra handling. It would be safer if the gun was just holstered on their person for the whole day.

Also how many security checkpoints do you go through while on campus, because those would be the only way to ensure someone does not have a weapon on their person illegally. On my campus I do not go through any and I prefer it that way.
I need peace of mind that the person sitting next to me, or across the room won't be able to do something stupid for whatever reason. Gun laws in this state are too lax anyway.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM

220 posts, read 454,148 times
Quote:
I need peace of mind that the person sitting next to me, or across the room won't be able to do something stupid for whatever reason.
Then you should probably live in a bunker by yourself then because there is absolutely nothing to prevent that right now or ever.

As I mentioned previously it's unlikely your school runs security checkpoints before you enter the buildings and I'm sure they don't do criminal background checks on all the students. Concealed handgun license holders do have criminal background checks run on them.

Quote:
Gun laws in this state are too lax anyway.
Have you thought of moving to Chicago, you might like the gun laws there?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Then you should probably live in a bunker by yourself then because there is absolutely nothing to prevent that right now or ever.

As I mentioned previously it's unlikely your school runs security checkpoints before you enter the buildings and I'm sure they don't do criminal background checks on all the students. Concealed handgun license holders do have criminal background checks run on them.

Have you thought of moving to Chicago, you might like the gun laws there?
I was thinking Canada. Very strict gun laws and some of the lowest crime rates in the developed world. For example, Toronto has more than half a million people than does Houston, yet, Houston still has homicide rate that is more than 4 times that of Toronto's.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:19 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
Quote:
I'd support open carry laws even though I'd prefer to concealed carry. It would be nice to have the option though.

What I'm really hoping will pass this legislative session is concealed carry on campus.

Campus Carry: What it IS and What it is NOT
I'd support that for faculty, but not for students.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
I was thinking Canada. Very strict gun laws and some of the lowest crime rates in the developed world. For example, Toronto has more than half a million people than does Houston, yet, Houston still has homicide rate that is more than 4 times that of Toronto's.
Sorry, Austinite, this abbreviated argument won't hunt either dogs or ducks. That is, to make the connection between gun-control laws (whether local, state, and/or national) as being indicitive of lowering the "murder" rate (which in itself is subject to degrees)?

Then it must first be shown that the "gun control" laws in question actually lowered the crime rate in comparrison to that before they were passed to begin with.

Would you like to discuss the violent crime rate in England before as coorelated with incremental gun-control laws passed since, and which now make it almost impossible for a private citizen to own one? You have the floor...

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-02-2012 at 10:10 PM..

Old 11-02-2012, 10:40 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,875 times
Quote:
I need peace of mind that the person sitting next to me, or across the room won't be able to do something stupid for whatever reason. Gun laws in this state are too lax anyway.
It can happen anywhere, no matter what the gun laws say.
Even in Canada:
Dawson College shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Concordia University massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
École Polytechnique massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-02-2012, 10:42 PM

Never said it couldn't happen, because it does. But you can mitigate.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,875 times
Quote:
Never said it couldn't happen, because it does. But you can mitigate.
Right, so there will always be some doubt, and no peace of mind.
Mitigate honest people from obtaining guns...criminals don't give a rats a$$ about the laws or systems put in place to mitigate. They will get what they want by any means possible.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Right, so there will always be some doubt, and no peace of mind.
Mitigate honest people from obtaining guns...criminals don't give a rats a$$ about the laws or systems put in place to mitigate. They will get what they want by any means possible.
They could be the most honest people on the planet, but if they are holding guns on them I don't want to be near them. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas