Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM

105 posts, read 250,043 times

Advertisements

I have been researching Houston and its strong economy, because it intrigues me how Houston is the wealthiest city in America. I was explaining to someone in a chat room online that I wanted to move to Texas, and this person I was chatting with was from Texas. This person started saying something about how the new oil rigs and gas people who are moving to Texas are somehow making everything more expensive and that this has never happened before???? It didn't make sense to me. I thought if more oil rigs were being made, then that would mean more money and a better economy. Was this person uneducated??? Somebody please explain.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM

195 posts, read 284,086 times
Even if it were true why would it mean that economy is getting worse? Look at Williston, ND. Everything is more expensive there but their economy has never been better.

That being said i think the main reason that the cost of living in Texas has increased is because of inflation. Not overwhelming demand for housing/food etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,293 times
inflation plus lots of people are moving here. most of them are middle class and poor though. the only thing in the future for houston is a strong economy and a larger disparity of wealth.

there is so much land here and such a big city there will always be areas that are affordable though. those people will just have longer and longer commutes (see: NYC)

Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Something is seriously wrong here. Word is out all over that Texas is booming, jobs are growing on trees. I'm sorry but I just don't see it. There are several very current posts on this forum right now by people who can't find work. We have people walk in almost daily who moved here from other areas of the country looking for work because they heard there was work here. They all say where they came from there was none.

I don't feel I'm off much but from my eyes, retail jobs which are traditionally very low pay are doing ok, not booming. Residential construction is near dead. But in my area I can drive up and down 529 and every one of those O&G companies have signs outside begging for Engineers, Machinists and Welders. Many are offering very very large sign on bonuses. One said $2000 hiring bonus for Engineers.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
I've been offered at least 6 jobs in the last two weeks alone. Two were pretty decent positions with Haliburton and Montgomery County.

I think the economy is doing pretty good right now. The only large Texas metros that currently has an unemployment rate over 6% right now I believe is Dallas at 6.2% and El Paso at 8.8%.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I've been offered at least 6 jobs in the last two weeks alone. Two were pretty decent positions with Haliburton and Montgomery County.

I think the economy is doing pretty good right now. The only large Texas metros that currently has an unemployment rate over 6% right now I believe is Dallas at 6.2% and El Paso at 8.8%.
They are all false numbers. The true unbiased non govt unemployment rate is over 20%. Despite that issue, yea we are doing better then most or all of Texas and from what I'm hearing from others, way better then the rest of the nation except for Washington DC and it's commutable suburbs which are swimming in a rich economy.

Seems like people are working here but struggling on scab wages.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 PM

246 posts, read 895,129 times
HP lay off people at houston, economy at houston is not good at all.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
HP lay off people at houston, economy at houston is not good at all.
Contact Manpower temp services, they're always contacting me for positions with HP in Tomball.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:10 AM

61,707 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
They are all false numbers. The true unbiased non govt unemployment rate is over 20%.
Interesting. Is there any supporting analysis for this unbiased statement?

Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Interesting. Is there any supporting analysis for this unbiased statement?
Here’s the real unemployment rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas