Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 AM

673 posts, read 3,090,260 times

Advertisements

I have decided to take a drive down for 3-4 days to a nice beach area around Christmas. My initial though was to check out South Padre Island or North Padre Island/Corpus Christi. I have actually, already been to North Padre Island/Corpus Christi, so I know what to expect more or less there.

However, I have heard South Padre Island is better and best spot in Texas. Corpus Christi would be about a 7 hours drive and South Padre a whole 10 hrs drive. Is it worth taking an additional 3 hours to drive down there from DFW?

How is the hotel prices in those to area compared to each other?

Finally, would there be more things to do in Corpus Christi area than South Padre Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,577 times
I would recommend Corpus over SPI. SPI gets very crowded on holidays, particularly Xmas/easter weeks when families travel from Mexico to spend their vacations in the US.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 AM

398 posts, read 1,416,531 times
South Padre crowded around Christmas...? I don't know about that...

What kind of activities are you interested in?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:38 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Between North Padre Island and South Padre Island is the King Ranch. It's one of the largest cattle ranches in the world, and it takes up almost all of Kenedy County. So, sadly, there isn't much at all between the two beaches.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,409,871 times
SPI has less to do and see. It just exists for the beach and tourism solely. SPI is pretty yes, but not much more so than NPI. There is less to do, and if you did want to visit a city, Brownsville is not very nice and it's over an hour to get to McAllen. Its definitely not worth the extra three hours of driving.

Plus with NPI, you have all of the beach towns near by such as Port Aransas and Rockport. You also have the city of Corpus Christi at your disposal with downtown, events at the American Bank Center, museums, shopping, arts, great dining, tourist activities, and clubbing, if that is your thing.

On top of all of that, everybody speaks English in Corpus Christi, (unless you are in the ghetto's on the west side). You cant say that about SPI and the surrounding areas.

But, if you would like visiting somewhere you haven't been, (SPI), that is understandable.

As far as hotel prices, they have everything form Days Inn to the Hilton and Omni in CC. So you can surely find something in your price range. However, most hotels are more expensive and inflated on SPI. I am sure you could find something cheaper further from the island and closer to Brownsville.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post

On top of all of that, everybody speaks English in Corpus Christi, (unless you are in the ghetto's on the west side). You cant say that about SPI and the surrounding areas. .
Thanks, gabetx for expressing what I was implying, but uncomfortable saying (don't think texan55 "got it"). You described the two areas perfectly. About the only thing worth seeing in Brownsville is the zoo, but, hey, it's a zoo. They have those in other places.

Basically, half of Mexico is in SPI during the holidays. That's fine if you speak Spanish, appear upper class Mexican, & don't mind rubbing elbows with all the Mexican Nationals, who own most of the condos. Please don't take this as a prejudiced comment, but unless the OP is a Mexican National, it probably won't make for an enjoyable experience.

LOL--the Anglos that are there are predominantly the "Winter Texans", who tend to be just as rude as the Mexican Nationals. So there. JMHO, but I've been there and done that. We avoid the island like the plague during the holidays.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
South Padre crowded around Christmas...? I don't know about that...

What kind of activities are you interested in?
Just normal stuff like seeing beach, museums, and restaurants. Which of areas have better restaurants (FYI I prefer Asian food)?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Thanks, gabetx for expressing what I was implying, but uncomfortable saying (don't think texan55 "got it"). You described the two areas perfectly. About the only thing worth seeing in Brownsville is the zoo, but, hey, it's a zoo. They have those in other places.

Basically, half of Mexico is in SPI during the holidays. That's fine if you speak Spanish, appear upper class Mexican, & don't mind rubbing elbows with all the Mexican Nationals, who own most of the condos. Please don't take this as a prejudiced comment, but unless the OP is a Mexican National, it probably won't make for an enjoyable experience.

LOL--the Anglos that are there are predominantly the "Winter Texans", who tend to be just as rude as the Mexican Nationals. So there. JMHO, but I've been there and done that. We avoid the island like the plague during the holidays.
Never realized the Mexican nationals go SPI just for the holidays. I though they had better beaches in Mexico like Cancun or Acapulco?

Honestly, I expected the beaches to fairly empty since its winter and holiday season.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM

It's basically from xmas to New Year's--most of the condos are owned by Mexicans. I would imagine that they avoid tourist places like Cancun & Acapulco so they can avoid Americans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas