Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 AM

83 posts, read 311,062 times

Advertisements

It's a big empty lot now, but what are they going to build there and what did it used to be? I remember when it was a fairly active corner--looks like it had three restaurants (I remember that the one to the northeast was a Shoney's, which opened in the early 1990s but was gone by 2003) and a hotel. What were they, and with it now empty, what is going to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:46 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Guy View Post
It's a big empty lot now, but what are they going to build there and what did it used to be? I remember when it was a fairly active corner--looks like it had three restaurants (I remember that the one to the northeast was a Shoney's, which opened in the early 1990s but was gone by 2003) and a hotel. What were they, and with it now empty, what is going to be?
I think Baylor has been buying up the commercial land along the east side of I-35 from University Parks Drive to about 8th street or so. They have been demolishing some of the stuff that was there and turning it into greenscape. Some of the other businesses along there seem to think they are on borrowed time....like the I-HOP for example. I don't know if it is part of an expansion plan to build out the area between campus and I-35 or if the are just creating a green landscaped moat around campus for the time being and perhaps "banking" the land for some yet to be determined purpose in the distant future.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:47 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Mike Copeland: Baylor razing nearby hotel; Waco distillery's award-winning success | Wacotrib.com

Hope this answers your question.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:53 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Wow lol

I was just in Waco about a month ago and I did not notice that entire section had been razed until I checked google map. I guess because every time I drove through that part; my focus was on the future home of baylor stadium.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Whoa, didn't realize the others were coming down too.

A - IHOP Restaurant (still here for now)
B - Smaller building and parking lot, demolished 2004-2005 (anyone remember?)
C - Aforementioned Best Western (being demo'd)
D - unknown restaurant
E - unknown hotel
F - unknown restaurant??
G - old Shoney's (gone)

Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Guy View Post
Whoa, didn't realize the others were coming down too.

A - IHOP Restaurant (still here for now)
B - Smaller building and parking lot, demolished 2004-2005 (anyone remember?)
C - Aforementioned Best Western (being demo'd)
D - unknown restaurant
E - unknown hotel
F - unknown restaurant??
G - old Shoney's (gone)
B was Lupitas Mexican restaurant
D was the old Bonanza, most recently, China Grill
E was Ivy Twin Shopping Center & Lofts

I personally like the idea of cleaning up the area by moving some of those business'. Now if the rest of the land from Bellmead to Robinson could do the same thing, maybe peoples view of Waco might change somewhat.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Huh, Google Street View has it (2008). The shopping center has some apartments above it, it seems, and it shows F was a Quizno's Subs. Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: