Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinlilly View Post
but without winter and hopefully within an hour or two of a nice beach (which may not be an option from what you all are posting). I do not like cold (although I am not a huge fan of muggy, humid heat) I had heard from an old pastor that Houston wasn't too muggy. Where I grew up in Alabama was HOT and HUMIDITY was a beast.
You won't be within an hour or two of a "nice" beach anywhere in Texas. Galveston can be nice and SPI is beautiful, but it isn't Florida. The beaches are more gray-sand and even on the best days, the water isn't clear. (it has to do with the way the water churns in the Gulf - everything is always turned up)
I grew up in Houston and Galveston was fun, but it isn't the "pretty" that you are looking for.

Regarding humidity and muggy weather.... your old pastor was WRONG. Houston and surrounding area have very high humidity. I am not sure if it is the same as Alabama, but I would think they are pretty close in the summer.

Good luck with your quest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinlilly View Post
such a bummer, I had heard Galveston were nice and SPI were beautiful. I grew up vacationing on Orange Beach, AL, Destin and Naples, FL and those beaches were all so white, never hot sand and beautiful see through green waters, I was hoping to get that without moving to Florida.

Several have mentioned San Antonio, but why? What are the 'good' and 'fun' things about it? My husband has been to San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and Houston on business which means, he saw nothing but airports a few nice restaurants and a hotel room.

We don't have to move, but Richmond, VA just doesn't seem like 'home'. I want somewhere similar to Asheville, NC but without winter and hopefully within an hour or two of a nice beach (which may not be an option from what you all are posting). I do not like cold (although I am not a huge fan of muggy, humid heat) I had heard from an old pastor that Houston wasn't too muggy. Where I grew up in Alabama was HOT and HUMIDITY was a beast.

Again, thanks for the help and the links/replies!! I am checking into them all!
I haven't been to Asheville, but I would assume that it's very humid. All of the cities you mention are also very humid, and that means muggy humid, as VA is (I've been there).

The only areas in Texas that are relatively dry are far West Texas and the Panhandle--but they're a very long way from the beach. South Padre Island is nice, but definitely not a white sand beach.

I honestly don't think that there is any place in Texas that fits what you are looking for.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
As far as south padre, these requirements will cancel that idea...
Quote:

near activities (we have elem. aged kids)

-within 30-45 mins of major (preferably international airport)
Texas Travel Guide

Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
If you want the hip and artsy aspects of Ashville, the best place in Texas would be Austin. I say this having lived there a total of 22 years covering parts of the 1970s-2004. However, Austin is much bigger than Ashville, and although the surrounding Texas Hill Country has a beauty of its own, it certainly isn't the same as being in the Smokey Mountains. Austin has the most overall liberal-progressive ethos in Texas, though the suburbs in particular are much more conservative (in this sense, you've got a contrast perhaps similar to Ashville and the small towns outlying it).

Must agree that the Galveston Beach is gross, and South Padre -- where I did like to go when we lived in Texas -- isn't nearly as nice as beaches in the Mid-Atlantic states, although the water of the Gulf can be wonderfully warm.

The main barrier island, Padre (NOT South Padre), has large areas that are federally protected and pristine. The question arises, however, as to where you would live to take advantage of that. Corpus Christi is a pretty little city, but very much a backwater and very conservative. Like other places on the gulf coast, it isn't immune from the possibility of being visited by hurricanes.

All in all, I'd opt for Austin.

But I'd be careful about a decision to move from the Mid-Atlantic/Upper South to Texas. The places are so different geographically and historically, and different culturally in certain respects. I would really want to spend some serious time in Texas before relocating. As you will see from my location, my partner and I went the opposite direction (though I had significant childhood history in VA and DC, so that was one factor).

Old 01-28-2013, 02:31 PM

66 posts, read 137,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post

But I'd be careful about a decision to move from the Mid-Atlantic/Upper South to Texas. The places are so different geographically and historically, and different culturally in certain respects. I would really want to spend some serious time in Texas before relocating. As you will see from my location, my partner and I went the opposite direction (though I had significant childhood history in VA and DC, so that was one factor).

Thanks!! We have lived in so many states, I just wanted to try something new, I loved the vibe of Asheville but not the winters or the mountains. I love the south for it's mild winters and generally kind people, and Richmond just isn't south to me really. If I have learned anything in the past 11 years of marriage is that home is where you make it because nothing is permanent. We have had 14 addresses in our 11 years together, so I guess I look at it as "if we don't like it, I'm sure we will move or be moved soon enough" HA HA HA!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Ever consider living in Charlottesville VA?

Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM

66 posts, read 137,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Ever consider living in Charlottesville VA?

We lived there and I couldn't get out of there quick enough lol! Too old, oddly laid out , mountains and cold!!

We are looking at Charleston, SC and San Antonio or Austin. We have mentioned FL but I have family there and prefer to keep a distance

Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Nothing in Texas like the white sand beaches and clear turquoise water of the Florida panhandle.
At the same time, too many people, including those in this thread, exaggerate the negative of Galveston. //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-pictures.html

Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
For an Asheville vibe, Galveston is actually probably the closest surprisingly. But as people have mentioned, the beaches there are not that great. Still, the ocean is the ocean (well the gulf is the gulf) so you can still go to sleep with the waves, eat freshly caught seafood, see some big ships and lighthouses, etc. But the neat part of Galveston is the historical feel -- like a little funky New Orleans with a touch of "island vibe".

Next on the list would be Austin, but it's a much bigger city now. Lots of opportunity and very safe, but you have to live centrally to really get the vibe that it's known for (or anything remotely like Ashville). There are some pretty areas, too, at least for Texas (Hills, lakes and trees). However the growing suburban areas are quite the same as any other suburb in anywhere, USA.

San Antonio is another good option IMO.

Houston is a great city but sounds like it doesn't meet your criteria.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,401 times
Summer is from end of May/beginning of June to October. I'm not kidding. It is very hot until mid October. Even Halloween you never know whether you will bundle the kids or be in shirtsleeves/shorts with costumes. And Houston is way muggy. San Antonio less so. Houston is like a sauna in the summer - think exiting the shower after a super hot shower - that muggy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas