Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,694 times

Advertisements

I don't watch Jon Stewart, I don't find him entertaining in the least.

I do understand sarcasm and clearly recognized a feeble attempt at sarcasm, however I thought that one worthless post deserved an reply in kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
I don't watch Jon Stewart, I don't find him entertaining in the least.

I do understand sarcasm and clearly recognized a feeble attempt at sarcasm, however I thought that one worthless post deserved an reply in kind.
Well its clear your version of sarcasm is far from mainstream.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 PM

220 posts, read 454,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
And to the comment about the cost of security guards, don't you think it would cost even more to pay for training for ALL teachers in the school rather than just one or two security guards who can guard the entrances of the building and be on-call?
The people who care about personal safety (teachers or otherwise) will be willing to pay for their own training on their own dime.

Quote:
There's really no price on safety, anyway.
Yes there is, the real question is if it is worth it. The government wastes billions on the security theater called the TSA.

Quote:
My biggest issue with teachers carrying guns is the risk of disgruntled students having these weapons in the palm of their hands if they want to overtake their teacher.
If the they are doing what they should be doing then the gun will be concealed and no one needs even know about it. Also if a teacher is being attacked by a student they then should most definitely be able to use that firearm to defend themselves.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Default School District in TX to Give Teachers Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns | Fox News

I don't know about this one. I think the best option is to just post security guards inside schools.
Sounds like a reasonable idea to me. The first step to control guns would be to enforce personal responsibility. But not sure I read anywhere that anybody was being given anything other than protection.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
The article is 4 yrs old and they just were revisited the other day and things are going fine and other districts have adopted the policy also.
Texas school where teachers carry guns prepared to protect students | Crime and Safety |...
is the new article

Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Statistically speaking, you are much more likely to cause unintentional harm to yourself to someone around you than to successfully protect yourself with a gun.

I would not send my child to a district that had this policy.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Statistically speaking, you are much more likely to cause unintentional harm to yourself to someone around you than to successfully protect yourself with a gun.

I would not send my child to a district that had this policy.

Show me those statistics. You can start with how many unintentional incidents of harm were inflicted on a person by themselves, or someone around them. Then show me the statistics on how many times a gun was used to successfully protect someone.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,360 times
Sign The Arm The Teachers Petition! 7,269 signed so far.

The state of Utah has always allowed teachers to carry guns in class & has never had an incident. Why can't we all have that?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Well its clear your version of sarcasm is far from mainstream.

I will readily admit to my failings trying to live up to the "mainstream", or at least your definition of mainstream. I will also gladly admit your obvious superiority in all things discussed here.

But I still think you are wrong. If you want to leave your children unprotected in a public place, by all means do so. As for me and mine, we will cling to the belief that protection is the first responsibility of caring parents, and the gossamer dreams of utopian disarmament ultimately put our most vulnerable members of society at increased risk.

btw, I really have no desire to belong to a mainstream that finds Jon Stewart to be anything other than a poor excuse for entertainment.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
I really have no desire to belong to a mainstream that finds Jon Stewart to be anything other than a poor excuse for entertainment.
Education, and personal responsibility begin at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: