Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times

Advertisements

True that Tarrant County leans heavily Republican, but the OP is also looking for an "academic" city, one for outdoor activities, traditional "mid American values", and one with "less materialism." Is the Southlake area really the best bet as everyone is suggesting? The OP needs to rank her priorities, because this will be a tough find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Move to Oak Lawn or Deep Ellum in Dallas or Montrose in Houston.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I'd check out FORT WORTH! I think Fort Worth is a terrific city for a family. It's in the D/FW metroplex, but it's got more character than Dallas. There are many smallish towns on the west side of Fort Worth that are charming, but are close enough to the city for you to enjoy the amenities.

You may also want to check out Tyler. It's two hours east of Dallas, and is the home of the Diocese of Tyler. It has an extremely dynamic and close knit (and quickly growing) Catholic community. Tyler was founded largely by Lebanese Marionites, and is a very sophisticated town for it's size (about 150,000 people in the area). Good shopping, family friendly neighborhoods, a very diverse economic base with lots of professional job opportunities, low unemployment, low crime rates, lots of nice historic homes, private schools, good public schools, etc.

East Texas (Tyler area) also has lots of state parks, lakes, etc. And Tyler has several very nice walking trails, city parks, skateplexes, that sort of thing.

Just a thought.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Exclamation A real Catholic town

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
We're a young couples--in our 20s--and don't yet have kids. But we plan on having several--yes, several--and we're also looking for a larger metro area that would fit us best. Most of all, I'm hoping to find a generally socially conservative--and economically conservative, too, although that issue set is less important--area. I'm hoping for a generally church-going, extremely family-friendly kind of area. More "traditional mid-American" and, perhaps, a less cosmopolitan. Although I am hoping for a sophisticated flair, which most Texas cities provide, as far as I know. We plan on living in the suburbs, and so we prefer a city with nicer suburbs. Here are a few other considerations:

* We're rather outdoorsy, and would appreciate access to hiking spots and other outdoors ammenities.

* I'm not much into glitz and glamour, so I'd prefer an area/city that is a little more laid-back. More friendly, maybe, and less materialism, if I can put it like that.

* I'm Catholic, and I"m hoping for a city with a large, young, robust, dynamic, and especially orthodox diocese and population.

* I'm also hoping for a more academic city (though probably not Austin).

Thanks.
The oldest German Catholic Church in Texas and the oldest wooden church building in Galveston, St. Joseph's was built by German immigrants in 1859-60. Bishop John Odin, the first Catholic bishop of Texas, recommended a church be built for the German-speaking Catholics of the growing city. The church was dedicated in April 1860, to St. Joseph, the patron saint of laborers.

GALVESTON.COM: 1859 St. Joseph Church

If you want to live in a town with a real traditional Catholic population try Galveston Texas, Its on an island to boot....

Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
In all seriousness, Ft Worth is going to be your best bet for a large conservative city. As for Tarrant County, the Eastern side is more diverse so I'd imagine it's more liberal, you may not like that area of the county as it ties in closely to Dallas County, etc.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
In all seriousness, Ft Worth is going to be your best bet for a large conservative city. As for Tarrant County, the Eastern side is more diverse so I'd imagine it's more liberal, you may not like that area of the county as it ties in closely to Dallas County, etc.
There's also the near Southside and Cultural District, both neighborhoods are (I'm willing to bet) much more liberal.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There's also the near Southside and Cultural District, both neighborhoods are (I'm willing to bet) much more liberal.
Yes. My favorite parts of FW.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'd check out FORT WORTH! I think Fort Worth is a terrific city for a family. It's in the D/FW metroplex, but it's got more character than Dallas. There are many smallish towns on the west side of Fort Worth that are charming, but are close enough to the city for you to enjoy the amenities.

You may also want to check out Tyler. It's two hours east of Dallas, and is the home of the Diocese of Tyler. It has an extremely dynamic and close knit (and quickly growing) Catholic community. Tyler was founded largely by Lebanese Marionites, and is a very sophisticated town for it's size (about 150,000 people in the area). Good shopping, family friendly neighborhoods, a very diverse economic base with lots of professional job opportunities, low unemployment, low crime rates, lots of nice historic homes, private schools, good public schools, etc.

East Texas (Tyler area) also has lots of state parks, lakes, etc. And Tyler has several very nice walking trails, city parks, skateplexes, that sort of thing.

Just a thought.
Y'all sure never miss a chance to rip on Dallas

The public schools in Fort Worth are almost all pretty bad, and crime rates in Fort Worth and Dallas are about the same. At best it's a wash on family friendliness. Character is such an arbitrary and subjective category to emphasize in a city. I personally feel they come in equal on that category, so whatever. I'm not a fan of all the cow patties in the stockyards, but funky town does have some nice art deco architecture.

which is more conservative? Fort Worth wins that battle.

My pick is San Antonio

Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD3 View Post

The public schools in Fort Worth are almost all pretty bad, and crime rates in Fort Worth and Dallas are about the same. At best it's a wash on family friendliness. Character is such an arbitrary and subjective category to emphasize in a city. I personally feel they come in equal on that category, so whatever. I'm not a fan of all the cow patties in the stockyards, but funky town does have some nice art deco architecture.

Um.... no, dude. Not a real good first post.

Especially considering the only "rip" she had on Dallas was saying that Fort Worth had more character which you could blow that off. Nothing was mentioned about Fort Worth being a better city, you just went all the way to left field on that one.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD3 View Post

My pick is San Antonio
There is a wide variety in the quality of public schools in Fort Worth - like there would be in any large metro area.

Fort Worth has more positive personality than Dallas - IN MY OPINION. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas