U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM

220 posts, read 430,795 times

Advertisements

Push is revived for Texas to ban texting while driving | Breaking News | News from Fort ...

I wonder how many supposed small government Republicans will be hypocrites and vote for this.

I actually agree with Perry on this one.
Quote:
In a statement reminiscent of Perry's veto message in 2011, spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said that Perry "continues to believe texting while driving is reckless and irresponsible" but believes the solution rests with "information and education, not government micromanagement.
I think if this law was passed it would be just another reason for police to pull people over and generate some revenue. It would be your word against the officer's that you weren't doing something other than reading a text, or even using your phone at all.

Also now if someone does try to use their phone in the car they will be more likely to try to hide it while using it and thus be more distracted than before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 AM

3,104 posts, read 5,230,154 times
It is incredible to me that the lack of common sense has become so prevalent in this country that we need big brother to step in and make even more laws to protect us from ourselves.

I find it pitiful that people have to be so stupid as to think a missed text or call is the end of the world and that is why we are even having this discussion.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,131,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
It is incredible to me that the lack of common sense has become so prevalent in this country that we need big brother to step in and make even more laws to protect us from ourselves.

I find it pitiful that people have to be so stupid as to think a missed text or call is the end of the world and that is why we are even having this discussion.

exactly.
this is the same reason we have red light cameras.
some people are just too STUPID to take care of themselves, if you're gonna endanger mine and my loved ones lives by texting on the freeways during rush hour, then Big Brother is necessary.

the OP should suck a big one for even bringing politics into this.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,636,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

Yep! Hard to believe, isn't it?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM

4,133 posts, read 4,667,335 times
They passed this BS in San Antonio and it has done nothing. Now you just see the morons looking between their legs driving down 410.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,105 posts, read 35,838,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
They passed this BS in San Antonio and it has done nothing. Now you just see the morons looking between their legs driving down 410.
My issue with San Antonio's law is that it applies to vehicles stopped at a traffic light. Some traffic lights stay red for 3 minutes. What's the harm in using that time to read a couple of text messages while waiting for the light to turn green?

I doubt the wireless industry will let a law like this go statewide.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM

3,003 posts, read 4,472,876 times
No texting, for that matter, NO CELL PHONE USE at all while driving, has been the law in Germany for many years as well as other parts of Europe. The first offense is simiply, no drivers license for 6 months, as well a large fine, my German friend now living here, explained to me about 5 years ago. It works there. They do a few things right in Europe. The details to this should be looked into and implemented here, period, gee, texting and driving, people HAVE to told that this is sorta unsafe, give me a break.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:28 PM

4,133 posts, read 4,667,335 times
Why do people always try to compare us to Europe? We're not Europe our society here in the states is a whole other animal.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:37 PM

163 posts, read 442,873 times
Amarillo's city council just turn the city into a 100% HANDS FREE zone. If you are caught, you will face a fine up to $200. Of course, just like the seatbelt laws- they have to pull you over for breaking another law in addition to using a cellphone.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM

24,567 posts, read 37,232,869 times
I don't care if they ban texting while driving. It's an insanely stupid thing to do, so I don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas