Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major Texas city is best prepared for growth?
Houston 41 39.42%
San Antonio 12 11.54%
DFW 37 35.58%
Austin 0 0%
Why is Austin in this thread? 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,993,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yes, but I'm not sure how being more centrally located for air and rail makes it easier to handle growth in the future. It is just at a better location logistically for those two things (and of course we mean domestic air travel, because Houston is better for international air travel). Due to all the small cities around DFW, it is easier to plan for the growth once it comes, but traffic is still a pain in the ass, and drivers are still spending more time on dfw freeways than Houston freeways. But the planning difference between the older unincorporated areas of Houston vs the older DFW burbs is definitely noticeable. But the newer areas are planned better and I think the area is learning.

What does hurricane risks have to do with handling growth better in the future? Houston doesn't deal with tornado flare ups like DFW.
What international travel? To Asia or Europe? Someone in Austin or San Antonio wants to go backwards in order to go forward? It can serve Latin American and the Caribbean. OK. DFW one of the biggest airports in the World in terms of land size. And rail, aviation infrastructure allow a MSA to overcome growing pains. On the other hand Houston does have a port so that mitigates some of DFW rail/aviation advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 05:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You seem to be comfusing which city has the most amenities in its core vs. which metro area is best suited to handle growth. If the title of the thread were "Which Texas city has the most amenities in its core?", the I would agree that it is Houston. But we're talking about which metro area is best suited to handle growth, and that is DFW. It's suburbs are the most forward thinking, it already has a good commuter type rail in place, and it's more fragmented meaning that you can fit people almost anywhere in the metro area.
Well of course...its geographically impossible, Greater Houston can only grow to the North, East, & West because it is limited by the Gulf of Mexico to the South-Southeast while D/FW can grow in all 360 degree directions because its landlocked (no water) & bound only by Oklahoma to the far north which it will be reaching very soon.

I like to refer to North Texas as "Baja Oklahoma".

Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,970,728 times
Let's not kid ourselves though. There is still a ton of room south of Houston for growth, especially along 288. Houston isn't right up on the water like a Miami now.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Let's not kid ourselves though. There is still a ton of room south of Houston for growth, especially along 288. Houston isn't right up on the water like a Miami now.
True that, but the Bay Area where the majority of Galveston County people live (Clear Lake, League City, & Kemah) are pretty much built out to their maximum capacity.

Pearland is pretty much where all the growth stops right now along 288.

I see lots of potential in the Angleton, Lake Jackson, Freeport areas along the coast. Brazoria County is the next booming area of Houston just wait & see.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM

875 posts, read 1,663,219 times
As of now Dallas...but a lot can change in 30 years. I think the economic activity of each city will play a major role in the growth.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM

707 posts, read 1,847,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Even in Dallas I hope Austin stays small. It's too scenic to ruin by sprawl. It still has a little personality to the place. They aren't "unprepared". They just don't want the BS that goes along with growth.
I agree with you, except that it doesn't matter if they want the BS or not. People are moving there in droves. It's a nightmare now compared to when I lived there in the early to later 1990s. It's only going to get worse.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:31 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,767,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Even in Dallas I hope Austin stays small. It's too scenic to ruin by sprawl. It still has a little personality to the place. They aren't "unprepared". They just don't want the BS that goes along with growth.
Hope is not a plan. Austin is growing faster than every other city in Texas. Change is inevitable. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
True that, but the Bay Area where the majority of Galveston County people live (Clear Lake, League City, & Kemah) are pretty much built out to their maximum capacity.

Pearland is pretty much where all the growth stops right now along 288.

I see lots of potential in the Angleton, Lake Jackson, Freeport areas along the coast. Brazoria County is the next booming area of Houston just wait & see.
My friends in Brazoria County say that's already happening, with Houstonians starting to buy up River front property for weekend homes or moving down and commuting into Houston. I grew up in Brazoria and Houston is only ant. 45 minutes from Lake Jackson, no worse than a commute from anywhere else around the city.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Hope is not a plan. Austin is growing faster than every other city in Texas. Change is inevitable. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
That's cool.

Get at me when Austin finally gets an international airport & a few foreign embassies.

Oh...& manageable traffic on I-35.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 AM

195 posts, read 284,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Which is exactly why they need to expand the highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas