Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major Texas city is best prepared for growth?
Houston 41 39.42%
San Antonio 12 11.54%
DFW 37 35.58%
Austin 0 0%
Why is Austin in this thread? 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,310 times

Advertisements

Dallas has 75% of it's growth going in only one direction NORTH. Houston on the other hand has always grown in a more evenly distributed fashion hence keeping Houston at the center of the growth.

I am already hearing that Prosper will be taking the place of Frisco and McKinney as the new fast growing boom town. Which will be next? Melissa, Celina and Anna? Are you serious? some of those places are like 50 miles from Downtown Dallas. What about the giant void of nothingness that starts only a few miles south of Downtown Dallas? Why not develop that instead?

Growth in the city of Dallas has already trickled to only 1% for the entire decade 2000-2010. the city is barely growing at all. Fort worth will likely pass up Dallas in population maybe in 25 years or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Dallas has 75% of it's growth going in only one direction NORTH. Houston on the other hand has always grown in a more evenly distributed fashion hence keeping Houston at the center of the growth.

I am already hearing that Prosper will be taking the place of Frisco and McKinney as the new fast growing boom town. Which will be next? Melissa, Celina and Anna? Are you serious? some of those places are like 50 miles from Downtown Dallas. What about the giant void of nothingness that starts only a few miles south of Downtown Dallas? Why not develop that instead?

Growth in the city of Dallas has already trickled to only 1% for the entire decade 2000-2010. the city is barely growing at all. Fort worth will likely pass up Dallas in population maybe in 25 years or so.
Right!!!...which is why Dallas is better suited for the future because we have alot of time to plan things accordingly and when growth does pick up we will be ready. Houston is bursting at the seams already so no time for future planning...just time to throw sh*t together to try and sustain the population it already has.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
If this is the case, then why do drivers spend more time stuck in traffic on DFW freeways than in Houston? Houston doesn't have areas that can be filled in too? How about all of that land along 288 inside the Beltway? Or how about NE Houston around the Beltway and Highway 90? DFW has more rail than Houston, but Houston has more buses and a better commuter system. Of course, the commuter buses only run at rush hour. Besides, DFW is more setup like LA traffic wise than Houston is. And I would say DFW has more freeways, but I'll give the secondary road nod to Houston.

It's the same thing in Houston. I live ITL and I don't have to go far for anything, especially with no zoning. And Arlington is definitely not central geographically. It may be central to Dallas and Fort Worth, but DFW pulls too far to the N for Arlington to truly be central. Not seeing how it helps with logistics either. We all saw how much it helped logistically during the Super Bowl. There isn't public transportation access to three of the four stadiums around DFW. Meanwhile, all four of the stadiums in Houston are connected by public transit (and all four by rail once its complete).

Here is the planning map for Harris County. The county needs to give enough room to make the roadway expansion easier and should add more right turn yields: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De...MTFP_Map12.pdf
Houston's traffic is even worse than Chicago and Atlanta!
Study: Atlanta, Chicago tie for 7th worst commute - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Also, yes Arlington is more centered than Dallas in the metro area. Having large sports venues there does make some sense.

And the core neighborhoods in Dallas are more compact and urban and cohesive than the ones surrounding downtown Houston. From my apartment in Oak Lawn I can easily walk to Uptown, Highland Park or Knox-Henderson as well as the things offered in Oak Lawn. There are advantages having such amenities centralized.

It's funny because in other Houston vs Dallas threads people on the Houston side argue that Dallas has too many gaps, too much open land, it's too rural and Houston is built out and more continuous growth, etc. But in this thread Houston is apparently better suited for growth. So which one is it? To me, DFW having all of this open land would obviously give it more room to grow and fill in as well as urbanize in the center cities. Expansion of rail and highways throughout DFW will only enhance this.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
If this is the case, then why do drivers spend more time stuck in traffic on DFW freeways than in Houston? Houston doesn't have areas that can be filled in too? How about all of that land along 288 inside the Beltway? Or how about NE Houston around the Beltway and Highway 90? DFW has more rail than Houston, but Houston has more buses and a better commuter system. Of course, the commuter buses only run at rush hour. Besides, DFW is more setup like LA traffic wise than Houston is. And I would say DFW has more freeways, but I'll give the secondary road nod to Houston.

It's the same thing in Houston. I live ITL and I don't have to go far for anything, especially with no zoning. And Arlington is definitely not central geographically. It may be central to Dallas and Fort Worth, but DFW pulls too far to the N for Arlington to truly be central. Not seeing how it helps with logistics either. We all saw how much it helped logistically during the Super Bowl. There isn't public transportation access to three of the four stadiums around DFW. Meanwhile, all four of the stadiums in Houston are connected by public transit (and all four by rail once its complete).

Here is the planning map for Harris County. The county needs to give enough room to make the roadway expansion easier and should add more right turn yields: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/De...MTFP_Map12.pdf
Yes..The statiums in Houston are basically all connected by rail;but what you are not seeing is the fact the rail in houston serves NOBOdy...so if I lived in Katy I wouldnt give a rats arse that the stadium is connected by rail...I still would have to drive a thousand miles to get to the nearest train station. Meanwhile....in Dallas, if I lived in Plano I could hop on the train easily and be downtown in 30 min for a mavs game....Same for Rowlet,Carrollton,Richardson and Las Colinas.And as for the Cowboys and Ranger games..if I really wanted to go,it would be worth the drive.Our Stadiums are a Gazillion times better than Houston's....AND!.....Arlington is geographically centered between Dallas and FW. It really doesn't matter how much the metro sprawls to the north...Dallas and Ft.Worth are the CORE cities which means they are the most important.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Which of the Texas MSAs above have the best handle on growth both in the urban core and in the suburbs.
OK, I went back to the original question and as you can see he wasn't asking strictly about outward expansion. But all your jerking back and forth about your open spaces and freeway capacity is evading some other facors that are more important to growth. Like do you have the water it takes to grow the way you dream DFW will grow? This is the last time I will ask....

Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
OK, I went back to the original question and as you can see he wasn't asking strictly about outward expansion. But all your jerking back and forth about your open spaces and freeway capacity is evading some other facors that are more important to growth. Like do you have the water it takes to grow the way you dream DFW will grow? This is the last time I will ask....
Yes we do have the water it takes sir.
North Texas Municipal Water District - Meeting Future Supply Needs

Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I think we will be fine when it comes to water. We have a lot more reservoirs than many other places. Look how large LA is and i'm sure they don't have the water reserves we have.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
These guys claim to serve 1.6 million today and they say they will be serving 3.8 million by 2060 I'm sure DFW can handle 3.8 million but that is nowhere near the growth DFW boosters purport to expect. Is this the best you can do.

are you still under any water rationing restrictions now and what about Fort Worth, I read where they were in a possible dispute with Oklahoma over water rights to the Red River water shed.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM

200 posts, read 294,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yes..The statiums in Houston are basically all connected by rail;but what you are not seeing is the fact the rail in houston serves NOBOdy...so if I lived in Katy I wouldnt give a rats arse that the stadium is connected by rail...I still would have to drive a thousand miles to get to the nearest train station. Meanwhile....in Dallas, if I lived in Plano I could hop on the train easily and be downtown in 30 min for a mavs game....Same for Rowlet,Carrollton,Richardson and Las Colinas.And as for the Cowboys and Ranger games..if I really wanted to go,it would be worth the drive.Our Stadiums are a Gazillion times better than Houston's....AND!.....Arlington is geographically centered between Dallas and FW. It really doesn't matter how much the metro sprawls to the north...Dallas and Ft.Worth are the CORE cities which means they are the most important.
How arbitrary for you to say that "we can take the train to the Mavs game" but "its worth the drive" to see the Cowboys or Rangers. Meanwhile you rip us for having to drive to see our sports team . Let's face it here, most people are driving to their local stadium, not taking much mass transit. If people were really into mass transit, it would be reflected in the ridership numbers, in which both are not great at all currently.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlady Z View Post
How arbitrary for you to say that "we can take the train to the Mavs game" but "its worth the drive" to see the Cowboys or Rangers. Meanwhile you rip us for having to drive to see our sports team . Let's face it here, most people are driving to their local stadium, not taking much mass transit. If people were really into mass transit, it would be reflected in the ridership numbers, in which both are not great at all currently.
No...I said that in response to Houston having all of its stadiums connected by that itty bitty streetcar line in downtown Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas