Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Like Grits?
Yes, yummy! 48 55.81%
No. No, no, no. 24 27.91%
Eh--they're okay. 12 13.95%
Never had 'em! 2 2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:11 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times

Advertisements

I eat grits occasionally, but with me, how I eat them changes from time to time. In the past, I would put butter in them. Now I use nothing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,773 times
Not even cheese?

Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Ooooh, you'll have to find that one for me, please! Sounds good!
You can find several versions of the grits-sausage casserole (which I had never heard of, but it does sound good, LOL!!) at allrecipes.com and cooks.com, as well as several others:

Cheese Sausage Grits Casserole Recipe (broken link)

Cooks.com - Recipes - Sausage-Grits-Egg Casserole

More Recipes Like Southern Grits Casserole - All Recipes

Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
The BEST cornbread, Southern-style, is the way that *I* make it. Stoneground cornmeal, buttermilk, eggs, salt, baking powder, baking soda and NO SUGAR and NO FLOUR, poured into a hot cast iron skillet with first a small layer of melted bacon fat sprinkled with a touch of cornmeal in the bottom of the pan. YUMMY!
My mom makes the BEST cornbread...and I have even used her recipe (which is nothing more than the original one on the back of the container, LOL)....

My cornbread tastes good, but it always ends up crumbling so much...and I can't figure out why...............I cut it (cast iron skillet, hot grease beforehand, etc.)...and it just goes to bits.

WHY?!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 AM

Cathy, what's your recipe? Mine is a little crumbly but not that bad. It holds up pretty well. Maybe you can compare yours. Here's mine:

Southern Buttermilk Cornbread

3 tablespoons bacon drippings (or vegetable oil)
2 eggs
1 ½ cups corn meal
½ to 1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ cups buttermilk

This cornbread is best baked in a 9 or 10-inch cast-iron skillet but if you don't have one, any 9 or 10-inch round baking dish will do fine.

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Put bacon drippings or oil in baking dish or skillet and let melt on stove. Meanwhile, mix together cornmeal, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Beat eggs in a separate bowl, add buttermilk and stir well. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well but don't overmix.
When oil is hot, sprinkle a teaspoon of cornmeal into the skillet. It should sizzle. This gives a nice crust on the bottom of the cornmeal.
Pour batter into pan. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cornbread will begin to pull away from sides of pan. Serve hot with butter.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Cathy, what's your recipe? Mine is a little crumbly but not that bad. It holds up pretty well. Maybe you can compare yours. Here's mine:

Southern Buttermilk Cornbread

3 tablespoons bacon drippings (or vegetable oil)
2 eggs
1 ½ cups corn meal
½ to 1 tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 ¼ cups buttermilk

This cornbread is best baked in a 9 or 10-inch cast-iron skillet but if you don't have one, any 9 or 10-inch round baking dish will do fine.

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Put bacon drippings or oil in baking dish or skillet and let melt on stove. Meanwhile, mix together cornmeal, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl. Beat eggs in a separate bowl, add buttermilk and stir well. Pour into dry ingredients and mix well but don't overmix.
When oil is hot, sprinkle a teaspoon of cornmeal into the skillet. It should sizzle. This gives a nice crust on the bottom of the cornmeal.
Pour batter into pan. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cornbread will begin to pull away from sides of pan. Serve hot with butter.
Thanks, Blue.....it seems like I remember resorting to muffins because the regular cooked in the skillet always crumbled badly when cut...

I'll give this a try!! Thanks again! I will probably have to learn how to adjust for high altitude, too, LOL!!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times
If you happen to be using flour and cornmeal, my aunt always told me to decrease the amount of flour, add to the amount of cornmeal and decrease amount of baking powder and I always increase amount of salt, just a little.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
If you happen to be using flour and cornmeal, my aunt always told me to decrease the amount of flour, add to the amount of cornmeal and decrease amount of baking powder and I always increase amount of salt, just a little.
I bet it is the flour that makes the most difference.....I will know as soon as I get some coarse stoneground cornmeal!!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Well, do let us know how it turns out for you!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Well, do let us know how it turns out for you!
I shall....thanks!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: