Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
High_Plains:

Homeowner's insurance in NM is quite a bit less in my experience.

That's what I keep hearing. The significant difference in the values of my New Mexico property and my Texas properties make it difficult for me to compare.

My wife and I still haven't decided which foot we will eventually lift, i.e., the one we have in Texas or the one in New Mexico. We are now in the process of selling our Texas residential property as the property taxes are simply getting too prohibitive to keep it. Then we will have things pared down to our Albuquerque house and our west Texas farm. We know we're not saying in Albuquerque but beyond that, we simply don't know.

Of course my original Texas home was deep in the Texas Pineywoods. I can tell you there have been a few days in my life when I found myself missing the lush green pine forests of eastern Texas but never one where I missed the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
That's what I keep hearing. The significant difference in the values of my New Mexico property and my Texas properties make it difficult for me to compare.

My wife and I still haven't decided which foot we will eventually lift, i.e., the one we have in Texas or the one in New Mexico. We are now in the process of selling our Texas residential property as the property taxes are simply getting too prohibitive to keep it. Then we will have things pared down to our Albuquerque house and our west Texas farm. We know we're not saying in Albuquerque but beyond that, we simply don't know.

Of course my original Texas home was deep in the Texas Pineywoods. I can tell you there have been a few days in my life when I found myself missing the lush green pine forests of eastern Texas but never one where I missed the humidity.
Well, I can imagine. The property in Midland was sold for $90K cash.

The Alamogordo property was 165K, new construction--yet the homeowner's insurance with the exact same company and like coverage was half of what it had been in Midland. I was shocked. The property taxes in Alamo were a little less than they had been in Midland. Since I had lived in that house for 25 years, I imagine that the buyer had quite a shock when the first property taxes came due for Midland.

If I do decide to go ahead and build in Alpine (I have a lot there), it's going to be $$$$......I am SO homesick I can't see straight...and I wish I weren't. I was not ever planning on going back to Texas when I left in 2007. Alpine is close to where I grew up and where I spent most of my life.

Funny how attitudes and things change over the course of 6 years.

Decisions, decisions!!

I love verdant green from the inside of an air-conditioned car, LOL!! I can't handle ET except in the dead of winter!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Funny how attitudes and things change over the course of 6 years.

Decisions, decisions!!
I only spent my first 18 years of life in eastern Texas but roughly 12 years on the South Plains before going off to work in some of the fly-to places of America. However, so much happened in those 12 years that some very incredible and wonderful memories were burned into my brain, e.g., interesting military service, marriage into a great west Texas family and marriage to a wonderful lady, the birth of my daughter and years of college and all that that entailed. I suppose I will now always call the South Plains home, that is, until I am called to my real home. I suppose whether I spend the few remaining years of my life in Texas or in New Mexico is still to be decided. My heart, like my income, taxes and property, lies in both states.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I only spent my first 18 years of life in eastern Texas but roughly 12 years on the South Plains before going off to work in some of the fly-to places of America. However, so much happened in those 12 years that some very incredible and wonderful memories were burned into my brain, e.g., interesting military service, marriage into a great west Texas family and marriage to a wonderful lady, the birth of my daughter and years of college and all that that entailed. I suppose I will now always call the South Plains home, that is, until I am called to my real home. I suppose whether I spend the few remaining years of my life in Texas or in New Mexico is still to be decided. My heart, like my income, taxes and property, lies in both states.
Add to my mix SW Colorado--I love all three states, but Texas comes first, as the pull gets stronger every day, though I'm at war with it. But it will be the Big Bend area or nothing. I plan to keep my CO property unless I can find something in Ruidoso for the summers.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Thank you all for the great replies. It will take us time to narrow where we want to be and what jobs are available at that time. I am taking certifications for the software we use for dispatching-so I will be fully up to speed on that if I can find a school district that uses Transfinder. I would really like to stay in the school transportation industry and hoping by then I will also have a SBDI and 19A certification as a instructor too. The Hubby is thinking he'll go back into dispatching himself-there's a wide variety of fields he'd be able to do that in-not just ready mix concrete. He's been working at a durable medical goods facility that he has certifications for liquid oxygen and for the transfill stations-not sure how that would carry over in TX as it is something the NYS Education department here regulates.

I know it's going to be a adjustment-we've never relocated before from the area we grew up in. Hubby did his Army stint and was in Germany for 2 years-but I've never lived out of the county I grew up in. It's scary and wonderful that we can all at the same time. I look forward to exploring TX for the next 3 years and learning about the state I will be calling home.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 AM

96 posts, read 209,650 times
Check out the Corpus Christi area and places like Victoria (near Corpus). A lot of jobs in that area, great outdoor activities and safe.

I've lived all over Texas the past 45 years and that area is my favorite. I'll be leaving the DFW area soon and that's where I'll be headed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas