U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 PM

16,791 posts, read 43,968,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The black population in Dallas county went almost totally for Obama yet the county was barely blue. What that means is that the Hispanics broke for Romney and Cruz. The same thing occurred in Harris (City of Houston).

Anyone who thinks TX will turn blue does not know any Hispanics or how assimilation works. Nor have they looked at the election results in the districts where there are significant mixed white/hispanic populations. Nor have they looked at education trends. Kids' views come from their peers. These kids peers will be the white populations.

I speak Spanish pretty well. My babysitter is Hispanic and one tenant is Hispanic. My son's best friend is Hispanic. On one of my farms a caretaker is Tejano. They like Cruz a lot. And they like the Bush family a lot. They fear government.

My wife ran a mid-size firm that had a majority Hispanic workforce. The senior managers were quite liberal, but the rank and file were conservative and the latter had a lot of kids and lived in mixed neighborhoods.

One of my wife's relatives is a major figure in a number of counties in West Texas. He is a major liberal yet he is also a racist, like many rural democrats. Those counties are majority Hispanic yet they broke for Cruz and he told me that once he passes away, along with many of the other older FDR voters, the Hispanic leadership will step up and join the younger GOP leadership and the county will stay solid GOP.

Sounds a lot like the stories the GOP kept telling themselves leading up to Obama trouncing Romney in the presidential election. If Hispanics in Texas are so conservative how to you explain all that Dark Blue in the South Texas counties that are overwhelmingly Hispanic majority? See the County map. President Map - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Demographics //www.city-data.com/forum/27406978-post8.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-21-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM

782 posts, read 995,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Sounds a lot like the stories the GOP kept telling themselves leading up to Obama trouncing Romney in the presidential election. If Hispanics in Texas are so conservative how to you explain all that Dark Blue in the South Texas counties that are overwhelmingly Hispanic majority? See the County map. President Map - Election 2012 - NYTimes.com

Demographics //www.city-data.com/forum/27406978-post8.html
Exactly. The fact is that hispanics vote 70% democratic. The Republican party is going to die out unless they make a significant change to some of their policies.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM

13,402 posts, read 22,729,994 times
Best quote I've ever heard:

Hispanics were disillusioned with Barack Obama, but they were absolutely terrified of Mitt Romney".

After looking at some of the things said in the primary, who could blame them?

Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM

570 posts, read 1,082,387 times
Texas Hispanics voted 49% for Bush in 2004, so it is not like they are in bed with the democratic party. Good luck trying to predict politics one year in advance, none the less 4, 8, 12 years.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 PM

12,510 posts, read 24,442,516 times
Being polite, this thread is laughable to say the least.

Texas does NOT follow Tarrant County & its still as red as ever & will remain this way for the conceivable future.

Dallas County is the only "blue" county in North Texas. The overwhelmingly poor minority populations are the reason why they tend to vote Democratic these days.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-22-2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 02:11 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,768,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I disagree. Look at the demographics of growth in Tarrant county. Its primarily Hispanic and African American. Statistically speaking, they vote blue more than red by a good margin. In the DFW metroplex, non-Hispanic whites are the slowest growing group. DFW is gaining more Hispanics, African-American, and Asians than whites. Despite notions otherwise, that is going to turn DFW blue over time. Dallas county is already a blue stronghold.

Is the change going to happen overnight? No. Give it another 10 years, you'll see it.
Right, so the changes primarily have to do with demographics. I wouldn't spend my time trying to change the opinions of white Tarrant county voters. They are just as tribal in their ideology as any other voter bloc. Instead, work to increase the voter participation rates of blacks and hispanics who lag in this area.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
RGV being the poorest area of the state might have something to do about. The middle class Hispanics in San Antonio voted for the republicans but they are outnumbered by the poor Hispanics of Bexar county.
Do you have some source for this? That some income level of Hispanics in Texas vote GOP? That's hard for me to believe?

Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Exactly. The fact is that hispanics vote 70% democratic. The Republican party is going to die out unless they make a significant change to some of their policies.
You're talking about something that will not occur in the next Decade at the very least. Nativism goes to the heart of the GOP appeal to white voters. If that changes, the GOP will not be the same party. And anybody thinking the GOP can team up with socially conservative hispanics/blacks to form some winning coalition based on punching hippies and gays is just dreaming.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,370,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Texas Hispanics voted 49% for Bush in 2004, so it is not like they are in bed with the democratic party. Good luck trying to predict politics one year in advance, none the less 4, 8, 12 years.
This article makes some good points:

44 Percent of Hispanics Voted for Bush? | Alternet

It's been long said that Bush gets 40% of the Texas mex-american vote. But there could be some doubt.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM
JJG

13,593 posts, read 20,494,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Being polite, this thread is laughable to say the least.

Texas does NOT follow Tarrant County & its still as red as ever & will remain this way for the conceivable future.

Dallas County is the only "blue" county in North Texas. The overwhelmingly poor minority populations are the reason why they tend to vote Democratic these days.
You just keep thinking that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas