Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 9,558 times

Advertisements

works for gov't and it's about 85% sure. I have marketing job I MIGHT be able to take with me. He's spanish speaking, I am not. How will this impact us? I'm looking at housing and MIssion seems to be the place to be(is it safe?)...but have also seen townhomes (we hate lawn work) Villas Del Toro(sp?). Will I need to learn spanish? Worried about crime/burglaries/car thefts and uninsured drivers that I see on here. Is it really that bad? No kids no pets and he is in law enforcement, but I will work from home and we live in DC now in a high-rise apartment, so quite a culture change. I used to live in Oregon around a large migrant population so I'm not afraid of other cultures, and WELCOME a non-commute! I just don't want to have to buy a new car every 6 months if it's stolen and/or wrecked...and replace things from the home only to be lost due to burglary.

Anyone have anything nice to say about McAllen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFTEXAN11 View Post
works for gov't and it's about 85% sure. I have marketing job I MIGHT be able to take with me. He's spanish speaking, I am not. How will this impact us? I'm looking at housing and MIssion seems to be the place to be(is it safe?)...but have also seen townhomes (we hate lawn work) Villas Del Toro(sp?). Will I need to learn spanish? Worried about crime/burglaries/car thefts and uninsured drivers that I see on here. Is it really that bad? No kids no pets and he is in law enforcement, but I will work from home and we live in DC now in a high-rise apartment, so quite a culture change. I used to live in Oregon around a large migrant population so I'm not afraid of other cultures, and WELCOME a non-commute! I just don't want to have to buy a new car every 6 months if it's stolen and/or wrecked...and replace things from the home only to be lost due to burglary.

Anyone have anything nice to say about McAllen?
McAllen is generally thought of as the nicest city in the Rio Grande Valley area and the center for shopping in the area.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 9,558 times
Thanks, can you offer up any kind of advice on safety or best places to look for housing? Currently looking at a house in the Sherland/Mission area, but am also considering Villas Del Tesoro which is near the Medical Center in McAllen.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Just think of it as the better part of a Mexican city. Keep the english, you'll learn whatever Tex/Mex you'll need.

There aren't a whole lot of posters on the forum from south Texas. Can your husband reach out to his 'to be' office for some guidance? They'll know best what you're headed in to.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
If you are coming from Washington D.C. I'd say there's about a 3 in 4 chance you are going to hate it down there.

I lived there for 7 years. It's a whole different world. I speak Spanish, which is helpful and yes some residents will be offended if you don't. But they are few and far between.

The main issue I had with the Valley is that it's not an American culture nor is it a Mexican culture. The Valley is its own culture. Here are some of the characteristics:

-People, even middle class and higher will often times take advantage of every government program possible.

-Public schools in The Valley are terrible. The residents will tell you otherwise, but I invite you to go to McAllen Memorial or Sharyland high school and ask a teacher how well the average graduate does their freshman year of college. I am married into a family from The Valley and have already witnessed within the family a Salutatorian get their ass handed to them at Notre Dame and another relative last less than a year at University of Texas.

-Mexican Nationals "own" the Valley. They have more money, are catered to and retail revolves around them. Recently, they built a Papadeaux's (a very popular chain in Houston). That was for the Nationals. Also, the Nationals treat the locals like dirt (which adds to the culture being its own).

There is a lot more, but the locals don't take kindly to change or criticism (which probably explains why they have had the same corrupt politicians robbing them blind for years).

If you would like more info from a non-native, send me a direct message.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
I would probly 2nd the crbcrbrgv comments. I've been there only once - a long while ago - and have no plans to return. The part about coming from DC... where you're used to seeing trees, well, in the valley most of anything you're going to see is dirt. And sky.

At least there will be some higher education on its way...

UT System begins planning for Valley medical school | www.statesman.com
Quote:
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Responding to demographic realities and some prodding from the state Legislature, officials of the University of Texas System have begun to sketch out the prospects for establishing a medical school in the Lower Rio Grande Valley.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
I would probly 2nd the crbcrbrgv comments. I've been there only once - a long while ago - and have no plans to return. The part about coming from DC... where you're used to seeing trees, well, in the valley most of anything you're going to see is dirt. And sky.

At least there will be some higher education on its way...

UT System begins planning for Valley medical school | www.statesman.com
Doubtful it'll happen anytime soon. Politicians really drag their feet down there, and Austin really has no incentive to push things.

They've been saying US routes 281 and 77 will turn into Interstate 69 for decades now.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Um, please take the previous comments with a grain of salt--or maybe a little "Twang"--sorry--Texas humor! Mission actually seems more crime-ridden than McAllen, but for some reason people have an impression that Sharyland is the place to be. I don't get that at all. In reality, none of these places are even close to DC as far as crime. Who told you that you would have to replace your vehicle due to car thefts? Lol! Some of these responses are hilarious! Just do a search for RGV threads on this board, or pm me if you have further questions. FWIW, the dreaded Pappadeaux is a chain restaurant from Houston, founded by--oh the horror--not Mexican nationals, but, GREEKS! (It's also one of the best Restos in the RGV!)

Old 03-04-2013, 02:24 PM

31 posts, read 84,698 times
Here is a perspective form a non native living in the valley. Yes the Nationals are a pain in the ass and rude as hell and the Mexican Americans here don't like them as well. They are a large part of the economy but not the sole reason for the growth in the valley.

Contrary to what you hear crime is low here. Do your research and read the FBI crime stats for more information. There is much more crime in D.C. than there is here so you should feel safe.

The culture is latin/Mexican and always will be, I happen to like it. The education system in Sharyland is a good one and we are happy with the education our kids are getting. I am a cajun (born and raised in New Orleans) and my wife is from the valley. She has a masters in health administration so the comments above about kids not making it in college is crap. I have a degrees in Cardiopulmonary science and IT. I understand spanish but speak very little. They speak a TexMex here so even understanding Spainsh is not always a plus. My kids speak no spanish and have no issues in school or the community as a whole. We moved here by way of New Orleans and Louisville Kentucky.

I can go on fro ever because I do love it here. If you have any questions just PM me and I will help as much as I can.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmancoachjay View Post
Here is a perspective form a non native living in the valley. Yes the Nationals are a pain in the ass and rude as hell and the Mexican Americans here don't like them as well. They are a large part of the economy but not the sole reason for the growth in the valley.

Contrary to what you hear crime is low here. Do your research and read the FBI crime stats for more information. There is much more crime in D.C. than there is here so you should feel safe.

The culture is latin/Mexican and always will be, I happen to like it. The education system in Sharyland is a good one and we are happy with the education our kids are getting. I am a cajun (born and raised in New Orleans) and my wife is from the valley. She has a masters in health administration so the comments above about kids not making it in college is crap. I have a degrees in Cardiopulmonary science and IT. I understand spanish but speak very little. They speak a TexMex here so even understanding Spainsh is not always a plus. My kids speak no spanish and have no issues in school or the community as a whole. We moved here by way of New Orleans and Louisville Kentucky.

I can go on fro ever because I do love it here. If you have any questions just PM me and I will help as much as I can.
The culture is its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas