U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 PM
 
10,165 posts, read 17,957,990 times
Reputation: 5786

Advertisements

Quote:
=zombieApocExtraordinaire;27294172] Ann Coulter is a smart enough woman to have figured out how to make a boatload money off idiots. It always cracks me up.
Nice to see you have a good sense of humor. Such a thing can be a great defence against what one would rather not address...

Quote:
If she was really conservative, she'd be at home raising a family and baking pies instead of partying with Hollywood celebrities and doing coke with Bill Maher.
LMAO. So THAT is your criteria for a woman to be a "true conservative"???? Hell, I thought it was you liberals who objected to women being limited to the old "housewife, pregnant and barefoot" role? You people are so hypocritical and narrow minded you don't even recognize it...

Quote:
LOL at the thought this woman is even "conservative" actions speak louder than words
Sure they do (actions louder than words), but for you to have any credibility on the subject, you must first be able to articulate the basic foundations of conservative principles vis a vis, those of liberals, and then show how she fails to live up to them, as opposed to how "liberal" pundit women -- especially those in Hollywood -- live up to theirs..?

BTW -- I am no blind adoring fan of Ann Coulter. Sometimes I even think she is a little too intentionally abrasive, even though I agree with most of her premises.

What I DO admire about her is that she hits the liberals in a way that drives them to a frothing, impotent, fury. Whatever the issue, she pokes holes in their hypocricy, and uses just the right amount of humor to do it (one reason leftist talk radio failed miserably is because their whole message was to spread misery and self-righteousness). Same as Limbaugh does. And the left can't stand it.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:54 AM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,168 posts, read 1,834,728 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO. So THAT is your criteria for a woman to be a "true conservative"???? Hell, I thought it was you liberals who objected to women being limited to the old "housewife, pregnant and barefoot" role? You people are so hypocritical and narrow minded you don't even recognize it...

Well, yes. You asked for conservative criteria, you got them. Y'all should be about traditional gender roles. There is no place for a woman in politics in a true conservative society. But it gets even more laughable when she goes out and parties with the hollywood crowd. It's all a big show for her to get money. It's IRL trolling.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 07:54 AM
 
782 posts, read 994,759 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What I DO admire about her is that she hits the liberals in a way that drives them to a frothing, impotent, fury. Whatever the issue, she pokes holes in their hypocricy, and uses just the right amount of humor to do it (one reason leftist talk radio failed miserably is because their whole message was to spread misery and self-righteousness). Same as Limbaugh does. And the left can't stand it.
You think that they drive us nuts? We crack up at these guys. They make us laugh with their ignorance and misrepresentation of issues. The left isn't sitting around trying to figure out how to silence these people. The right wing in this country is in the middle of imploding itself. 5 of 6 presidential elections the right has lost the popular vote. As the demographics of this country change the right is disapearing.

Hispanics are the fastest growing population segment - and they are growing very fast - and they vote more than 70% for the left. In this latest election in Texas every major city except Fort Worth, and all of the valley areas voted Blue. That is going to continue to spread and grow. In 10-12 years this state will be bordering on being a swing state. Take Texas away from the Republicans and they will never win another presidential election.

The Republicans need to seriously address some of their failing issues or they are going to go the way of the whig party. For us "pinko commies" it's a pretty hillarious ride watching it happen.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
 
10,165 posts, read 17,957,990 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Well, yes. You asked for conservative criteria, you got them. Y'all should be about traditional gender roles. There is no place for a woman in politics in a true conservative society. But it gets even more laughable when she goes out and parties with the hollywood crowd. It's all a big show for her to get money. It's IRL trolling.
LMAO. Hell, I have a couple of liberal friends and I go out partying with them. Or, rather, used too, back before I got too old and sedate to carouse much. So what?

But you still fail to answer the question (understandably, because you don't know it). That is, what are the basic underlying principles of what is generally known in the United States as "conservative". I will give you a little hint...?

NOTHING in them says anything about "traditional gender roles" being of a static nature. What is said is that society must evolve gradually by nature and tacit agreement, and not by mandate. In other words (pay attention here), IF a society prefers "traditional gender roles" then so be it...but nothing in the least says the said roles cannot change over time, shifting attitudes, and circumstances.

Get it? Probably not, so here they are (read them at your leisure):

The Russell Kirk Center: Ten Conservative Principles by Russell Kirk
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 10:44 AM
 
Location: 9851 Meadowglen Lane, Apt 42, Houston Texas
3,168 posts, read 1,834,728 times
Reputation: 368
TexasReb,

I'm not going to have a serious conversation with you what conservative means because to you, conservatism = republican talking points. If you think true conservatives can pick and choose what issues to be conservative about then by all means call yourself a conservative. But in actuality you're just a republican.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 AM
 
10,165 posts, read 17,957,990 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
You think that they drive us nuts? We crack up at these guys.
Sure they do. That is why y'all froth at the mouth and pass speech codes on college campuses, and show out in force to heckle and shout down conservative speakers. It seems instrinsic to leftist thinking that opposition to their agenda must be censored. It has been, and always will be, so.

Quote:
They make us laugh with their ignorance and misrepresentation of issues.
No, they drive you all into a frenzy, because the "issues" cannot really be addressed. On reason is (and I give them credit for this), the left is dependent upon a debating vocabulary full of meaningless, yet effectively emotive terms, such as "racist", "sexist", "homophobic", "xenophobic", etc.

David Horowitz (a former 60's radical turned conservative) wrote a great article on this general topic some years back (although it is largely about Hillary Clinton, its main thesis is insightful):

David Horowitz

Quote:
The left isn't sitting around trying to figure out how to silence these people. The right wing in this country is in the middle of imploding itself. 5 of 6 presidential elections the right has lost the popular vote. As the demographics of this country change the right is disapearing. Hispanics are the fastest growing population segment - and they are growing very fast - and they vote more than 70% for the left. In this latest election in Texas every major city except Fort Worth, and all of the valley areas voted Blue. That is going to continue to spread and grow. In 10-12 years this state will be bordering on being a swing state. Take Texas away from the Republicans and they will never win another presidential election.
First of all, hmmmmm... kinda interesting your side depends upon an ever increasing illegal population to get your way. Whassmatter? Could you not win without the United States becoming a third world country? And ever more promises to an increasing demographic segment totally dependent upon government?

Who ARE the conservatives? Well, most are the people who work hard and want nothing more than to be left alone. They (we) are the ones who pay the taxes, raise the food, produce the energy, and man the guns. Believe me, if "we" ever disappear, then "your" supporters, will freeze and starve in the dark. Obviously -- if history is any guidepoint -- your bunch will not be able support them.

Quote:
The Republicans need to seriously address some of their failing issues or they are going to go the way of the whig party. For us "pinko commies" it's a pretty hillarious ride watching it happen.
Just to preface, it shows something of your abbreviated sense of understanding, that you phrase this in terms of "Republicans" and "Democrats". Actually, political parties have little to do with it. Many of we true conservatives are disgusted with the Republican party. No, the true division is between the (or what is commonly understood to be), the conservatives and liberals (especially the Left).

But *grins* don't think for a moment that your "taunt" is going to bother me. I laugh at it from the opposite angle. Actually, I sorta feel sorry for you. Just like I do the victims (gulags and graveyards are full of them, as Horowtiz said), who were duped into believing...

BTW? Above? You seemingly refer to yourself as a "pinko commie". Naturally you do it in a lampoon-type, sarcastic, way (I know that ploy too), but ok. I call. ARE you a committed socialist and/or communist? Hey, if you are, say so...then we can discuss your sides' ideological track-record of being right or wrong.

Fair enough?

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-16-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
936 posts, read 1,371,241 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
You think that they drive us nuts? We crack up at these guys. They make us laugh with their ignorance and misrepresentation of issues. The left isn't sitting around trying to figure out how to silence these people. The right wing in this country is in the middle of imploding itself. 5 of 6 presidential elections the right has lost the popular vote. As the demographics of this country change the right is disapearing.

Hispanics are the fastest growing population segment - and they are growing very fast - and they vote more than 70% for the left. In this latest election in Texas every major city except Fort Worth, and all of the valley areas voted Blue. That is going to continue to spread and grow. In 10-12 years this state will be bordering on being a swing state. Take Texas away from the Republicans and they will never win another presidential election.

The Republicans need to seriously address some of their failing issues or they are going to go the way of the whig party. For us "pinko commies" it's a pretty hillarious ride watching it happen.
Seriously. I find people like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to be HILARIOUS.
Even though it's scary, I find it hilarious how many people take them seriously when they're clearly entertainers who make their living by inciting the right-wing hate machine. I honestly doubt they believe all of the stuff they spew. I've also never seen anyone suggest censoring them, so... sounds like a claim backed by nothingness.

The GOP is in serious trouble... They won't be able to count on the angry white Tea Party vote for much longer. They need to come back to the middle. Skewing hard-right won't win them any elections outside of the Bible Belt.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM
 
10,165 posts, read 17,957,990 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Seriously. I find people like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck to be HILARIOUS.
Even though it's scary, I find it hilarious how many people take them seriously when they're clearly entertainers who make their living by inciting the right-wing hate machine. I honestly doubt they believe all of the stuff they spew. I've also never seen anyone suggest censoring them, so... sounds like a claim backed by nothingness.

The GOP is in serious trouble... They won't be able to count on the angry white Tea Party vote for much longer. They need to come back to the middle. Skewing hard-right won't win them any elections outside of the Bible Belt.
LOL What I find equally funny is that propensity to use the term "hate", when speaking of conservative commentators? What, exactly, is this "hate machine"?

Gawdamighty, I don't think liberal commentary could maintain even a thread of existence if (as I mentioned earlier) their ability to attract followers was not completely dependent upon such terms as "racist", "sexist", "xenophobic"...and the everyready "hate" bunny....Whew...

It appeals to the downright jealous, dependent, naive, and ignorant, amongst us. And if the same who by into it are "America's future"...then God help America.

Oh sure, the emotion of "hate" is extremely effective in its superficial appeal. There is no real trick to convincing the perpetually dependent to stay dependent much beyond appealing to that the reason they are where they are is because somebody up there "hates" them".

Also? Why did "liberal talk radio" sink like the Titanic? Because, by nature, it is misery and self-righteousness and pathetic guilt...nothing optomistic about it. Certainly no sense of humor is possible under such conditions.

In a nutshell, liberalism (as applied in this country) is an ideology that has no clear direction beyond making some people feel miserable, and others feel a sense of entitlement. Manipulation of raw emotions, and those who can use clever words, will cash in on it.... The liberal politicians always do...

Never seen anyone censoring the conservatives? Surely you are joking. It is evident in speech codes on college campuses, and concerted efforts to prevent conservative speakers from talking. And shout down those who manage to appear.

The one thing the left cannot stomach happening is honest and open discussion. They fear the Ann Coulters and Pat Buchanans, because the former (to name a couple) are not cowed by name-calling.

But anyway, what IS the "right wing hate machine". What does it consist of? Who and/or what is its make-up? What makes up its core principles?

Am I part of it, in your opinion? I freely and proudly proclaim myself to be a paleo-conservative of the old "Jeffersonian Southern States Rights" variety. So, am I a part of this right-wing hate-machine you speak of?

If so? Explain why so...

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-16-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
 
782 posts, read 994,759 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
BTW? Above? You seemingly refer to yourself as a "pinko commie". Naturally you do it in a lampoon-type, sarcastic, way (I know that ploy too), but ok. I call. ARE you a committed socialist and/or communist? Hey, if you are, say so...then we can discuss your sides' ideological track-record of being right or wrong.

Fair enough?
Well I would be happy to engage in discussion, but don't sit there thinking that you are going to "educate" or transform me. I know your views, because they were mine. I have a graduate degree, I am quite well read. I am in my late 30's, and for most of my life was a huge conservative. I loved Limbaugh and read all of his books back when he first hit it big.

Then in the last few years my eyes began being opened, and instead of being spoon fed crap by the conservatives I began to look at all sides, and really open my mind. Yes I left those conservative roots (thankfully).

As to what I believe - I am neither a Democrat nor Republican. There are things I strongly dislike in both parties. I am however an unashamed socialist. No Mr. Beck, that is not the same thing as a communist thank you very much.

Actually it has been several years since I became opened to centrist and leftist ideas economically, but for a long time I was still chained to the Republican party because of abortion and Israel, two issues that are important to me. However they are not important enough to allow my conscience to any longer vote for the right wing of this country. I can no longer close my eyes to reality and the host of other issues that I can no longer stomach from the right.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-16-2012, 05:02 PM
 
10,165 posts, read 17,957,990 times
Reputation: 5786
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Well I would be happy to engage in discussion, but don't sit there thinking that you are going to "educate" or transform me. I know your views, because they were mine. I have a graduate degree, I am quite well read. I am in my late 30's, and for most of my life was a huge conservative. I loved Limbaugh and read all of his books back when he first hit it big.

Then in the last few years my eyes began being opened, and instead of being spoon fed crap by the conservatives I began to look at all sides, and really open my mind. Yes I left those conservative roots (thankfully).

As to what I believe - I am neither a Democrat nor Republican. There are things I strongly dislike in both parties. I am however an unashamed socialist. No Mr. Beck, that is not the same thing as a communist thank you very much.

Actually it has been several years since I became opened to centrist and leftist ideas economically, but for a long time I was still chained to the Republican party because of abortion and Israel, two issues that are important to me. However they are not important enough to allow my conscience to any longer vote for the right wing of this country. I can no longer close my eyes to reality and the host of other issues that I can no longer stomach from the right.

Uhhhh, Todd? That is a mighty good tawkin'! Problem is though? A committed socialist, as you admit you are is committed to an Idea...the nature of which even objective reality becomes of secondary consideration.

James Burnham, in his classic work, "Suicide of the West" once described it, and how it is folly for American conservatives to attempt to talk to the socialists/communists, because there is no common language. As it connects to what you say? Well, I might be wrong, but your whole story rings false. For instance, you speak of what made you turn against "conservatism" and spend quite a bit of time berating them. BUT...say almost nothing of the new left heroes you began to embrace. Who were they and what was the reading?

For instance, I know it for sure, and you do to. That is, (read Horowitz again), the main thing for you is the advancement of socialism (and the eventual goal of utopian communism), thus, everything else becomes subordinate, correct? You will lie if you have to...but will not consider it lying, as everything is subordinate to the Idea...

Thus, you may present yourself online as a gun-owner or former-conservative, Republican, or whatever...but only to further your own agenda. And feel no guilt for doing so! Your own profile says nothing about you...which is kinda telling...

So, Todd? Just step up to the plate, and let's just be honest with each other, and fight it out here like men of honorable intent.

Here is the gauntlet flung down:

Socialism is a schematic for intentional slavery, and wealth for some to control others, and the latter are liars and schemers ahead of time...
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top