Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Excessive growth is going to be our downfall. We don't have the natural resources to handle this, that's what really has me concerned.
Parts of Texas, such as Austin have been pretty much overrun, and can't keep up with the growth. Water is going to be the big issue.

Having said that, if I come home, I'm going to a very isolated part of the state (far West Texas) where there aren't that many people.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Parts of Texas, such as Austin have been pretty much overrun, and can't keep up with the growth. Water is going to be the big issue.
Exactly. This has me very concerned.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Exactly. This has me very concerned.
Me too. People think Texas is a land of endless opportunity where suburbs can continue to sprawl lazily in all directions, but at least in north Texas that isn't the case. There is intense pressure on our electrical grid system and increasing pressure on our water system. If people keep moving here at today's rates, in a few years we are going to have very serious problems with electricity and water provision unless the lege steps up and invests the necessary money in infrastructure...which we know they won't. So, private companies may step up to the plate but of course every customer is going to pay for it in increased utility costs...all because people from CA wanted lower taxes and a 5,000 sq ft house. Thanks a pantload y'all!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM

795 posts, read 1,584,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Me too. People think Texas is a land of endless opportunity where suburbs can continue to sprawl lazily in all directions, but at least in north Texas that isn't the case. There is intense pressure on our electrical grid system and increasing pressure on our water system. If people keep moving here at today's rates, in a few years we are going to have very serious problems with electricity and water provision unless the lege steps up and invests the necessary money in infrastructure...which we know they won't. So, private companies may step up to the plate but of course every customer is going to pay for it in increased utility costs...all because people from CA wanted lower taxes and a 5,000 sq ft house. Thanks a pantload y'all!
So youre blaming all this solely on California transplants? What about all the other states people are coming here from?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
So youre blaming all this solely on California transplants? What about all the other states people are coming here from?

California is sending the largest number of people here. Obviously overpopulation is a problem no matter where people are coming from but if you took away the California transplants, the problem wouldn't be nearly as severe.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

California is sending the largest number of people here. Obviously overpopulation is a problem no matter where people are coming from but if you took away the California transplants, the problem wouldn't be nearly as severe.
Instead of rolling your eyes how bout you provide some statistics that prove your claim?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Not to mention other countries. In the DFW area, 26% of new growth is international. In Houston, I think the number is closer to 30%.

If you break it down as well, lots of new people coming from Midwestern states like Illinois and Northeaster cities too. I dont understand the dislike for us at all. Fortunately, I have never encountered such distaste in person. Just on CD.

In the end, its all good. Texans and everyone else are just going to have to learn to roll with it.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Instead of rolling your eyes how bout you provide some statistics that prove your claim?
This is common knowledge in DFW. Research it yourself.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
No, it's a common complaint in DFW. But complaints aren't immediately true simply be virtue of being a complaint. If you want to make positive claims about something, you should be prepared to back up that claim with something more than bellyaching.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Common complaint in DFW maybe but with no proof at all. Exactly what I thought. You were the one who made the claim so the burden of proof is on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas