U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 'Texanisms" Are Part of Your Regular Use?
"Coke" for soft-drink 29 69.05%
"Y'all" for second-person plural pronoun 38 90.48%
"Yonder" 10 23.81%
Double-Modals (i.e. "might-could", "shouldn't oughta", etc) 10 23.81%
Emphasis on first syllable to make two syllables (i.e. "IN-surance", "IN-velope", etc) 10 23.81%
Rolling R's (i.e. "warsh" for "wash",etc). 3 7.14%
"Doodlebug" for "Roly-Poly" 13 30.95%
"Cotton-Pickin Hands" (as in mild, friendly critique of manners) 4 9.52%
Tex-izz as opposed to Tex-iss, when pronouncing our state 10 23.81%
Others (please list!). 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM

325 posts, read 413,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL Guilty of them all except the Tex-izz.

Can't believe you left out one of the most common saying of Texans . . . fixin' too.

So, if you'll excuse me now, all this polling has left me thirsty. I'm fixin' to go head down yonder to the store and get me a Coke.
Then there are the African American variants, "finna" and "finda."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,682,133 times
I hear the "cokes" one a lot still - as in restaurants,
ME: "What do you have to drink?"
SERVER: "We have coke, tea, coffee, and beer."
ME: "Cool, I'll take a Dr Pepper."
SERVER: "OK".

It's rare you hear someone say "sodas" or "pop" instead of "coke" if you ask.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,784,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Uh, no... it get's confusing to Native Texans who were born after the Carter administration.

No one in Texas cities use that, either.
I do

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM

20,816 posts, read 40,047,026 times
Quote:
Uh, no... it get's confusing to Native Texans who were born after the Carter administration.

No one in Texas cities use that, either.
I've given birth to Native Texans after the Carter administration who are not confused by it in the least. And I've lived in Texas cities - Dallas and Austin - and my husband grew up in San Antonio and we have friends and family there and visit quite a bit. It's not uncommon there, and no one's confused.

I think you're going to have to come up with some other, closer to home explanation for your own confusion!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM
JJG

13,566 posts, read 20,387,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've given birth to Native Texans after the Carter administration who are not confused by it in the least. And I've lived in Texas cities - Dallas and Austin - and my husband grew up in San Antonio and we have friends and family there and visit quite a bit. It's not uncommon there, and no one's confused.

I think you're going to have to come up with some other, closer to home explanation for your own confusion!
You're gonna have to tell me, because I've NEVER heard anyone in my 23 years of walking around this planet and in this state use "Coke" to refer to all sodas.

My family, my friends, people I grew up around.... never does this.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM

20,816 posts, read 40,047,026 times
Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but that does not mean that people your age and older (and younger) in Texas don't use it with no problem in communication whatsoever. You must have led a very sheltered life to have never heard it AND have it cause you confusion. After all, it's not like it's rocket science!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:35 PM
JJG

13,566 posts, read 20,387,830 times
Quote:
Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but that does not mean that people your age and older (and younger) in Texas don't use it with no problem in communication whatsoever. You must have led a very sheltered life to have never heard it AND have it cause you confusion. After all, it's not like it's rocket science!

Yeah, we're not on the same page, here.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:38 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,827,578 times
Quote:

I was born during Reagan and I heard it all the time growing up and still do. Coke is used in place of soft drink solidly in Texas.
Survey: What Is Your Generic Name For Soft Drinks? | The Kitchn

Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,903,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I was born during Reagan and I heard it all the time growing up and still do. Coke is used in place of soft drink solidly in Texas.
Survey: What Is Your Generic Name For Soft Drinks? | The Kitchn
Here is an even larger map (and link) to it, RonnieinDallas:

http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,903,255 times
Quote:
You're gonna have to tell me, because I've NEVER heard anyone in my 23 years of walking around this planet and in this state use "Coke" to refer to all sodas.

My family, my friends, people I grew up around.... never does this.
JJG, I think we have had this discussion before, and yeah, some of us are just talking past each other, a bit. But, from this point of view (just speaking for me, not everyone), I believe -- with all due respect -- you are making it quite a bit more complicated than it really is.

What is being said (and I definitely agree with it), is that the generic term "coke" in Texas/Southeast was pretty much comparable -- and still is -- with the applied usage of "soda" or "pop" in other parts of the country. It didn't mean it was/is always one and the same. It depended upon the circumstances.

Just as several others have alluded to? It was just to understand, not only what was meant, but just how and when it was meant. To ask, casually, "What kind of coke do you all want"? was comparable to asking, in the NE, "What kind of soda do you guys want"? And, of course, a "coke machine" was easily understood and naturally translated as being the coin-fed dispenser of the product...

Now, I will definitely agree that the generic "coke" is fading out in large urban areas, especially among younger people...and where many northern transplants never used/understood it to begin with. And also, yeah, there does seem to be a white/black application division as well. I don't know why, but there does...

So perhaps that is why you so seldom hear it in your experience and area...

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-05-2012 at 06:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas