Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,012,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Hey, so long as YOU are taken care of.
OD
Most people need regular access to academic articles? (e.g. JSTOR?) News to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,970,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Last year the state took away almost $5,000,000 from texshare funding and took all other funding for our libraries to zero. They no longer fund our k-12 databases
I used databases when I was in college and grad school, so I get that they have value. I've looked at the school web site and was impressed by the databases the school libraries have access to, both in the library and from home, using a login.

Together, my kids have been in Texas schools for 17 school years. In all of that time, through dozens of research papers and projects and through GT and AP classes, neither of them has ever used the K-12 databases, not even once! In my experience kids do all of their research these days using Google, so databases are no longer useful in K-12. It's time to let go of this relic from the past. Put the millions to use in some other way.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,012,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I agree. Perry, like most right-wing nut jobs is only concerned about helping those who already have the means to help themselves; which would include his rich political buddies. I strongly believe that he won't get reelected in 2014. He is apart of the "extreme element" that is dragging the GOP down into the abyss.
The governor of Texas doesn't have much power.
You describe ALL politicians in your description, including Obama who is probably your idol.
And our "right wing nut job" state is doing pretty well right now, so maybe you need to hold your words and stop looking like a fool.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,330,546 times
Did I miss the date or graph on library utilization trends? Both bricks and mortar as well as online access? Technology changes things and gov can be slow to adapt. I'm not sure that much thought was put into reducing this funding but it might be a piece of the tough decisions made to not just raise taxes and keep spending on the same things over time... but I doubt it... perhaps the improved outlook in Texas tax revenues will restore what is needed to this area.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,776,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I used databases when I was in college and grad school, so I get that they have value. I've looked at the school web site and was impressed by the databases the school libraries have access to, both in the library and from home, using a login.

Together, my kids have been in Texas schools for 17 school years. In all of that time, through dozens of research papers and projects and through GT and AP classes, neither of them has ever used the K-12 databases, not even once! In my experience kids do all of their research these days using Google, so databases are no longer useful in K-12. It's time to let go of this relic from the past. Put the millions to use in some other way.
Google gives too much misinformation. We have to teach the kids to use actual articles with actual data.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,776,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You describe ALL politicians in your description, including Obama who is probably your idol.
And our "right wing nut job" state is doing pretty well right now, so maybe you need to hold your words and stop looking like a fool.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/us...pagewanted=all

Quote:
Mr. Ryan’s specialty is helping clients like ExxonMobil and Neiman Marcus secure state and local tax breaks and other business incentives. It is a good line of work in Texas.

Under Mr. Perry, Texas gives out more of the incentives than any other state, around $19 billion a year, an examination by The New York Times has found. Texas justifies its largess by pointing out that it is home to half of all the private sector jobs created over the last decade nationwide. As the invitation to the fund-raiser boasted: “Texas leads the nation in job creation.”

Yet the raw numbers mask a more complicated reality behind the flood of incentives, the examination shows, and raise questions about who benefits more, the businesses or the people of Texas.

Along with the huge job growth, the state has the third-highest proportion of hourly jobs paying at or below minimum wage. And despite its low level of unemployment, Texas has the 11th-highest poverty rate among states.
Quote:
Since Mr. Perry took office, companies have seen a drop in their school property taxes because of a special incentives program, as well as an across-the-board cut in the school tax rate. The recession has made the squeeze all the more difficult for schools.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 PM

770 posts, read 1,789,244 times
Quote:
Your the one who needs to hold your words fool. You have no idea what you are talking about. Texas is doing well because of the efforts of both Democrats and Republicans over the past few decades. Notice that I didn't condemn all Republicans as right wing nut jobs. The ones that currently control the party are. Rush Limbaugh is probably your idol ignoramus.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
And you are wrong about the governor. He has a lot more power than you think.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:39 PM

I have lived here in TEXAS for going on three years now and although the economy itself seems to be doing "just fine," its obvious that things in the state government are anything but fine. If they were, then there wouldn't be this issue of having to defund public libraries or other educational facilities/institutes. I think I would rather have Chris Christie or Bobby Jindal as the governor of this state than the likes of Rick Perry.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,924,208 times
Texas is considered a "weak governor" state and the constitutional powers of its governor are fairly minimal. They do include appointment powers, which are important, and extra-constitutionally the power to persuade and to lead, often behind the scenes. It has been considered that the Lt Governor actually has more effective power in Texas, due to the grip that office has on legislative affairs. Of course, any power is only as good as the will to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas