Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Cathy, so did you eat the genuine stuff in Mexico since that's the only way to get it? I would love to try this, it sounds wonderful. Reminds me of when we were stationed in Germany when I was a kid and the little mom and pop bakeries in each town made these absolutely wonderful yeast "broetchen" or rolls that taste similar to what you described. My German cousin says that these days alot of them are mass produced anymore and do not taste the same, although they're still good. What a shame!.......

My mother was German and oh, how she could cook! I miss her cooking but I can duplicate some of it. I'm hungry just thinking about it!
Yep.....I've never had food that I loved better than interior Mexican...all manner of chile sauces, delicious grilled meats, caldos, soups, bolillos...YUM. The bolillos and most bakery items are actually holdovers from the French occupation of Mexico, so that got added in!! It's all a nice blend of all of the cultures that make up the country!

I've never had genuine German food that I know of.....but I really don't like what I have sampled here in the states. I'm sure it's probably not the same at all...right?

I can't eat sauerkraut because the smell gags me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
You two need to stop talking about these good finds when it comes to Mexican breads. I LOVE bread and real Mexican food as well as tex-mex. I recently saw a Mexican bakery not too far from me the other day and now you have me all worked up wanting to stop by and see if they have any. There goes my diet

Old 11-07-2007, 01:41 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yep.....I've never had food that I loved better than interior Mexican...all manner of chile sauces, delicious grilled meats, caldos, soups, bolillos...YUM. The bolillos and most bakery items are actually holdovers from the French occupation of Mexico, so that got added in!! It's all a nice blend of all of the cultures that make up the country!

I've never had genuine German food that I know of.....but I really don't like what I have sampled here in the states. I'm sure it's probably not the same at all...right?

I can't eat sauerkraut because the smell gags me....
You are definitely right, it is NOT the same! I have been to some of these stateside German restaurants and while some of them have tasty dishes, they are not the same as what my mother, aunt and grandmother could make. Granted, some of it may take some getting used to, like sauerkraut and Sauerbraten which is a cut of beef like pot roast and marinated for a couple of days in a vinegar/herb/spice mixture. I did not like it as a child or even young adult but I do now. I have a sauerkraut recipe that calls for braising in the oven for several hours. I haven't tried it yet but the way it's prepared, I'm thinking that might cut down on the gag-inducing reflex!

Momof2, I live not too far from a Mexican bakery in Arlington that I've only frequented once several years ago. I may have to give them a try again although, like Cathy said, I know it won't be the same as the real thing in Mexico.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM

417 posts, read 867,682 times
This is a very funny thread, howbout youstart listing your bodyweight along with it. lol

Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
This is a very funny thread, howbout youstart listing your bodyweight along with it. lol
We can't eat like this everyday. These are the things we dearly love but don't get too often. Our grandparents and great-grandparents could eat like a horse and eat this stuff everyday. They lived very long lives, were healthy and active on up into their very ripe old age. Difference is they worked hard physical labor in the fields, on the farm, etc. Nowadays people are too sedentary to eat like that everyday. While they could eat a HUGE big "fattening" breakfast, a good size dinner/lunch and a huge super we can't.

BTW, I don't fall under the obese catagory either and neither do most of us that love to eat this stuff.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post

Wow, nice contribution, thanks for the input.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You two need to stop talking about these good finds when it comes to Mexican breads. I LOVE bread and real Mexican food as well as tex-mex. I recently saw a Mexican bakery not too far from me the other day and now you have me all worked up wanting to stop by and see if they have any. There goes my diet
LOL!!!

Here in Alamogordo, that is one of the things I miss the most.

The "Mexican" restaurants here are either outright lousy or mediocre at best. There is one that isn't bad, but not nearly as good as what you can get in TX.

There IS a panaderia here that I am going to check out, but I'm not optimistic.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!!!

Here in Alamogordo, that is one of the things I miss the most.

The "Mexican" restaurants here are either outright lousy or mediocre at best. There is one that isn't bad, but not nearly as good as what you can get in TX.

There IS a panaderia here that I am going to check out, but I'm not optimistic.
I have some friends who moved to California and they did not like the mexican food out there. Said it was so totally different from ours.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I have some friends who moved to California and they did not like the mexican food out there. Said it was so totally different from ours.
I've had CA/CO Mex food, and it is definitely different...and not nearly so good.

Fortunately, I am a good cook...and I CAN get the necessary ingredients out here, so all is not lost, LOL!!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
I've had Mexican food in CA once and much to my surprise, I could barely finish it. Did not appeal to me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas