Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,535,823 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree Texas has some of the biggest overpasses in the country. The first time my aunt and uncle came to visit they woke my cousins up just so they wouldnt miss the enormous interchanges as they drove into Houston. It makes me laugh because as a Texan we are so used to them but ive heard stories of people who are afraid of driving on our overpasses.
Anyways, it seems like a new 5 stack is popping up every few months and its hard to keep track of them so I made this thread. How many 5 stacks are in your city?
I know of at least 9 in Houston, with 2 more currently under construction. There are a couple in the DFW area and Austin has been getting a few. Last time i was in San Antonio i noticed they had one going up too. What do you guys think about Texas' 5 stacks? We must have way more than any other state in the country. Heck, Houston probably has more than any other state in the country.

Everything is bigger in Texas. ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,395,309 times
Those are just intersections for freeways...every mid-large city has them....right????

Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,875,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Those are just intersections for freeways...every mid-large city has them....right????
Not every city.

Houston probably has the most 5 stacks in the US (if not the World) as the OP pointed out.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:42 PM

Hmm Metro Matt.. it would be interesting to put Houston up against all the countries in the world. The only country i could think of that may compete would be China. Ive heard of a 6 stack over there (though one of the levels is just a pedestrian bridge).
Yes dallasboi, every mid to large city has overpasses/interchanges, but not the giant 5 level interchanges like we have here in Texas. I guess you dont notice it as much since your in the Dallas area where there are only a couple, but they are all over Houston. I can only think of a few 5 stack interchanges outside of Texas. 1 in LA (yes, only ONE in the "freeway capital of the world"), 1 in Albuquerque, 1 somewhere in florida (cant remember which city), and one in Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Hmm Metro Matt.. it would be interesting to put Houston up against all the countries in the world. The only country i could think of that may compete would be China. Ive heard of a 6 stack over there (though one of the levels is just a pedestrian bridge).
Yes dallasboi, every mid to large city has overpasses/interchanges, but not the giant 5 level interchanges like we have here in Texas. I guess you dont notice it as much since your in the Dallas area where there are only a couple, but they are all over Houston. I can only think of a few 5 stack interchanges outside of Texas. 1 in LA (yes, only ONE in the "freeway capital of the world"), 1 in Albuquerque, 1 somewhere in florida (cant remember which city), and one in Atlanta.
Now why would there only be a couple in Dallas??? Dallas has plenty of them....in fact every freeway that crosses another calls for one of those....its nothing special right???..or am I missing something......oh wait ......Houston has the most so it has to be the best thing EVER huh??...omg.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not every city.

Houston probably has the most 5 stacks in the US (if not the World) as the OP pointed out.
Houston has the most everything.....So it just has to be the best city in the world right?.......Theres that Quantity over quality theory...in full force.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,305,612 times
Quote:
Now why would there only be a couple in Dallas??? Dallas has plenty of them....in fact every freeway that crosses another calls for one of those....its nothing special right???..or am I missing something......oh wait ......Houston has the most so it has to be the best thing EVER huh??...omg.

IDK what's so hard that you could miss it but...

Quote:
The Houston area has 7 five-level stack interchanges along Beltway 8: at Interstate 10 east and west of downtown, U.S. Highway 59 northeast and southwest of downtown, Interstate 45 north and south of downtown, and U.S. Highway 290 in the beltway's northwest quadrant.[4] The newly-reconstructed interchange of Interstate 610 and U.S. 59, with the new I‑610 northbound feeder road built underground and the new I-610 southbound feeder road overpass, is also a five-level stack interchange.[5] In Dallas, the award-winning High Five Interchange was completed in 2005 and features some ramps which are more than 12 stories above the ground. Similarly, more than 40 bridges make up the five-level stack interchange known as the Big I between Interstates 40 and 25 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Stack interchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM

sorry i am mesmerized by them every time i drive through the city and wanted to discuss something thats fairly unique to Texas in the Texas forums.. this wasnt supposed to turn into a Houston vs Dallas thread, this was supposed to be about discussing these large overpasses and keeping tabs on them because every time i drive through a major Texas city it seems like they are building another one. If we wanted to compare the two cities we could make a poll about each cities highway infrastructure, which actually would be quite interesting imo. Houston just happens to be a much larger city, so we have quite a few more 5 stacks.

Oh and to answer your question on the number of 5 stacks Dallas has, i believe they have 2, but im not 100% sure which is part of why i made this thread..
The High 5, and i saw one a while back at 35 and the george bush turnpike i think, but im not sure if that one is open yet.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:10 PM

rynetwo, congrats on SA getting their first 5 stack finally! should hopefully help improve the flow of traffic on 281 quite a bit.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,875,765 times
Quote:
Dallas has ONE 5 stack interchange, the other is in Fort Worth I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas