Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXonmymind2013 View Post
Hi,

Thank You for taking the time to read our post. We are a young family (mid-late 20s) with two elementary aged children looking for more out of life! I know your asking huh? lol. Well we are originally from NY and moved down to Florida 2 years ago to be near family and for a better quality of life for our family. And boy did we find out quick that quite frankly FL is not the peachy cream state it presents it self to be. Employment is horrible hence the reason we went into business for ourselves and that now has gone belly up! People just do not have the money to pay for our service anymore (Moving/Delivery co). Anyhow we do enjoy the NO state income tax and the FREE gun state that Florida is (We are law abiding gun owners! and proud of it!). We have some family and friends in the Dallas/FT Worth area and they seem to LOVE Texas life! From what I hear and read we will too!! Our problem is where to move?? What we are looking for in advice is preferably the seasonal part of texas (Northern) with a good job market, affordable housing, Good public schools, low crime, rural enough but within 35-40 mins from a city preferably. I will be looking into Law Enforcement positions (AS Degree in criminal justice) and my wife is a stay at home mom/ works from home (Internet retail business). So I do apologize for the longgggg post but any info would be great!

They are looking for police officers in Nacogdoches.

http://www.ci.nacogdoches.tx.us/pdf/JOB.pdf

20 bucks an hour is tough, real tough, but with two incomes you could make it.

Pay is weak, but the working conditions are not bad. I have a two bedroom two bath town house that I rent out for 750 a month. I think it is nice. I bought it close to the college and the hospital thinking I would rent it to students and/or nurses but young family took it. That is about what you can expect, some higher some lower.

The Nacogdoches School district is struggling so you might want to consider renting in Central Heights area north of town, nice mobile homes can be had up there for under a 1000. (I have been toying with the idea of picking up a repo 18 by 80 and throwing a metal building roof over it so that it has huge front and back porches, I should be able to put it together for under 70 grand and rent it for about 800.)

There are drugs and robberies and break-ins and all the other stuff to keep police officers busy. However, I live about as close as you can get to the "bad" side of town. I walk to work about 20 minutes, I walk to work in the dark and home in the dark. My biggest fear is getting run over by the Mom's talking on their cell phones after they drop Junior off at the day care.

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXonmymind2013 View Post
Hi,

Thank You for taking the time to read our post. We are a young family (mid-late 20s) with two elementary aged children looking for more out of life! I know your asking huh? lol. Well we are originally from NY and moved down to Florida 2 years ago to be near family and for a better quality of life for our family. And boy did we find out quick that quite frankly FL is not the peachy cream state it presents it self to be. Employment is horrible hence the reason we went into business for ourselves and that now has gone belly up! People just do not have the money to pay for our service anymore (Moving/Delivery co). Anyhow we do enjoy the NO state income tax and the FREE gun state that Florida is (We are law abiding gun owners! and proud of it!). We have some family and friends in the Dallas/FT Worth area and they seem to LOVE Texas life! From what I hear and read we will too!! Our problem is where to move?? What we are looking for in advice is preferably the seasonal part of texas (Northern) with a good job market, affordable housing, Good public schools, low crime, rural enough but within 35-40 mins from a city preferably. I will be looking into Law Enforcement positions (AS Degree in criminal justice) and my wife is a stay at home mom/ works from home (Internet retail business). So I do apologize for the longgggg post but any info would be great!
Current Job Opportunities | Human Resources

Longview pays a little more than Nacogdoches. It has more to do, and the rent may be a little less expensive. I have found that the housing in Nacogdoches is just a little more expensive than the housing in Kingwood just north of Houston. Kingwood is a very desirable area, so Longview might be pretty nice and Kilgore, Hallsville, and Gladewater are all possible living locations.

However, because Longview is a blue collar type town and is bigger than Nacogodoches there might be a little more violent crime there. This isn't to say that it is dangerous, if I had had a choice between Longview or Nacogdoches, I would have taken Longview.

While there are some outstanding places to live in Texas, like the hill country, and the high plains, and the high desert, and the Gulf Coast like Corpus Christie, I like East Texas best and consider the Tyler/Longview area the best of the best. However, Nacogdoches/Lufkin is a very nice area.

Good luck

Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas