Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,731,636 times

Advertisements

Notice in the article they only cite San Antonio officials. Its been apart of a movement spearheaded mostly from San Antonio to try and combine MSAs, so San Antonio can get more access to Austin business sector and branding. Both cities are doing extremely well; however, Austin tends to have more white-collar, technology-related businesses.

In contrast, there is no such talk among Austin officials. Culturally, the two cities are almost opposites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,309,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Notice in the article they only cite San Antonio officials. Its been apart of a movement spearheaded mostly from San Antonio to try and combine MSAs, so San Antonio can get more access to Austin business sector and branding. Both cities are doing extremely well; however, Austin tends to have more white-collar, technology-related businesses.

In contrast, there is no such talk among Austin officials. Culturally, the two cities are almost opposites.
I agree. I absolutely HATE the idea of that happening. Why can't we just remain separate and leave it at that?
I like the fact that Austin and San Antonio are so distinct and couldn't possibly be confused with each other.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post

But you've got Henry Cisneros running the show...
Quote:
Doing research to support consolidation of the two cities' markets was Cisneros' idea, Milloy added.
Expect the worst case result. It really is out of your hands.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM

578 posts, read 1,224,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I know, that's why I said Republicans, not Texas Republicans. But the Repubs in Texas tend to throw this around even more than usual when they have had a bad election night.
This small but vocal group of disgruntled republicans is no different than the small but vocal group of disgruntled democrats that wanted to either move to Canada or have the northeast break away and join Canada after the 2004 elections. I guess it is just how some people vent...I don't know. I'm young and conservative and disappointed in the overal results, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on the country.

To answer the original question...heck no. Why wld we want to do that? If you split up Texas, there is no more Texan identity...

Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
This small but vocal group of disgruntled republicans is no different than the small but vocal group of disgruntled democrats that wanted to either move to Canada or have the northeast break away and join Canada after the 2004 elections. I guess it is just how some people vent...I don't know. I'm young and conservative and disappointed in the overal results, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to give up on the country.

To answer the original question...heck no. Why wld we want to do that? If you split up Texas, there is no more Texan identity...
The funny thing is that many of those conservatives didn't know that Canada is the US if the Democrats got everything they wanted. Irony.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
Quote:
The funny thing is that many of those conservatives didn't know that Canada is the US if the Democrats got everything they wanted. Irony.
What?

The dems wanted to go to Canada not the conservatives.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,448,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
What?

I actually had a few so called Republicans say they wanted to move to Canada after the election..

Either they are Democrats in disguise, not knowledgeable at all about the culture and politics of other countries (which is sad because Canada is right next door..) and just vote and say what their parents tell them or they are just stupid..

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt though.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
What?

Believe it or not, the dimmer conservatives did want to go to Canada.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM

4,430 posts, read 5,324,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
I actually had a few so called Republicans say they wanted to move to Canada after the election..

Either they are Democrats in disguise, not knowledgeable at all about the culture and politics of other countries (which is sad because Canada is right next door..) and just vote and say what their parents tell them or they are just stupid..

I try to give them the benefit of the doubt though.
Quote:
Believe it or not, the dimmer conservatives did want to go to Canada.
Hmm I have never heard of this. I do have more liberal friends than conservatives based on many factors but I only recall the Hollywood liberals wanting to escape to the frozen tundra!

But I wouldn't doubt it because people get crazy over elections.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,474,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I suspect that the VAST majority of people, in or out of Texas, find secession talk too silly to spend the time to read much about it, much less to type anything. I am a Texan and an American, and I will be damned if I am going to even imply that the rest of my fellow Americans can go to hell just because of a presidential election. It is just WEAK. Cowardly, at best, and that is putting it nicely.
I think think the only people who find it "silly" are the people narrow minded enough to shrink it down to the civil war or red state vs blue state. It's much bigger than that and it's sad that many people don't even understand how their rights are being taken away. Maybe we should spend more time in history talking about the states that tried peacefully seceding from the soviet union and how their freedoms disappeared once they were forcefully annexed.

I'm not a secessionist, but secession is very American and Texan in essence. The United States was born out of secession. I guess many of us(loyalist) may have considered it treasonous to secede from The British Empire back during the revolution. The "traitors"/secessionists are now The United States greatest heroes. I must admit, that I am sympathetic to the idea. The main reason Texas joined the United States was for protection from Mexico. The United States has failed to protect the Texas/Mexico border and lets countless criminals come and go as they please. Thus, not keeping their end of the deal. The federal government has overstepped it's boundaries and is hardly ever in accordance to the constitution. The petition lists the passing of the NDAA and the TSA as blatant abuses upon the citizens of Texas by the federal government. Hard to argue with any of the points made in the petition.https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/BmdWCP8B

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 11-21-2012 at 02:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas