Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,021 times

Advertisements

We want to get the hell out of California and are looking to relocate to Texas. My husband and I are both teachers and want to live somewhere with a great high school (our oldest is in 9th grade), aesthetically pleasing (we love the Guadalupe River), and a decent home with an acre of land (we want fresh eggs) We currently live in the most northern part of California and appreciate the conservative principles in our area. We are looking to live and teach in a city similar to ours, but with less crime, lower unemployment, more culture and a whole hell of a lot farther away from Diane Feinstein and Nancy Peolsi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbound74 View Post
We want to get the hell out of California...
You should have no problems finding a great place in Kerrville, even though it is a relatively expensive area. But nowhere near as expensive as similar CA locales. It is considered one of the most desirable retirement enclaves in Texas, so that may be something to consider - or not.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
My folks live in Kerrville and like it just fine. They also teach over at the small liberal arts college over there (Schreiner University).. There are plenty of things to do and the high school is fairly good from what they say. They also like how close it is to San Antonio and go into town or use the airport to fly out of. The Kerrville Airport is for small planes. Plenty of places to eat in town and all the daily life things are there and they have a movie place now. Lots of arts in the area also. Need more info send me a dm.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
If you plan to seek employment there, you might want to consider this older thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...t-no-good.html

Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM

578 posts, read 1,227,481 times
Using Kerrville as a base, there are many school districts within 20 miles if you can't find a teaching job for KISD. Boerne has some of the best schools in the area, look at that area also. The school district also includes the rural areas north and northeast of town if you need a little more breathing room.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,021 times
Thank you all for your input. I will look into Boerne as well. We have some family near San Antonio, but we would be leaving my parents and siblings here in California. We figure we will start the exodus and they will follow. Hopefully.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:22 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
If I had to choose between Boerne and Kerrville, I'd choose Boerne.

Good luck Texasbound!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Finding teaching jobs anywhere within an hours radius of Austin will be brutal. Lots of unemployed teachers in the area. If you are willing to work out in some remote rural school district for the state minimum teaching wage (about $30 grand/year) you might find something but don't expect it to be in our near any communities that would be on any list of best places to live in TX. Education $$ are being slashed by our legislature and districts throughout the state are being faced with huge cutbacks.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:50 AM

345 posts, read 1,030,631 times
Texas A&M QB and Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel's hometown. Means nothing to your search but a fun fact as thousands or millions of football fans (not even in TX like myself) have surely heard of Kerrville solely because of this.

Congrats on moving to Texas, it's a great state . I plan on getting the hell out of CA at some point too. At least Man Jose where I'm at.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
You will definitely find a lower cost of living and conservative political atmosphere in the areas around Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Comfort etc. Not sure about the job situation though. You may have better luck in fast-growing areas nearby with lots of families such as northwest San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas