U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 'Texanisms" Are Part of Your Regular Use?
"Coke" for soft-drink 29 69.05%
"Y'all" for second-person plural pronoun 38 90.48%
"Yonder" 10 23.81%
Double-Modals (i.e. "might-could", "shouldn't oughta", etc) 10 23.81%
Emphasis on first syllable to make two syllables (i.e. "IN-surance", "IN-velope", etc) 10 23.81%
Rolling R's (i.e. "warsh" for "wash",etc). 3 7.14%
"Doodlebug" for "Roly-Poly" 13 30.95%
"Cotton-Pickin Hands" (as in mild, friendly critique of manners) 4 9.52%
Tex-izz as opposed to Tex-iss, when pronouncing our state 10 23.81%
Others (please list!). 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,541,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Uh, no... it get's confusing to Native Texans who were born after the Carter administration.

No one in Texas cities use that, either.

I know people born during the freaking second Reagan administration who use the word "Coke" to refer to all sodas.

Speaking personally, I was born during the Ford years (blink and you missed it).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 09:36 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,246,442 times
Yep, I say coke as generic for soft drink. I grew up hearing "Y'all want a coke?" "Sure, whacha' got?" That is "coke" with a little "c". "Coke" is "Cocola". They usually had Dr Pepper or R-O-C.

I say y'all. You guys is too weird when you are talking to women.

Yonder is more a direction than a distance. A fer piece is distance.

I might could answer these questions for non-Texans.

My mother says warsh. For the life of her, she cannot say wash.

I have always called those roly-poly pillbugs "doodlebugs".

Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 AM

2,768 posts, read 4,915,831 times
Quote:
Uh, no... it get's confusing to Native Texans who were born after the Carter administration.
LOL There's definitely nothing confusing about it. It's not like it's some big conspiracy. My daughter was born well after the Carter administration as well as her friends. It is Coke for them.

Quote:
No one in Texas cities use that, either.
I beg to differ on that, I know it's used in cities. Also, I see your location is listed as Fort Worth, so if you listen hard, you'll hear me say it IN Fort Worth (along with a bunch of people - my friends, my daughter, her friends, for some). You must stay in an extremely small radius of Fort Worth and never get out of it to have never heard someone not refer to carbonated soft drinks as Cokes.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 AM
JJG

13,567 posts, read 20,398,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
LOL There's definitely nothing confusing about it. It's not like it's some big conspiracy. My daughter was born well after the Carter administration as well as her friends. It is Coke for them.

I beg to differ on that, I know it's used in cities. Also, I see your location is listed as Fort Worth, so if you listen hard, you'll hear me say it IN Fort Worth (along with a bunch of people - my friends, my daughter, her friends, for some). You must stay in an extremely small radius of Fort Worth and never get out of it to have never heard someone not refer to carbonated soft drinks as Cokes.
You people must be hearing something I'm not.

I'm sticking to what I've said.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Yep, I say coke as generic for soft drink. I grew up hearing "Y'all want a coke?" "Sure, whacha' got?" That is "coke" with a little "c". "Coke" is "Cocola". They usually had Dr Pepper or R-O-C.
R-O-C and a peanut rounder.

When my Daddy was asked if he wanted a coke, he'd sometimes say, "Sure, you got a Cocola"

Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
You people must be hearing something I'm not.
Too funny. Just remember, it's not only hearing it, it's saying it.

Quote:
I'm sticking to what I've said.
Seriously, it's no big deal. You should stick to what you said.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM

8,931 posts, read 12,628,532 times
I think everyone has a point, including JJG.

Living in two major southern cities, I mostly only heard people in their 50s and older refer to all carbonated drinks as "coke". In my experience, it wasn't until I was in smaller towns that I heard that term being used by young people. For the most part, I hear "soda" more than anything else.

It can be confusing for people who grew up understanding that "coke" referred only to Coca Cola.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,830,498 times
It's kind of like when you say seven at a bar. It's assumed you mean a lemon lime flavored soft drink as a mixer, but it could be sprite, 7up, or Sierra mist.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It's kind of like when you say seven at a bar. It's assumed you mean a lemon lime flavored soft drink as a mixer, but it could be sprite, 7up, or Sierra mist.
Good point. Rep point coming your way.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:29 AM

8,931 posts, read 12,628,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
And that would make perfect sense to someone who understands bar lingo, but not to someone who doesn't.

In most urban areas, if you order a "coke", they won't ask you which kind, but they'll bring you an actual Coke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas