Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times

Advertisements

I've taken my family to the Big Texan several times. I've never been disappointed in the steaks but I've never tried the 72-ouncer. Sometimes there have been musicians in the dining area. At our table, I always have the fiddler play Bob Wills' Faded Love a tune I dearly love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 05:41 PM

748 posts, read 1,469,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Have you looked at their web site and web cam?

No, had never been on their site before. There's some great entertainment there... hehhe

Old 11-17-2012, 05:56 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
Have you looked at their web site and web cam?
I took a quick glance.....OMG, that's hilarious...LOL!! But I don't think I can watch it, at least not while I'm eating.

The menu.....they have mountain oysters.....that does it, I'm going to have to stop in for a big order of those. Not very many places serve them, and it's been a LONG time!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,684,184 times
I annoyed Cowboys fans when I spent a night in Amarillo back in January. I'm a Giants fan who was celebrating their upset win over the Packers that evening. Had a 24 ounce Prime Rim like us Yankees from NY enjoy. It was great with the seasoning. One of the best Prime Ribs I've ever had. Spent the night while moving to my current home in Phoenix.

I think Amarillo in general is neat despite the flatness. It has that rugged western flair that I love unlike East Texas which is basically the Gulf Coast and Arkansas combined geographically and culturally.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The menu.....they have mountain oysters.....that does it, I'm going to have to stop in for a big order of those. Not very many places serve them, and it's been a LONG time!
I consider myself a true Texan, having been born and raised in the Texas desert, and all my adult life in the Texas Panhandle.

That said, I have never, I mean NEVER eaten mountain oysters. The simple thought of doing so brings heaves. And makes me want to cross my legs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum0417
I think Amarillo in general is neat despite the flatness. It has that rugged western flair that I love unlike East Texas which is basically the Gulf Coast and Arkansas combined geographically and culturally.
Thanks Magnum, the immediate Amarillo area has been my home for the past couple of years. I like it here, the people are nice and the lifestyle just fits me. I have been incredibly fortunate to have spent 30 years in the area I have, since I have found innumerable nice people.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
I consider myself a true Texan, having been born and raised in the Texas desert, and all my adult life in the Texas Panhandle.

That said, I have never, I mean NEVER eaten mountain oysters. The simple thought of doing so brings heaves. And makes me want to cross my legs.....

Thanks Magnum, the immediate Amarillo area has been my home for the past couple of years. I like it here, the people are nice and the lifestyle just fits me. I have been incredibly fortunate to have spent 30 years in the area I have, since I have found innumerable nice people.
I intend to take the 10 hour drive from PHX to Amarillo again. It is my favorite town in TX. I've passed through for decades in the past before finally settling in PHX. Here's the thing. Everything from NY through OK was pure hell moving to PHX. When I stopped for gas in Mclean,TX that day in January and felt 70 degree temps with tumbleweed flying around in 40 MPH wind, it was quite an emotional lift for me.LOL. I knew I was back in the Wild West. Pretty good skyline for a city of Amarillo's size. The flatness is deceiving though. Cruise control does not work well going west from Shamrock to Vega on I 40. It is a continual steady grade uphill and if you are cruising at 80 MPH, your RPM's will be above a 5, sometimes close to red line levels. Especially between McLean and Amarillo.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 PM

18,136 posts, read 25,664,806 times
I've always liked Amarillo, been through there lots of times, but not recently. I knew a couple people who worked at the Hastings headquarter CD store at I-40 and Georgia. They once had a sidewalk sale on a few thousand cd's there years ago, almost went bankrupt buying tunes! They have 2 other Hastings in town, also a cool little used record shop called the Record Rack! Yep, chowed down at The Big Texan a time or two but didn't try the big steak though. Now! In my earlier years, heh heh heh!

Lot of friendly folks in Amarillo, saw the Moody Blues in 2000 at the Amarillo Civic Center downtown. Had a great time!! Only one problem in Amarillo--dem blizzards in February and March. One word description there-YIKES!!

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've always liked Amarillo, been through there lots of times, but not recently. I knew a couple people who worked at the Hastings headquarter CD store at I-40 and Georgia. They once had a sidewalk sale on a few thousand cd's there years ago, almost went bankrupt buying tunes! Yep, chowed down at The Big Texan a time or two but didn't try the big steak though. Now! In my earlier years, heh heh heh!

Lot of friendly folks in Amarillo, saw the Moody Blues in 2000 at the Amarillo Civic Center downtown. Had a great time!!
Has the most diverse climate in the state, the next best thing to The Grand Canyon for hiking enthusiasts and a lot more character and charm than Lubbock.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 AM

3,304 posts, read 5,730,677 times
How strange! I like to watch CBS Sunday morning news with Charles Osgood and when it came on a few minutes ago, they announced one of their segments on today's show was about eating a 72 oz. in a place in Texas and then they showed a picture of the Big Texan with a guy holding up the huge slab of meat.

How funny! They haven't gotten to the story yet, but it shouldn't be long.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I've always liked Amarillo, been through there lots of times, but not recently. I knew a couple people who worked at the Hastings headquarter CD store at I-40 and Georgia. They once had a sidewalk sale on a few thousand cd's there years ago, almost went bankrupt buying tunes! They have 2 other Hastings in town, also a cool little used record shop called the Record Rack! Yep, chowed down at The Big Texan a time or two but didn't try the big steak though. Now! In my earlier years, heh heh heh!

Lot of friendly folks in Amarillo, saw the Moody Blues in 2000 at the Amarillo Civic Center downtown. Had a great time!! Only one problem in Amarillo--dem blizzards in February and March. One word description there-YIKES!!
When I lived in Lubbock, I made the occasional trip up here for events of some sort or another, to visit friends, and to hit record stores. Ralph's Records used to have a place up here too, well worth the trip. As for concerts, Lubbock generally had what Amarillo did, so never made it up for one.

The blizzards though... We don't get 'em every year. Last year we really had none, the year before dumped one on us. Lots of folks around here say there is some sort of "snow fence" between Amarillo and Lubbock. Amarillo will get hit with blizzard conditions, shutting down I-40 even, while and hour and a half away in Lubbock, they just get a little snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas