U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:40 AM

8,931 posts, read 12,690,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That is fair enough, Nairobi, but what IS, in your opinion, the perfectly balanced commentator? Does that person exist, even?
I can't think of anyone, off the top of my head. She is far from it. That's my point.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 PM

10,165 posts, read 17,957,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can't think of anyone, off the top of my head. She is far from it. That's my point.
But one has to have a point of reference, Nairobi, which is my point, to (IMO), label her as hateful or whatever.

Of course Ann Coulter is biased. So am I am and so are you. She is paid to write personal editorials and columns, not objective news stories. You and I would be the same way if paid to do so. And nothing wrong with it.

Hell, I freely admit most of my stuff is slanted to my way of thinking.

The difference is something like this:

News story:

Walter Cronkite, the natitional icon whom some called "the most trusted man in America", passed away (whenever). He was known for his anchoring the CBS NEWS and ending with "and that's the way it is"

On the other hand?

I would probably give it an editorial slant like:

Walter Cronkite, often referred to as the most trusted man in America, was a likeable man, but also a pompous blowhard who let his success go to his head. He was biased, slanted in presentation, and totally out of touch with most Americans...

Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 PM

I never said she wasn't allowed to be biased, but your earlier comment was "like her, love her, hate her, she speaks the truth". The truth isn't biased. It's inarguable and is only supported by facts.

Again, she's entitled to her opinions. I was simply taking issue with your claim that she always speaks the truth.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I never said she wasn't allowed to be biased, but your earlier comment was "like her, love her, hate her, she speaks the truth". The truth isn't biased. It's inarguable and is only supported by facts.

Again, she's entitled to her opinions. I was simply taking issue with your claim that she always speaks the truth.
Ok, that is fair enough. What I meant was, originally, regardless of her presention and point of the issue (whatever it might be), she does speak of undeniable facts. So does Chris Mathews. They just put their own ideological spin on it.

And to follow up, what so many on the left despise about Ann Coulter is that she takes plain facts and presents them in a manner that just irks liberals to death. Because they can't deny the facts themselves...

IMHO, this is the one thing, a primary thing, that liberals cannot tolerate (for all their opining about "tolerance)...anything that goes against their world vision. This cannot be tolerated, dontcha know?

Here is -- tell me if you agree or disagree -- a dichotomy:

The issue being, oh, say, the undeniable fact that young black males are prone -- far out of proportion to their numbers -- to commit violent crimes of a random nature?

Is that true or not? FBI stats say so.

But ok...

Ann (and lots of black conservatives, too, far as that goes) writes a column which takes those facts and the ultimate point being that liberal policies over the years has done nothing but create a generation of rap dependent kids with no sense of morality at all. Kill somebody over their color or tennis shoes. This is the obvious end of our permisive society, that tolerates the most outrageous behavior....and is too cowardly to backtrack...

(Liberal): These facts that recently came out of the Justice Department are only indicitive of societies failure to fulfil our own obligations to correct the same. With the right amount of money, othewise used on buying weapons of mass destruction, we could educate a chld and he not become a gansta...

Or whatever...you know what I mean.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, that is fair enough. What I meant was, originally, regardless of her presention and point of the issue (whatever it might be), she does speak of undeniable facts. So does Chris Mathews. They just put their own ideological spin on it.

And to follow up, what so many on the left despise about Ann Coulter is that she takes plain facts and presents them in a manner that just irks liberals to death. Because they can't deny the facts themselves...

IMHO, this is the one thing, a primary thing, that liberals cannot tolerate (for all their opining about "tolerance)...anything that goes against their world vision. This cannot be tolerated, dontcha know?

Here is -- tell me if you agree or disagree -- a dichotomy:

The issue being, oh, say, the undeniable fact that young black males are prone -- far out of proportion to their numbers -- to commit violent crimes of a random nature?

Is that true or not? FBI stats say so.

But ok...

Ann (and lots of black conservatives, too, far as that goes) writes a column which takes those facts and the ultimate point being that liberal policies over the years has done nothing but create a generation of rap dependent kids with no sense of morality at all. Kill somebody over their color or tennis shoes. This is the obvious end of our permisive society, that tolerates the most outrageous behavior....and is too cowardly to backtrack...

(Liberal): These facts that recently came out of the Justice Department are only indicitive of societies failure to fulfil our own obligations to correct the same. With the right amount of money, othewise used on buying weapons of mass destruction, we could educate a chld and he not become a gansta...

Or whatever...you know what I mean.
Yeah, I'm not getting into all that. I made my point already.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not getting into all that. I made my point already.
Then we will agree to both agree and disagree, ok?

Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,234,573 times
Quote:
Walter Cronkite, often referred to as the most trusted man in America, was a likeable man, but also a pompous blowhard who let his success go to his head. He was biased, slanted in presentation, and totally out of touch with most Americans...
Alright... now we're getting some good reflection on anybody's media.

Growing up we had only two stations and Cronkite was not one of them. My dad watched Huntley/Brinkley. I was outside digging holes and kicking dirt. I'm the only libertarian in the family.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
JJG

13,589 posts, read 20,483,423 times
Quote:
Why is that not good? I mean, to associate with one group over another? We all do it. You do too. It is just human nature.

But to hone it in a bit on your reference ("our blacks are better than their blacks"?). I never said it that way, but yeah, now that you mention it? Yes, I will say outright that -- in terms of commonalities of customs and manners and etc, etc?. Yep, I believe that Southern whites and blacks have -- on some levels -- much more in common with one another than do Southern whites and northern whites.

I never will forget the story a black professor once told me, when I was in college. He was from North Carolina, and went to Kent State (Ohio), and his roomate was a white guy from Alabama. They became the closest of friends (and still are, far as I know), for the simple reason they "understood each other", in a way that was unfathomable to the white upper-class yankee kids.

The black man was the token black, and the white guy was the dart board. But yet? They got along with one another, because they came from a common background and region that trancended all other superficial considerations. They were both Southerners and were...hell, "authentic", I guess is the nowdays word. But whatever it was, it apparently beat the hell out of any other relationships.

So to come back the full circle? I can totally relate to that (the above). I am not, nor will ever pretend to be, a "politically correct" person, which includes racial issues. For instance, I think the Brown decision ranks right up there with the Roe v. Wade, as the worst constitutional mandates ever decreed.

In lots of ways, Southern blacks and Southern whites have more in common with one another than do Southern whites and northern whites. And if that translates -- as you put it -- into that "our blacks are "better" than their blacks"? Then ok, so be it. But you phrased it that way, I didn't.
Yeah, all that veered completely away from my point.

The fact that anyone would think themselves above someone in anyway is always disgusting, to me.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,718,904 times
Quote:
Why is that not good? I mean, to associate with one group over another? We all do it. You do too. It is just human nature.

But to hone it in a bit on your reference ("our blacks are better than their blacks"?). I never said it that way, but yeah, now that you mention it? Yes, I will say outright that -- in terms of commonalities of customs and manners and etc, etc?. Yep, I believe that Southern whites and blacks have -- on some levels -- much more in common with one another than do Southern whites and northern whites.

I never will forget the story a black professor once told me, when I was in college. He was from North Carolina, and went to Kent State (Ohio), and his roomate was a white guy from Alabama. They became the closest of friends (and still are, far as I know), for the simple reason they "understood each other", in a way that was unfathomable to the white upper-class yankee kids.

The black man was the token black, and the white guy was the dart board. But yet? They got along with one another, because they came from a common background and region that trancended all other superficial considerations. They were both Southerners and were...hell, "authentic", I guess is the nowdays word. But whatever it was, it apparently beat the hell out of any other relationships.

So to come back the full circle? I can totally relate to that (the above). I am not, nor will ever pretend to be, a "politically correct" person, which includes racial issues. For instance, I think the Brown decision ranks right up there with the Roe v. Wade, as the worst constitutional mandates ever decreed.

In lots of ways, Southern blacks and Southern whites have more in common with one another than do Southern whites and northern whites. And if that translates -- as you put it -- into that "our blacks are "better" than their blacks"? Then ok, so be it. But you phrased it that way, I didn't.
I suppose that might be, but minorities in Texas have the same voting patterns as just about anywhere else.

The point your trying to make is kind of a reach and pretty irrelevant when taking statistics into consideration.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I suppose that might be, but minorities in Texas have the same voting patterns as just about anywhere else.
This is true, perhaps. But my point was not so much as to voting patterns, but larger considerations of historical and cultural similarities, as opposed to just a voting booth.

Quote:
The point your trying to make is kind of a reach and pretty irrelevant when taking statistics into consideration.
Again, if it is only the voting booth, then I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas