Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
What's wrong with being in a purple state? Your vote actually matters there.
My thought exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
What's wrong with being in a purple state? Your vote actually matters there.
Your vote matters in every state. In order for the battle grounds to even matter the candidates need to have their base states won. FYI I didn't say anything was wrong with being purple just that the NC reference was way off base.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I wouldn't be the farm yet on Texas going blue or purple. Our area here is close to 1/2 Hispanic, but the vote was 70-75 percent Republican. Not only that, but look at the large Hispanic populations in San Antonio and El Paso, and there's still lots of Republican support in these areas. Many Hispanics come here to work, have families, jobs, career, businesses. They play golf. Many of them want the same life lots of white people do. My next door neighbor is Hispanic, and he's the supervisor at one of the USPS offices in town. He keeps his house up, drives nice vehicles. They don't like the idea of giving their money to a bunch of lazy dead beats any more than a lot of white people.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
^^^Hispanics have a very low voter turnout. The ones that do vote have a 70% chance of voting Democrat.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Not to mention that those areas around West Texas will soon become Downstate Illinois status meaning the urban vote will overwhelm the rural and small town vote. Looks at the maps. Most states have majority red counties. But hardly anyone lives in those counties. Texas is headed in that direction. Also, just because Texas could be a blue state doesn't mean it will be the same type of blue state as California or New York. People said the same thing about Virginia and Florida but the urban vote is starting to overcome the rural vote and its helping those states become purple. Again, if the Hispanics had a high voting turnout, the state would more likely be purple than solid red or solid blue. That's best anyway.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
^^^Hispanics have a very low voter turnout. The ones that do vote have a 70% chance of voting Democrat.
And remember that only US Citizens can vote. Many Hispanics are still Permanent Residents of their home country, not US Citizens.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 AM

933 posts, read 1,532,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Your vote matters in every state. In order for the battle grounds to even matter the candidates need to have their base states won. FYI I didn't say anything was wrong with being purple just that the NC reference was way off base.
Well... my vote was pretty pointless. Texas's electoral votes were never predicted to be contested and most of the races, even my congressional district race, were Republicans running unopposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas