Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Sure, there are some differences, but there are a whole lot of similarities too: For example, want to guess where this picture was taken?
http://realrural.org/images/uploads/...2-slide-07.jpg
Boston? NYC? New Orleans? Seattle?? This is silly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right and from what I've heard, they have a "gentleman's agreement" with Brookshires (east Texas chain that's also very nice) not to build in each others' "territories." Talk about the clash of the Titans.
Lol! I haven't seen Brookshire Brothers mentioned in years. I have a few of those guys in my family history covering my home county of Angelina. I think the Brothers originally opened a store at Tyler but they've always been a grocery retail force at Lufkin.

This is why you may have seen me say that if my wife had been from Angelina County, my children would likely have webbed toes. I'm just about kin to everyone in Angelina County.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Lol! I haven't seen Brookshire Brothers mentioned in years. I have a few of those guys in my family history covering my home county of Angelina. I think the Brothers originally opened a store at Tyler but they've always been a grocery retail force at Lufkin.

This is why you may have seen me say that if my wife had been from Angelina County, my children would likely have webbed toes. I'm just about kin to everyone in Angelina County.
Well, we're talking about two different entities. There is "Brookshire BROTHERS" and then there is simply "Brookshires." At one point they were one and the same but they split off a long time ago.

From the company website:

Quote:
Today, Brookshire Grocery Co. has more than 150 stores operating in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, under four distinct banners:

Brookshire’s Food Stores Full-service supermarkets featuring everything from specialty departments to carryout service;
Super 1 Foods Stores Upscale warehouse-style stores with lower operating costs passed on to customers;
Olé Foods Heavy emphasis on meeting the demands of Hispanic shoppers;
FRESH by Brookshire’s A concept store that combines the offerings of a full-service supermarket with specialty, organic and natural products and an extensive chef-prepared foods selection.
The company also operates three distribution facilities — two based in Tyler, Texas, and one in Monroe, La. — with more than 2 million total square feet and a company fleet of 72 tractors and more than 300 trailers. BGC’s internal manufacturing facilities include bakery, dairy, ice cream, yogurt, fresh-cut, ice and water/drink plants, all in the Tyler area, which produce a wide variety of award-winning products including the popular Goldenbrook Farms Premium Ice Cream.
http://www.brookshires.com/company-history/

Brookshire Brothers has about 70 stores.

HEB has a little over 300 stores in Texas and Mexico.

Just FYI!

I've never been to a Brookshire Brothers store but I love HEB and would like to see them move into our area - It will be interesting to see how Brookshires responds if they do.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
The stores at Lufkin are called Brookshire Brothers but it's definitely the same Brookshire family. The two companies split in the 1930s.

I might add, I don't recall ever going into an HEB or a Brookshires but I probably have.

I'm not really sure how these Brookshires are hooked into my own families without looking further but Wood Trenton Brookshire (1904-1977) founder of the original Brookshire store at Tyler is the progenitor of the line in my data. The great grandfather of Wood T. Brookshire was Mannering Brookshire, born ca 1796 in SC. But I digress...

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 02-06-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas