U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:54 PM

8,931 posts, read 12,693,106 times

Advertisements

I agree that it seems that southern whites have more in common with all southerners than they do with whites elsewhere, but I don't I can honestly say that I have more in common with all southerners than I do with black folks from other regions of the country.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 AM

19,434 posts, read 29,113,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
"Our blacks are so much better than their blacks" - Ann Coulter

No offense, Tex, but I think she's an idiot.
I forgot she said this.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 AM

10,165 posts, read 17,960,383 times
Quote:
=Nairobi;27270950]I agree that it seems that southern whites have more in common with all southerners than they do with whites elsewhere, but I don't I can honestly say that I have more in common with all southerners than I do with black folks from other regions of the country.
Interesting observation...and far be it from me to say different nor presume to speak with any sort of knowledge on the "black experience", etc.

BUT...I do think it noteworthy (related to the bolded part above), that a large percentage of northern blacks have direct Southern roots, traceable to the so-called "Great Migration". On the other hand, Southern whites don't nearly share such a commonality of history and background.

In fact, in lots of ways, just the opposite. There was a book that came out in the 1980's, titled "Cracker Culture in the Old South", written by the late Dr. Grady McWhiney, history professor at Texas Christian University (TCU). A thesis of his was that the War Between the States was as much the result of historic animosities, tracing back to the "Old Country", as much as anything else. That is to say, those who settled the Southern United States were mostly Scots-Irish and upland English, from an agraian society. On the other hand, then Northeast was of largely Puritan stock and from industrial regions of England. Those "factions" never liked each other from the start! LOL

Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM

471 posts, read 745,502 times
The republican/democrat voting percentages in Tarrant County have remained more or less consistent since at least 1960. Republican vote actually went up in 2012. There is no "trend" that would show democrats are making any kind of gains with the increasing mexican population. Keep in mind half are illegal and not allowed to vote. If there were signs that the county could turn blue I think you would see many thousands of people like me who have not voted (because we know republicans will win anyway) come out in force. John Peter Smith hospital did a study on illegals and the increasing costs of the on taxpayers ($41 million in '07 increasing to 144 million in '17). As of 2007 there were estimated to be 107,000 illegals in Tarrant (increasing by 56% by 2017). The latest census has about 285K hispanics. So basically about half aren't even allowed to vote and that percentage will likely increase. Keep dreaming, democrats.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
The republican/democrat voting percentages in Tarrant County have remained more or less consistent since at least 1960. Republican vote actually went up in 2012. There is no "trend" that would show democrats are making any kind of gains with the increasing mexican population. Keep in mind half are illegal and not allowed to vote. If there were signs that the county could turn blue I think you would see many thousands of people like me who have not voted (because we know republicans will win anyway) come out in force. John Peter Smith hospital did a study on illegals and the increasing costs of the on taxpayers ($41 million in '07 increasing to 144 million in '17). As of 2007 there were estimated to be 107,000 illegals in Tarrant (increasing by 56% by 2017). The latest census has about 285K hispanics. So basically about half aren't even allowed to vote and that percentage will likely increase. Keep dreaming, democrats.
Do you have a link to that study?

The pew research center did on on illegals in North Texas and came up with a much lower number than that.

If demographics don't play a big role in voting patterns what is your explanation for Dallas county which is now so blue, they can't even elect a republican for a county office?

Another thing is to mention is that Tarrant County voted 63% red in 2004 and that number went down to 55% in 2008 and up to 57% in 2012. Given the backlash that occurs in a presidents second term the small bump between 2008 and 2012 is explainable. What stands out more to me is the drop of red voters between 2004 and 2008.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 AM

471 posts, read 745,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Do you have a link to that study?
Dallas-Fort Worth Immigration Lawyer - Hospital Studies Costs Of Treating Illegal Immigrants

Quote:
The pew research center
Enough said.

Quote:
If demographics don't play a big role in voting patterns what is your explanation for Dallas county which is now so blue, they can't even elect a republican for a county office?
I don't concern myself with Dallas county and didn't say demographics don't play a role but you seem to think illegals can vote (maybe they do). But Dallas is 33% white, black population percentage is double (Dallas County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Tarrant is 71% white. Not worth comparing the two.

Quote:
Another thing is to mention is that Tarrant County voted 63% red in 2004 and that number went down to 55% in 2008 and up to 57% in 2012.
It's gone slightly up and down since at least 1960. As I said, it's remained more or less consistent. Democrats can't come up with any facts to show they are making gains to the point the county can turn blue in my lifetime. All I hear is more mexicans are moving here. But that won't help you much if they can't vote heh

Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 1,835,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Ann Coulter is the most vile, extremist woman in the Republican Party. And if we are talking about crap she says (even though crap is usually the only thing coming from her mouth), how about her constant use of the word 'retard'? Right after one of the presidential debates, she tweeted this: "I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard." And then later she doubled down. Terrible woman.
Ann Coulter is a smart enough woman to have figured out how to make a boatload money off idiots. It always cracks me up.

If she was really conservative, she'd be at home raising a family and baking pies instead of partying with Hollywood celebrities and doing coke with Bill Maher.

LOL at the thought this woman is even "conservative" actions speak louder than words

Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,723,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffster View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth Immigration Lawyer - Hospital Studies Costs Of Treating Illegal Immigrants

Enough said.

I don't concern myself with Dallas county and didn't say demographics don't play a role but you seem to think illegals can vote (maybe they do). But Dallas is 33% white, black population percentage is double (Dallas County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Tarrant is 71% white. Not worth comparing the two.

It's gone slightly up and down since at least 1960. As I said, it's remained more or less consistent. Democrats can't come up with any facts to show they are making gains to the point the county can turn blue in my lifetime. All I hear is more mexicans are moving here. But that won't help you much if they can't vote heh
It doesnt say how they arrive at the number of 107k illegals. What is the methodology? Did they simply make it up? Is it a hypothetic number and if so how did they arrive on it? Perhaps they are including the children of illegals which (by definition are American citizens)?

Sorry man, I want something better than that.

As for the Pew Resarch Center, they are non-partisian and non-ideological. They estimate the percentage of illegals in the DFW area at 14%. There is a youtube presentation done on it. I cant access it from work, but Ill post it tonight when Im home. They have a methodology which is clearly lined out.

As for your demographic number, youre dead wrong. Tarrant county is 51.3% white as of 2011. That number is on a downward trend as well.

Tarrant County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

What Im questioning is not that illegals can vote (its obvious they cant). Those who think they try to dont really have a clue. Why risk getting deported to cast a vote? What Im questioning is an assertion that half of Hispanics here are illegal. I question any assertion that the number is even close to that high.

Are illegal immigrants a burden in some areas? You bet. Yet, we secretly want them to come anyway. Who is going to do hard labor for cheap the way they do? Who is going to pick produce for almost no money? Not white Americans, thats for sure.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 12-11-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM
JJG

13,593 posts, read 20,487,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Ann Coulter is a smart enough woman to have figured out how to make a boatload money off idiots. It always cracks me up.

If she was really conservative, she'd be at home raising a family and baking pies instead of partying with Hollywood celebrities and doing coke with Bill Maher.

LOL at the thought this woman is even "conservative" actions speak louder than words
I think The Boondocks echoed what you just posted perfectly...

(WARNING: Language)

The Boondocks - Ann Coulter - YouTube

Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,917,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I think The Boondocks echoed what you just posted perfectly...

(WARNING: Language)

The Boondocks - Ann Coulter - YouTube
Lol I remember seeing that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas