Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,755 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I received a job offer at a local hospital in Waco and need to take it. I have to move from across the country and have never been to the area. I've been reading some of the older posts regarding Waco and I'm really concerned now! It sounds like a rough/dangerous place to be. Is the a misperception? Also, I'm looking to rent an apartment but have no idea where the safe/unsafe neighborhoods are. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm willing to live a little outside of the Waco area if it's a safe area. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Relax, Waco is a perfectly ordinary city with some run down areas but a lot of nice areas as well.

Both hospitals are in good parts of town. Providence Hospital is in Woodway and all the neighborhoods that border Providence are perfectly nice. There are plenty of options for living within 5 minutes of Providence Hospital that are safe and nice. You could find plenty of nice houses and some apartments around Providence from which you could walk to work.

Hillcrest Hospital relocated to a suburban freeway interchange area a few years ago so it is all new. There isn't a lot right next door to Hillcrest close enough that you could walk to work. But there are some nice apartment complexes that are very close. Just on the other side of the freeway so it isn't walkable but would be no more than 3-4 minutes by car. If you are looking to rent a nice apartment and work at either hospital then these are two quite new apartment complexes that I would start with in your apartment search. They are about 3 minutes from Hillcrest and about 5 minutes from Providence and walking distance to lots of shopping and restaurants.

The Retreat at Central Texas Marketplace - Apartments in Waco
The Residence at Central Texas Marketplace

Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,783,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia35 View Post
Hello everyone,

I received a job offer at a local hospital in Waco and need to take it. I have to move from across the country and have never been to the area. I've been reading some of the older posts regarding Waco and I'm really concerned now! It sounds like a rough/dangerous place to be. Is the a misperception? Also, I'm looking to rent an apartment but have no idea where the safe/unsafe neighborhoods are. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm willing to live a little outside of the Waco area if it's a safe area. Thanks so much!
If you have any questions please ask! There is too much to talk about without direct questions/concerns, but I really would like to answer any of your questions!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 AM

349 posts, read 260,351 times
Like any other mid-sized town/city, there are pros and cons. The Koresh incident happened just outside Waco, but the city got the blame. Unlike when George Bush lived just outside the city, and Waco was never mentioned.

Both hospitals are in good areas, as texasdiver mentioned. The closest suburbs would be Robinson, Hewitt, and Lorena. All with easy highway access to the hospitals.

The Retreat at CTMP apartments behind the Central Texas Market Place mall would be an ideal location. Also nearby are the Central Texas Marketplace apartments.

I gripe a lot about Waco not living up to its' forefather's dreams, but I was raised here, I raised a family here, and my children are raising their families here. All is good.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
The original post was from December, but the title of the thread has me giggling! OP, Waco is just fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,562 times
Smile Waco

I am a native of Waco so I can tell you for sure the safe neighborhoods. They are a section called Woodway which is pretty convenient to Providence Hospital or Hillcrest Hospital. Also, a little further out is Hewitt which is really nice. China Spring is also a great area but is about a good 25-30 minutes from Providence and medical offices. My Dad lives in China Spring and I have taken him to the doctor many times. Not too convenient to be that far out especially since he is 93 and I am 65.

Hope that helps. Stay away from Herring Avenue, anything close to downtown and a lot of the area around Baylor University, I am sorry to have to say. The city has built up around downtown and there are many nice new restaurants and coffee shops in that area, but you don't want to live there.

Good luck!
Barbara J.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times
I have a friend with a disabled adult son who wants to move from WA state and go to college there in Waco. They are trying to get an apartment set up to move into, but isn't quite meeting the requirements, she has no job or time on the job there yet, obviously because she doesn't live there. She's a certified CNA, and sure she could get a job there quickly and easily. Any suggestions on what she could do to get into a safe place and transition smoothly?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin-Out View Post
I have a friend with a disabled adult son who wants to move from WA state and go to college there in Waco. They are trying to get an apartment set up to move into, but isn't quite meeting the requirements, she has no job or time on the job there yet, obviously because she doesn't live there. She's a certified CNA, and sure she could get a job there quickly and easily. Any suggestions on what she could do to get into a safe place and transition smoothly?
Her first step should be to evaluate what services her adult son requires and if the same services are available in Texas, Texas is a low tax, low service state and that holds for people with disabilities too. Just because he qualifies for state services in WA that doesn't mean he can get them here. Programs may be not available or have decades-long waiting lists -- I wish I was kidding but I am not.

I've known several people who moved to TX with disabled family members who thought service X or Y that they depended on their home state would be available here and they were sadly mistaken. Any college program that is available in Waco should also be available in WA.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
The guide to Waco Texas
https://wacoheartoftexas.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: