Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
What point? You haven't made one yet despite a few vain attempts. And trust me when I say that there aint nobody waiting on a response from you.
Well said and right on, my friend. Reasonable people can and often do disagree on controversial issues...and proabably none are more controversial than racial ones.

However, as you allude to, it sure does seem that those on the so-called "tolerant" side, are generally the most "intolerant" of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 11:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Well, all I can say is that the towns and cities where I have lived, you wouldn't want to defend most of the white people there. I've lived quite a few different places in the south: Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee. I've run into the same racist white people everywhere I've gone. Maybe I just have bad luck for picking places to live. Other than the racism and homophobia, people are quite lovely.
Gee, you do have some bad luck - a lot like my friend in the biracial marriage I discussed earlier.

Let's see - I've lived in Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Texas, for a total of about forty years. (I've also lived in Maryland, Ohio, Japan and Germany and traveled all over the US as a corporate trainer/public speaker.)

For thirty years of that time, I was carrying a brood of biracial kids around with me, raising them for the most part in the southern US. My multiracial family (starting with my parents and the adoption of my brother from Korea and continuing to the present day) has lived mostly in the southern US for most of that time.

Have I met racist white people? Absolutely! Have I met racist black people? Absolutely! Have I met judgmental straight people? Definitely. Have I met judgmental gay/lesbian people? Definitely.

But the vast majority of people I've met and interacted with have been basically nice, decent people. The vast majority of people have treated me and my family very well. Of course, maybe I'm crazy, but that MIGHT be because I expect the best from people, rather than the worst. People in general tend to meet one's expectations - whether the bar is set high or low. I learned that over my years of raising four kids, and managing people at work.

Some people see only the imperfections of a society - while others see the improvements as well as the imperfections - and choose to focus on what's working, and the commonalities in people, rather than focusing on the negatives.

Like I said earlier - it's more a matter of attitude than actuality, in my opinion.

But hey, that's just me.

By the way, let me point something out. It wasn't till TODAY - this morning - as I was reading through the new posts on this thread, that I realized that hey, not only are you WHITE - but (gasp) - YOU'RE A LESBIAN. Hell, till today, I didn't even know your gender.

You on the other hand, had already assumed that I'd responded to you based on your race. And accused me of such.

See what I mean? Attitude.

Who is REALLY judgmental here?

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-03-2013 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
My good friend was just kidding around. I luvs her.

Anyway, there have been threads on this subject before. Personally, I don't mind being called a "redneck". Whether it is perjorative or not is in the eyes/mind of the user.

I have said before though and will say again, if one ever has a flat tire on a rainy night along a lonely stretch of Texas highway...and doesn't know which end of the jack is up, then better hope like hell one of those "rednecks" (the type so many home-grown city slickers, and yankee types look down on) comes along to lend a hand!
All I can say is that if you're a redneck, hell I'm one too.

Drink up! It's five o'clock somewhere!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

And if both of you are rednecks I must be one as well. Hmm...I'm thirsty.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:

LOL If we weren't both in happy relationships/marriages ourselves, KathyA, I would suggest we go out a date and drink some beer. Don't get mad or think I am fickle, but I would ask the same of most of my female Texas friends on here! I just hope no one's husband reads this and shoots me.

Or that my own fiance doesn't find this and tie me up and hit me over the head with a frying pan (I think Willie Nelson's wife did that to him...but I LIKE to think I am a just a tad bit better looking than he is...)

Yikes! This gives me an idea for a light-hearted poll for us "older Texans"! Y'all give me a bit of time here to work it out...

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
And if both of you are rednecks I must be one as well. Hmm...I'm thirsty.
See above post my friend! One of these days we will all have to get together and BS and wash it all down with co' beer!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:09 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
Quote:
See above post my friend! One of these days we will all have to get together and BS and wash it all down with co' beer!
Sounds good to me.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
LOL If we weren't both in happy relationships/marriages ourselves, KathyA, I would suggest we go out a date and drink some beer. Don't get mad or think I am fickle, but I would ask the same of most of my female Texas friends on here! I just hope no one's husband reads this and shoots me.

Or that my own fiance doesn't find this and tie me up and hit me over the head with a frying pan (I think Willie Nelson's wife did that to him...but I LIKE to think I am a just a tad bit better looking than he is...)

Yikes! This gives me an idea for a light-hearted poll for us "older Texans"! Y'all give me a bit of time here to work it out...
Brang it!

As a good man once said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

One day we do need to get a Texas forum group together for beer and BBQ! Spouses and significant others included OF COURSE!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM

Hey, this is an interesting quote from, of all people, Napoleon Beazley, who was mentioned several times earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Very likely we'll never know "exactly what happened" on the night that John Luttig was murdered. But one detail from that August 10 Times story haunts me. While Beazley refuses to offer justifications for what he did, Yardley reports, "He said that as a light-skinned black teenager with lots of white friends he felt that stepping into the drug world helped him fit in with some black teenagers in town."
"When I started selling crack," Beazley says, "it was like 'I'm cool, I can fit in.' I didn't want to be shunned by the black community, I guess you could say. That's a sad thing to say."
Execution Approaches in a Most Rare Murder Case - NYTimes.com
The Strange Case of Napoleon Beazley | Christianity Today

Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM

[quote=TexKnox;28959258]
Quote:

You hadn't been paying very close attention.
Actually, you're sort of right and sort of wrong.

One of the things I enjoy about these forums is that unless someone tells you their ethnicity or other characteristics, you don't know them. I enjoy reading peoples' comments WITHOUT necessarily having a mental image of them.

I do realize that you've stated that you're white, and female, and a lesbian, but when I was responding to your posts a few days back, the posts I was referring to by you had not made these points clear.

Please excuse me but two weeks ago I had the flu and ran a fever for six days - and lived on TheraFlu and cough medicine laced with codeine. I claim FOG BRAIN.

Since I recovered (somewhat - still coughing and still a bit pitiful but that's another story), I've been inundated with family due to Easter as well as a family reunion. I've been checking the thread sporadically and skimming over most posts. Today was the first chance I've had in over two weeks to really sit down and read through the comments. Interesting.

That being said, I judge people on the content of their character, rather than their gender, the color of their skin, or their sexual preferences.

By the way, I spent all of yesterday reveling UNMOLESTED and UNSKATHED with my family in North Louisiana - a glorious mixture of white, black, Persian, and Korean. We hung out at Caddo Lake with some neighbors as well as my relatives...and everyone got along great.

No one burned a cross in the yard either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas