Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,230 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a place to take my 12 year old for her first visit to the ocean? She loves beaches, but has only ever been to them along the Great Lakes. We are visiting my parents in Houston at the end of May, and I was hoping that she might actually be able to play in the ocean somewhere. Can anyone tell me if there is a clean, safe place for her to swim (would prefer that she not experience jellyfish up close and personal on her first trip in!)? We are up for places between Houston and Corpus - would prefer not to drive that far, if possible, but I really want this to be something she will always remember!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
If you are primarily looking at Texas upper coast - I think the Corpus area has nicer beaches. Mustang Island is one place. I know there are others. Check out #2:
America's Best Beach Towns - AOL Travel News

I wouldn't recommend Galveston beaches for the first time experience. Galveston has some neat stuff (more interesting stuff for grown-ups to do), but a lot of it is also run down. Maybe someone else can chime in about other beaches further down the Tx coast.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
If you are primarily looking at Texas upper coast - I think the Corpus area has nicer beaches. Mustang Island is one place. I know there are others. Check out #2:
America's Best Beach Towns - AOL Travel News

I wouldn't recommend Galveston beaches for the first time experience. Galveston has some neat stuff (more interesting stuff for grown-ups to do), but a lot of it is also run down. Maybe someone else can chime in about other beaches further down the Tx coast.
Thank you for the input! I will check those out!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,529 times
We loved going to North Padre Island National Seashore. It's just the other direction from Mustang Island.
You buy a $10 pass that lasts a week, or a $20 pass that lasts a year. They do occasional turtle releases and nature walks/talks each day by park rangers. I miss it!
Have fun!!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Thank you! Can anyone tell me anything about Aransas?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Should you decide to stick with the Galveston journey, you might get other better detail by inquiring in the Houston forum. Back in my day we'd journey to Galveston most every weekend. However, once reaching the seawall we'd head west, nearly to the west end of the island. Actually, we'd take back streets to cut down the drive but I'll not go into that here.

The seawall runs out and then the drive is just a regular road. From time to time there were sand roads that would access the beach. The sand is better, generally less crowded, no facilities. The best beach would be the last road before San Luis Pass. I have no idea what you'd find there today.

It's generally considered that the best beach in Texas would be Padre Island, the further south, the better the beach. But that would mean Harlingen. And an airplane. In which case you'd be better off headed to Florida.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,529 times
Good point!! Houston might have a lot of advice!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:41 PM

We don't mind the distance - we will likely be in TX for 8-10 days, and are planning a trip to San Antonio for a couple days and the beach for a couple (maybe 3?) days. Distance from Houston is not a factor, as long as it's not more than a 4-5 hour drive; anything longer than that is just wasting precious vacation time! =)

Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no8fann View Post
Can anyone recommend a place to take my 12 year old for her first visit to the ocean? She loves beaches, but has only ever been to them along the Great Lakes. We are visiting my parents in Houston at the end of May, and I was hoping that she might actually be able to play in the ocean somewhere. Can anyone tell me if there is a clean, safe place for her to swim (would prefer that she not experience jellyfish up close and personal on her first trip in!)? We are up for places between Houston and Corpus - would prefer not to drive that far, if possible, but I really want this to be something she will always remember!
Port Aransas for a 12 year old.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Port Aransas for a 12 year old.
Can you give me a little more than that? What is there that would make it better than the other places? I have been looking at it, but I can't get any really solid information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas