U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM

374 posts, read 703,879 times

Advertisements

I always get a chuckle out of Democrats when they start pretending they are on the verge of turning Texas blue. They were making the same noise during the Clinton years.

Rate this post positively

Old 03-05-2014, 04:52 PM

4,640 posts, read 7,789,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
I always get a chuckle out of Democrats when they start pretending they are on the verge of turning Texas blue. They were making the same noise during the Clinton years.
That's a bad representation considering you posted maps from only 1996 and 2000. Lets add 2008 and 2012 to your list of maps and see if your opinion holds true.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:18 PM

12,510 posts, read 24,431,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
That's a bad representation considering you posted maps from only 1996 and 2000. Lets add 2008 and 2012 to your list of maps and see if your opinion holds true.
I don't see a blue Tarrant County...

Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,362,158 times
Quote:
Well how interesting that we had a discussion a couple of weeks ago about politics in the state of Texas. Well the democratic party appears to be concentrating its efforts on turning Tarrant County blue. Here is a excerpt out of the Star-Telegram.

Tarrant County can expect to get a lot of attention over the next two years as Democrats continue their uphill climb to try to turn Texas - one of the most Republican red states in the nation - blue.For the second presidential election in a row, Tarrant statistically was the bellwether county in the state - meaning that the election results in the county more closely mirrored statewide election results than the other 253 counties in the state.
That makes Tarrant the clearest microcosm of the state.
And while Democrats are gaining strength in the state's other urban areas, Tarrant has remained staunchly Republican. So the thinking of some political strategists is that if the Democrats are going to regain power in Texas, they've got to turn Tarrant County.

In politics, where Tarrant County goes, Texas follows | Elections & Politics | News from...
I've been Mex-American for 50 years and came of age in the terrible Reagan era. Reagan was very anti-minority, anti-gay, anti-progress and the some of the Repub voters in my county appeared to be really racist. Those were my first impressions of the Republican party at 18 years old. Many more years of witnessing the same didn't convert me to Republicanism even as I got more conservative with age. I'm now not happy with either party, but would most likely vote Dem to get some sense of "balance" back into our State. I want to see Texas be a two-party state again during my lifetime. Wendy Davis is probably too liberal for my tastes, but I'll vote for her anyway. We desperately need good leadership in Texas after so many years of socially retarded governors. Most in my family voted Dem except my youngest sis, her husband and my nephew. It was business related since the Repubs' policies favored their business. In local elections, even they vote Dem however. Some of my brother-in-law's hyper Catholic middle class friends voted Repub in the POTUS over abortion. To us, the Hispanic Repub candidates appear to be opportunist "Tio Tacos".

Old 03-05-2014, 08:57 PM

121 posts, read 130,204 times
Quote:
Well how interesting that we had a discussion a couple of weeks ago about politics in the state of Texas. Well the democratic party appears to be concentrating its efforts on turning Tarrant County blue. Here is a excerpt out of the Star-Telegram.

Tarrant County can expect to get a lot of attention over the next two years as Democrats continue their uphill climb to try to turn Texas - one of the most Republican red states in the nation - blue.For the second presidential election in a row, Tarrant statistically was the bellwether county in the state - meaning that the election results in the county more closely mirrored statewide election results than the other 253 counties in the state.
That makes Tarrant the clearest microcosm of the state.
And while Democrats are gaining strength in the state's other urban areas, Tarrant has remained staunchly Republican. So the thinking of some political strategists is that if the Democrats are going to regain power in Texas, they've got to turn Tarrant County.
[LEFT]
Read more here: In politics, where Tarrant County goes, Texas follows | Elections & Politics | News from...
[/LEFT]

In politics, where Tarrant County goes, Texas follows | Elections & Politics | News from...
To alter Texas politics, one would need to alter its governmental structure of built in less government. As it stands, the executive branch of Texas government has five presidents. They are the governor, the Lt. governor, the Comptroller, the Land Commissioner, and the Attorney General. By saying they are each a president means they don't answer to themselves. In fact, at times, the Lt. Governor has been a more powerful position than governor.

At the same time, our legislature only meets once every two years to conduct business. If an urgent matter arises, the governor calls a special session.

And Texas has two supreme courts. One handles legal law while the other handles civil matters.

Texas has to have a balanced budget by state amendment. When the state surpasses that figure, the comptroller takes the legislature to court. The Land Commissioner exists to handle matters concerning land that Texas got to keep by treaty after it joined the Union. We have five equal tyrants in Texas doing what one tyrant does for the United States. The Attorney General of Texas does not answer to the governor.

When Texas crafted its new government, it did so looking at the already corrupt system of the United States. In fact, after becoming a new Republic, the state could have chosen to join the Republic of Mexico instead of the Republic of the United States.

So, I wish the Democrats the best in altering our limited for of government in Texas. I guess one way they could force the issue is by allowing the whole world to vote in our elections. Must like the NBA does in the process of electing their players to play in the All Star game. Vote as much as you can all you want.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I've been Mex-American for 50 years and came of age in the terrible Reagan era. Reagan was very anti-minority, anti-gay, anti-progress and the some of the Repub voters in my county appeared to be really racist. Those were my first impressions of the Republican party at 18 years old. Many more years of witnessing the same didn't convert me to Republicanism even as I got more conservative with age. I'm now not happy with either party, but would most likely vote Dem to get some sense of "balance" back into our State. I want to see Texas be a two-party state again during my lifetime. Wendy Davis is probably too liberal for my tastes, but I'll vote for her anyway. We desperately need good leadership in Texas after so many years of socially retarded governors. Most in my family voted Dem except my youngest sis, her husband and my nephew. It was business related since the Repubs' policies favored their business. In local elections, even they vote Dem however. Some of my brother-in-law's hyper Catholic middle class friends voted Repub in the POTUS over abortion. To us, the Hispanic Repub candidates appear to be opportunist "Tio Tacos".
I'm not going to touch this issue with a ten foot pole. Let me just say that I've got backup states to move to in case Texas falls into the abyss. One is North Dakota where I've promised to bring a shovel to fill in all those badlands they have out west in order to make it productive farm land. Another is Alaska where I can hide in the wilderness becoming a mountain man living a life of sustenance.

However, being that I am single, there are only a few women in Alaska which is going to be a major problem, but I guess in the end that is their problem to work out. Get packing ladies! We are moving north to gold, to opportunity, and to freedom!

Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM

19,429 posts, read 29,107,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
That doesn't prove anything. 2000 had Bush and Texas was voting for him no matter what. Heck Travis county went red in 2000.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,916,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That doesn't prove anything. 2000 had Bush and Texas was voting for him no matter what. Heck Travis county went red in 2000.
Only because Nader split the Democratic vote.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texans don't hold true to their preferential baby blue and hot pink political views when voting on the national level. And why is it always assumed that minorities will vote for the destruction of our nation and its economy?

Really, as long as our limited form of government continues working in Texas, why even have a two-party system? Instead, let's just make the government even smaller. Indeed, people in each county, city, and local government should determine what is best for themselves. When the government does everything for us, we become dull witted and lose our creativity. At the same time, a government of lawyers have never created anything functional outside of a destructive army. Instead, they have worked to maintain the status of destruction up in Washington haven't they? We need to root out every attorney from working in public office and get some real people like Dr. Ron Paul in there who know something about surviving and making a profit.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:41 PM

587 posts, read 860,294 times
Keep dreaming Crips! Texas is Bloods turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas