Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,952,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
With property taxes being as high as they are in Texas already, you would think that there would be enough tax money even in the poor counties (such as the Lower Rio Grande Valley counties) to adequately to fund the public schools in those counties.

Despite some of my views, I am against the Robin Hood taxes. Each county should have enough money to fund it's school systems from taxes on properties. If not, where is all of that tax revenue going? In the 3 years that I have been here in TX I have heard from many locals that most of the education funding comes from the property taxes.
No, one wouldn't think that because we don't have a State income tax. Yet, another example of middle class and poor whites not having the spine/brains to stick up for themselves.

In 2010, Texas had the 45th lowest State/local tax burden and here you are implying you just are so heavily overtaxed! Where's all the money going to? Ghee Whiz! I pay so much!

Right wing brainwashing is very very effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,559,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No, one wouldn't think that because we don't have a State income tax. Yet, another example of middle class and poor whites not having the spine/brains to stick up for themselves.
LMAO Uhhh, padcrasher? Perhaps what is boils down to is that money is not always what it is all about. I truly feel sorry for those of you who think that way. Maybe -- in final analysis -- it has just as not always so much to do with pure dollars (which are getting more and more worthless), but family, values, traditional culture and classic notions of freedom.

Quote:
and here you are implying you just are so heavily overtaxed! Where's all the money going to?
Good! I hope we become the 50th!

Quote:
Ghee Whiz! I pay so much!
LOL Be honest Padcrasher. When was the last time you paid taxes at all...and sales tax dont count. How many jobs for the "poor" -- that you bawl and bleed over -- have you ever provided for them?

Quote:
Right wing brainwashing is very very effective.
Padcrasher? There is an old saying, I cant help but agree with it: Goes something like that anybody at 20 who is not a liberal doesnt have a heart, and anyone over 40 who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain! LOL

Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,828,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
.......in final analysis -- it has just as not always so much to do with pure dollars (which are getting more and more worthless), but family, values, traditional culture and classic notions of freedom.

LOL Be honest Padcrasher. When was the last time you paid taxes at all...and sales tax dont count. How many jobs for the "poor" -- that you bawl and bleed over -- have you ever provided for them?

Padcrasher? There is an old saying, I cant help but agree with it: Goes something like that anybody at 20 who is not a liberal doesnt have a heart, and anyone over 40 who isn't a conservative doesn't have a brain! LOL
LOL!! Good post, TR.......can't rep you, but......

I must never have had a heart......I wasn't even liberal in HIGH school, LOL!!! Maybe I was less conservative than later on, but a liberal.....NEVER.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,952,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! Good post, TR.......can't rep you, but......

I must never have had a heart......I wasn't even liberal in HIGH school, LOL!!! Maybe I was less conservative than later on, but a liberal.....NEVER.
It boils down to ignorance or low IQ. The most advanced societies in the World tax high, and provide much more substantial government benefits. You can see it here in the US as well. Ashkenazi Jews and Asians, two groups, that have the highest IQ's in the World are reliable Democratic voters, despite the fact, they face higher progressive income tax rates. Broken down along racial lines Northeast States, West Coasters are higher paid, higher educated, have more health insurance. Southern whites can't get past racism. That's what it boils down to. But it's changing, by 2028, the adults will takeover in Texas and rational whites will work with hispanics to stop this right wing assault on middle class benefits.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
It boils down to ignorance or low IQ. The most advanced societies in the World tax high, and provide much more substantial government benefits. You can see it here in the US as well. Ashkenazi Jews and Asians, two groups, that have the highest IQ's in the World are reliable Democratic voters, despite the fact, they face higher progressive income tax rates. Broken down along racial lines Northeast States, West Coasters are higher paid, higher educated, have more health insurance. Southern whites can't get past racism. That's what it boils down to. But it's changing, by 2028, the adults will takeover in Texas and rational whites will work with hispanics to stop this right wing assault on middle class benefits.
Whatever.....you are absolutely totally full of yourself and your <sarcasm on> enlightened liberalism.....</sarcasm off>

FYI......my home county high school (property-wealthy district) is MAJORITY HISPANIC/Mexican-American, to the tune of about 70% or more. You liberals always have to play the race card, don't you?

Last edited by Cathy4017; 02-10-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
With property taxes being as high as they are in Texas already, you would think that there would be enough tax money even in the poor counties (such as the Lower Rio Grande Valley counties) to adequately to fund the public schools in those counties.

Despite some of my views, I am against the Robin Hood taxes. Each county should have enough money to fund it's school systems from taxes on properties. If not, where is all of that tax revenue going? In the 3 years that I have been here in TX I have heard from many locals that most of the education funding comes from the property taxes.
Poorer areas in Texas have very little taxable property. If it costs about $10K per pupil per year, then a school district of 5,000 students needs about $50M per year to run the district. Generating $50M in property tax revenue isn't so easy when rates are limited by law to (I think 1.5%). If you do the math backwards to figure out how much taxable property is needed - it takes about $3.3B of taxable property to generate $50M from 1.5%.

So the answer is NO - each school district (not necessarily a county) will NOT have enough money to fund its school systems from property. Hence the need for additional funding.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM

13,715 posts, read 31,093,243 times
Quote:
Your ideology must get in the way of lots of things for you.

If southern whites can't get past racism why are more African Americans migrating from the north to the south? Could it be that northern racism is the dirty little secret so many don't want to talk about or acknowledge?

Groups of people vote a certain way for lots of reasons. And Asians (it is an error to group them all together) do well in school not because of how they vote but because their family life and culture are strongly pro-education.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,697,162 times
Sorry for not replying in my own thread, it’s been a hellofa week but I wanted stop in & share some of my views.

I resent Robin Hood. My hard earned tax money is taken away from my kids & spent on people living here illegally who don’t pay a dime in taxes. I don’t like investing in millions of people who come here by way of committing a federal crime. I want to invest in Texas children. I want my local property tax money spent on my school district.

Thanks goodness for bonds. At least we have a loophole to invest in local kids where the wealth redistribution monsters can’t steal. Did you know that there’s a group (can’t remember right now) who is about to file suit on the state because they say that bonds aren't fair to poor districts? They want districts who use bonds to have to pay a percentage of that tax income to Robin Hood. Next thing you know they'll be coming into your PTA meetings to collect a percentage of your dues.

Some here have said that illegals aren't the reason we’re failing, but like most of you, I disagree. There's only one reason Texas experienced a budget crisis soon after the 1965 immigration reform passed. There are tons of studies that prove that legal & illegal immigration are a burden on our state. These studies are all over the internet, I'm not linking them, you can Google. My beef is with our federal government who fails to efficiently secure a border that America shares with a poor country who traditionally has jumbo sized families ....…..yet they expect Texas to educated those children without federal support.

Let’s dump hundreds of thousands of non-taxpaying, poverty ridden Bulgarian children into Ohio schools & see if Ohio is able to fund their special needs (ESL, free lunch, free age 3 & 4 preschool for non English, just to name a few) while meeting the state of Ohio's testing standards.......all without federal support. Don't forget that these Bulgarian kids are using Ohio's tax money while their parents don't pay a dime in school taxes. Ohio schools would sink fast.

Washington needs to pay for their open arms policy on immigration, individual states can't afford it.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,350,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

I resent Robin Hood...

Some here have said that illegals aren't the reason we’re failing, but like most of you, I disagree. There's only one reason Texas experienced a budget crisis soon after the 1965 immigration reform passed. There are tons of studies that prove that legal & illegal immigration are a burden on our state. These studies are all over the internet, I'm not linking them, you can Google. My beef is with our federal government who fails to efficiently secure a border that America shares with a poor country who traditionally has jumbo sized families ....…..yet they expect Texas to educated those children without federal support.

Let’s dump hundreds of thousands of non-taxpaying, poverty ridden Bulgarian children into Ohio schools & see if Ohio is able to fund their special needs (ESL, free lunch, free age 3 & 4 preschool for non English, just to name a few) while meeting the state of Ohio's testing standards.......all without federal support. Don't forget that these Bulgarian kids are using Ohio's tax money while their parents don't pay a dime in school taxes. Ohio schools would sink fast.

Washington needs to pay for their open arms policy on immigration, individual states can't afford it.

You appear to be presenting two issues here:

1. Dispersal of your tax dollars outside your school district that would have been used to enrich your child's education.
2. These tax dollars subsequently being used to support the education of illegal immigrants, whose parents fail to pay into the system from which they benefit.

I think many people share your frustrations and resentments about the program - who wouldn't want their hard-earned tax dollars used to directly benefit their children's education? Who wouldn't want to be assured that if their money is to be used to support other school districts, it would be used wisely and effectively?

We live in a communal society, and as long as our children are well provided for with all the tools and opportunities they will need to succeed in life, should we not offer the same opportunities for those less fortunate- especially if we could? An opportunity to receive a good quality education will enable them to break the cycle of generational poverty, and become tax paying, contributing members of society. Now, many will fail to take advantage of that opportunity, but some will not, and that is the "margin of error" that must be accepted because NO program (esp. social programs) is 100% effective. Those who succeed will provide a long lasting "return of investment" because educated people of a higher socio-economic class will have jobs that enable them to pay taxes, will more likely have less children, and will also be more likely to pass on their value of education to their children, thus perpetuating the cycle of achievment.

The alternative is to let those who are less fortunate, whether due to their bad luck of being born into the wrong family, or being brought here illegally by their parents, fend for themselves. However, without a means to break out of poverty, you can be sure whatever small benefit that may be gained from your tax savings will be completely offset by the long-term burdens on society (crime, overpopulation/high birth rates, drain on social programs, etc.) And the only way to protect yourself completely would be to seal yourself off and live in a completely self-reliant bubble. How realistic is that?

The approach to ending generational poverty needs to be multi-pronged and this program is but one of them -imperfect though it may be. The key is that the money be used wisely and effectively on programs that provide long-term skills needed to succeed, and not short-term skills to be good test takers. As some have mentioned, the problems of generational poverty are complex, and tied to social/cultural values, lack of parental guidance, as well as lack of opportunity. However, it IS possible to use those tax dollars effectively, as demonstrated by a New Jersey program that successfully addresses some of those issues by reaching the children when they are young (pre-school and kindergarteners):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/op...anted=all&_r=0

Regarding point #2, illegal immigrants from Mexico (and elsewhere) will always be a problem as long as those countries supplying them continue to have corrupt governments and a social-economic system that does not provide for broad opportunities of mobility. The need to strengthen our borders is a concern shared by everyone, regardless of political affiliation. Because it will never be 100% effective, we will continue to need programs such as these. But yes, border control needs to be a top priority.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Mingna, you make several good points.

HOWEVER....we are caught between a rock and a hard place. They (illegals/non-citizens) come to bleed off of our educational system because we ALLOW it.

Much of this would come to a screeching halt if they had to prove their citizenship. Most of them are far too poor to pay tuition, but we have to start at some point. Some 80% of them are from Mexico, which IS a corrupt, incompetent country that can't even manage their own affairs.

If we stopped birthright citizenship, required them to prove their citizenship and stopped paying to educate those who leech off of the system--we'd be better off on the whole, despite some of the negative consequences. Districts would have more funds to apply to legal citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: