U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:03 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,766,294 times

Advertisements

Well how interesting that we had a discussion a couple of weeks ago about politics in the state of Texas. Well the democratic party appears to be concentrating its efforts on turning Tarrant County blue. Here is a excerpt out of the Star-Telegram.

Tarrant County can expect to get a lot of attention over the next two years as Democrats continue their uphill climb to try to turn Texas - one of the most Republican red states in the nation - blue.For the second presidential election in a row, Tarrant statistically was the bellwether county in the state - meaning that the election results in the county more closely mirrored statewide election results than the other 253 counties in the state.
That makes Tarrant the clearest microcosm of the state.
And while Democrats are gaining strength in the state's other urban areas, Tarrant has remained staunchly Republican. So the thinking of some political strategists is that if the Democrats are going to regain power in Texas, they've got to turn Tarrant County.
[LEFT]
Read more here: In politics, where Tarrant County goes, Texas follows | Elections & Politics | News from...
[/LEFT]

In politics, where Tarrant County goes, Texas follows | Elections & Politics | News from...
Rate this post positively

Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,908,787 times
Interesting. And if current projections are correct, it won't be long before Texas turns color.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,210,185 times
Sounds like the paper of record in Fort Worth is trying to develop some relevance for the city. Maybe they should focus on TCU.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,766,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Sounds like the paper of record in Fort Worth is trying to develop some relevance for the city. Maybe they should focus on TCU.
Well the article isnt entirely about Fort Worth but it is about Tarrant County the 3rd most populated county in the state. I think thats enough to prove its relevance. Political observers are looking at the county as being symbolic for Texas politics. In other words if the republicans lose the county it would be a huge blow to the party signifying Texas transition from a Republican dominated state to a swing state. If the dems can run up similar numbers in tarrant and harris county like they have in Dallas county this state will be swinging.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:02 AM

10,537 posts, read 22,423,690 times
I seriously doubt this will happen. Parts of FW will be blue, but the wealthier suburbs will likely never go blue. They are VERY conservative, and that's why people live here!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,654,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I seriously doubt this will happen. Parts of FW will be blue, but the wealthier suburbs will likely never go blue. They are VERY conservative, and that's why people live here!
I disagree. Look at the demographics of growth in Tarrant county. Its primarily Hispanic and African American. Statistically speaking, they vote blue more than red by a good margin. In the DFW metroplex, non-Hispanic whites are the slowest growing group. DFW is gaining more Hispanics, African-American, and Asians than whites. Despite notions otherwise, that is going to turn DFW blue over time. Dallas county is already a blue stronghold.

Is the change going to happen overnight? No. Give it another 10 years, you'll see it.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,224,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
DFW is gaining more Hispanics, African-American, and Asians than whites. Despite notions otherwise, that is going to turn DFW blue over time. Dallas county is already a blue stronghold..
The black population in Dallas county went almost totally for Obama yet the county was barely blue. What that means is that the Hispanics broke for Romney and Cruz. The same thing occurred in Harris (City of Houston).

Anyone who thinks TX will turn blue does not know any Hispanics or how assimilation works. Nor have they looked at the election results in the districts where there are significant mixed white/hispanic populations. Nor have they looked at education trends. Kids' views come from their peers. These kids peers will be the white populations.

I speak Spanish pretty well. My babysitter is Hispanic and one tenant is Hispanic. My son's best friend is Hispanic. On one of my farms a caretaker is Tejano. They like Cruz a lot. And they like the Bush family a lot. They fear government.

My wife ran a mid-size firm that had a majority Hispanic workforce. The senior managers were quite liberal, but the rank and file were conservative and the latter had a lot of kids and lived in mixed neighborhoods.

One of my wife's relatives is a major figure in a number of counties in West Texas. He is a major liberal yet he is also a racist, like many rural democrats. Those counties are majority Hispanic yet they broke for Cruz and he told me that once he passes away, along with many of the other older FDR voters, the Hispanic leadership will step up and join the younger GOP leadership and the county will stay solid GOP.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,414,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Anyone who thinks TX will turn blue does not know any Hispanics or how assimilation works. Nor have they looked at the election results in the districts where there are significant mixed white/hispanic populations. Nor have they looked at education trends. Kids' views come from their peers. These kids peers will be the white populations.
And you do? Tell us how 'it' works, Professor?

According to you logic, hispanics are just waiting for the racist whites to die, then they will magically become Republicans! And black people are for Democrats because of..Obama, Clinton? I always thought it was JFK/ Lyndon Johnson era when the Democratic Party supported desegregation and the Republican Party resisted, leading to the "Southern Strategy" era (1968-1974) when 75-80% of southern whites (from Texas through Virginia) left the Democrats and became Republicans as a political response to the end of Jim Crow.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,272,131 times
Quote:
The black population in Dallas county went almost totally for Obama yet the county was barely blue. What that means is that the Hispanics broke for Romney and Cruz. The same thing occurred in Harris (City of Houston).
Dallas County wasn't "barely blue." It went 57% for Obama vs. 42% for Romney. Over 100,000 votes separated the two, with around 700,000 votes cast.

As for your purely anecdotal evidence about Latinos becoming Republicans: I can list just as many anecdotal bits about Latinos staying staunchly Democratic. In the end, the Latino mindset, due to Catholic upbringing, strongly supports the idea of a social safety net and social justice. That is something that the Republicans simply aren't offering.

I am Latino (well, half), and from my experiences talking with fellow Texas Latinos and Latino family members, the Republicans have burned too many bridges to be relevant for at least a generation. And even then, until the Republicans move a bit toward the middle on social justice/safety net issues, or until Latinos as a whole get a whole lot less Catholic, there will never be a huge turn to the Republican party among Latinos. Or that's my take, as I'm actually Latino.

Of course, only time will tell. Personally, I'm all for the purplefication of Texas (and the US on the whole.) When either party has complete control, it's bad for everyone. I welcome the coming Purple Texas!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:21 AM

13,402 posts, read 22,654,575 times
Quote:

I speak Spanish pretty well. My babysitter is Hispanic and one tenant is Hispanic. My son's best friend is Hispanic. On one of my farms a caretaker is Tejano. They like Cruz a lot. And they like the Bush family a lot. They fear government.

My wife ran a mid-size firm that had a majority Hispanic workforce. The senior managers were quite liberal, but the rank and file were conservative and the latter had a lot of kids and lived in mixed neighborhoods.

One of my wife's relatives is a major figure in a number of counties in West Texas. He is a major liberal yet he is also a racist, like many rural democrats. Those counties are majority Hispanic yet they broke for Cruz and he told me that once he passes away, along with many of the other older FDR voters, the Hispanic leadership will step up and join the younger GOP leadership and the county will stay solid GOP.
To be frank, your logic leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing in your post would be able to be backed up by factual data (statistics).

1) Dallas county did not "barely" vote Obama. It was 57-42%. Also of note is that Democrats completely swept the local Dallas county offices. Of the 8 county seats that were open, Republicans won a grand total of zero seats. Dallas county is left with one Republican commissioner. The city of Dallas went 66% Obama.

Dallas county is not "barely" blue. It is totally and completely blue.

2) Your dreams about Hispanics, all of the sudden, voting Republican as a block are unfounded and statistically incorrect. Outside of Cuban, Hispanics are solidly Democrat. 70% of Hispanics nation wide voted Obama. Bringing it back to Texas, why do you think the Rio Grande Valley is solidly Blue? Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are in similar situations.

Another thing you have to consider is voter turnout. Whites come out stronger than Latino's right now. However, if you look at formerly red states turned blue (ie. California), the Hispanic growth was overwhelmingly a part of that. Over time, its going to change.

Republicans have burned a lot of bridges and need to do some work to get in better with the Latino Community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas