Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Do you mean avoid Austin as in don't go there at all? May I ask why?

We're actually aiming to see both places by staying in one town for 2 or 3 nights and taking a day trip to the other. Checking out Mapquest, it looks like it takes approximately the same time getting to either one from California, and takes around the same time getting from either town to Houston give or take.

I just need to figure out which place has more of what we want to see, so I guess I'll wander over to that "other" trip advice... er "question and answer" place. (trying to avoid the big bold MOD CUT competition thingy) Both places sound nice, but it seems Austin might be more geared toward collage age kids?

Thanks!
He's probably just one of the people on CD forum that likes to provoke city vs. city nonsense. Do visit Austin. Both San Antonio and Austin are filled with hundreds of years of history.

May I ask what kind of activities are you planning to do while in either city? Are you looking for outdoor type things? Museums and historical type things? Or maybe more entertainment heavy, like restraints, bars, entertainment districts, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Good to know there's a tornado shelter on route, and yup we'll watch the weather for sure.

I've always heard that springtime is when the tornados appear the most. Is there a certain time in spring they are most active?
We still haven't decided whether when in spring we'll be going. We're looking at either March or early May.
Is the weather still okay in May or does it start getting really hot and humid? I won't go near that area in July or August! I'm afraid I'd melt!
(Plus I have asthma and hear it can get real muggy in summer)

Thanks for the trip tips everyone!
Austin is usually very beautiful in the spring time. It's like your are wearing HD glasses and all the lush greens and loud reds and blues pop out at you. Plus, spring is usually when the temperature moderates and you get amazing 71-76 degree weather. But yes, spring time does bring the occasional supercell storm.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:40 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Default Thanks Austinite!

You mentioned it's very pretty in spring and we do love taking pictures of beautiful scenery.
We definitely would be interested in renting bikes so we can just explore the scenery or neighborhoods, especially if there are any historic houses etc.

We wouldn't mind going to an area specific museum, (not necessarily an art museum for instance) although not in dire need of visiting a mission since we have a very old one in San Juan Capistrano close to where we live. However, wouldn't mind getting any tips on fave Mexican or Tex Mex restaurants... we never tire of that! The hotter and more authentic the better, especially if it's a local favorite!

We like poking around unique shops and such a bit, but not heavily into shopping, (to the relief of my hubby! LOL!) although we love people watching in downtown areas.

In Austin, we wouldn't mind going to a casual place to hear some blues or something "Austiny". As far as bars, crowds, and drinking, maybe in short doses, but not a huge priority. (The same with our son IF he goes with us) I would however like to see the dedication to Stevie Ray Vaughn, even if it will make me sad.
About three months before he died (geesh, what over 20 years ago?) I ran into him at our local Orange County airport. I was waiting to pick up my (then) husband from a business trip. It was late at night, and hardly anyone around, and there stood Stevie Ray waiting for his luggage! He had no entourage, it was just him and although I wasn't very familiar with a lot of his music I recognized him right away with his trademark long coat and hat! So I went up to say hello and he was very gracious. I recognized his "recovery" ear ring, and having "been there, done that" myself, we had a nice chat about all that. He was so warm and sweet, and after all he'd been through it was nice to see him look so happy and peaceful. I was so sad to hear about his death a few months later! What a loss of talent and loss of a sweet human being. So yeah, I feel a bit of a calling to see his memorial.

Anyway, thanks again, and thanks for any other advice you wish to share! I appreciate it!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:34 AM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times
Quote:
Good to know there's a tornado shelter on route, and yup we'll watch the weather for sure.

I've always heard that springtime is when the tornados appear the most. Is there a certain time in spring they are most active?
We still haven't decided when in spring we'll be going. We're looking at either March or early May.
Is the weather still okay in May or does it start getting really hot and humid? I won't go near that area in July or August! I'm afraid I'd melt!

Really, do not worry about tornadoes. If the sky get black and the rain comes down so hard you cannot see, then there will probably be a tornado around somewhere, but more than likely you would have to drive like crazy just to get a glimpse.

Two or three days? I would consider staying near New Braunfels, or Gruene and driving into San Antonio and up to Austin. It will be too cold in early spring to tube the Comal river, but a steak at the Gristmill is always in order. (Near the Guadalupe, in Gruene, north of New Braunfels,, but you can really tell where one ends and the other begins anymore.)

Of course it you need night life then New Braunfels may be too quite, but Gruene might be interesting either way.

Gruene Hall is an old run down building in Gruene, (Looks like most of the other building actually.) It is the oldest dance hall in Texas.

Gruene Hall - New Braunfels, TX

On the other hand, shopping and hanging out near the river are available too.

WELCOME TO GRUENE TEXAS!

But you really need to get down to the Alamo and kick around downtown San Antonio for a day, and a drive up to Austin is not a bad idea either. Last time I was there I intended to canoe through the city but we never got around to it.

If you have never been in a cave, the Natural Bridge Caverns is nice.

If you come in late May, the weather will probably be warm enough to tube the Guadalupe River or the Comal. However, I would try late March. You may or may not need an Air Conditioner then, but it should be nice enough.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Rather then back tracking with a day trip between Austin and SA, I'd recommend you drive into SA and stay two nights in a hotel along the riverwalk, then do the same think in Austin. Both places have plenty to see and do and that way you will be more rested and relaxed and enjoy exploring more then if you try to do a day trip which requires a 3 hour round trip driving to and from Austin or SA.

Tucson to San Antonio is a long drive. You will need a good nights rest before you will enjoy doing much exploring the next day. I recommend staying at the historic Menger Hotel and exploring the Riverwalk and La Villita the next day. Lots of nice restaurants, shops and bars along the Riverwalk and live music. And they do have boat rides on the river.

Downtown San Antonio Hotels | Menger Hotel, Texas

The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

La Villita Historic Arts Village in Downtown San Antonio

Drive on to Austin the next day. Stop for lunch at the Grist Mill in Gruene Texas on the way to Austin. http://www.gristmillrestaurant.com/

Austin has a lot of great hike and bike trails. Austin Hike And Bike Trails Probably one of the most scenic is along Lady Bird Lake downtown. Austin Hike And Bike Trails » Blog Archive » Town Lake Hike and Bike Ten miles of interconnecting trails, all very easy to negotiate. The Stevie Ray Vaughn statue is along this trail.

You can rent bikes two blocks from that trail at this location. Bike Rentals, Austin Tour, Barton Springs Bike Rental, Austin, Texas, TX

Or rent Segway scooters here, it is also close to the hike and bike trail. Austin Texas Segway Tours | Austin Sightseeing Tours | Team Building | Gliding Revolution

In Austin I would stay at the historic Driskill Hotel. Downtown Austin Hotels | The Driskill Hotel | Historic Texas Hotels It is right on the 6th Street entertainment district. Take in a show at Esther's Follies on 6th street. Home - Esther's Follies It is a combination music, dance, comedy, magic show that is always a lot of fun. Austin does have a lot of college kids but you will find people of all ages enjoying the entertainment district. We are retired but always take out of town guests down there for an evening out. For mexican food downtown I like Cantina Laredo A short drive North of downtown can take you to Fonda San Miguel ~ Austin, Tx Some of the best interior Mexican food that can be had anywhere. And one of the prettiest restaurants I have ever seen.

The Austin Chronicle is a good place to check out what music and other events are playing on any given day. Austin News, Events, Restaurants, Music - The Austin Chronicle

Visit the Bob Bullock State History Museum on the north side of downtown, across from the State Capital. Home - Bullock Texas State History Museum - The Story of Texas

No need to worry about Tornadoes, they are very rare, in the 35 years I have lived in Austin I have only seen two and from a long distance away. Neither one did much damage.

The weather in May should be wonderful. It starts getting hot in late June. Intellicast - Austin Historic Weather Averages in Texas (78723)

Old 11-20-2012, 10:20 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
San Antonio also has historic Market Square (El Mercado) Mi Tierra which is in Market Square is a good place for tex-Mex and pretty touristy. Maby also go up in the Tower Of Americas and check out the great view of the city there's an observation deck and Revolving restaurant at the top. Austin also has plenty to do a few other things you can is is you can tour the State Capitol or the Governers Mansion there's the LBJ Library maby check out the shops on South Congress Ave (SoCo) or 2nd Street.

San Antonio

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

http://www.sanantonio.gov/marketsquare/default.aspx

Mi Tierra Restaurant & Bakery

Tower of the Americas - Taking Entertaiment & Fine Dining to New Heights.

Pearl Brewery : San Antonio, Texas

Buckhorn Museum Texas Ranger Museum - Home Page

Welcome to the Witte Museum in San Antonio, Texas

Austin

Austin, TX | Explore Hotels, Music, Restaurants, and Things to Do

6th street austin, texas - a TOTAL austin entertainment guide.

The Texas Capitol Visitors Center

LBJ Presidential Library

Welcome to First Thursday, South Congress Ave. Merchant News

2ND Street District | Austin, Texas

Stubb's BBQ - Live Music | Cold Beer | Austin, TX

The Salt Lick

Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 AM

Default Thanks!!

Hey wow! Thanks for all the great info and links! I can see I have some homework to do!

Yeah, I'm now thinking we could drive into San Antonio in the evening, stay two nights so we get a full day in between, then drive on to Austin, spend one night, then go to Houston from there.

We may also need to break the trip up a bit more coming from California... that part is a long haul!

Thanks again!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:34 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
I'd stay in San Antonio and day-trip to Austin - more to see and do in San Antonio (Alamo, Riverwalk, missions, Market Square, Tower of the Americas, etc), and then you could visit Austin for the downtown bar/music scene. And as for tornadoes, they don't just drop out of a clear blue sky - a huge visible storm accompanies them, and you'll be well aware that things aren't right before one falls out of the sky. But they are rare, although they do happen. Enjoy your trip and your time in Texas!!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:

We still haven't decided when in spring we'll be going. We're looking at either March or early May.

Just bring your portable earthquake shelter ... they work well in tornadoes too!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Just bring your portable earthquake shelter ... they work well in tornadoes too!
Okay, I'll dig it out of storage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas