Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,740 times

Advertisements

We live in Dallas. My sister fractured her leg last week and I need to drive sis in her car to Nacogdoches where she starts a new job at the university.

After dropping her, I need to figure out a way to get back home to Dallas! The only car rental company in Nacogdoches is Enterprise and they do not do one-way rentals. Is there a bus or train that I can take from Nacogdoches back home to Dallas? Or an inexpensive flight? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janderson2020 View Post
We live in Dallas. My sister fractured her leg last week and I need to drive sis in her car to Nacogdoches where she starts a new job at the university.

After dropping her, I need to figure out a way to get back home to Dallas! The only car rental company in Nacogdoches is Enterprise and they do not do one-way rentals. Is there a bus or train that I can take from Nacogdoches back home to Dallas? Or an inexpensive flight? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance !
Are you sure about the no one way thing?

My son rented a car in Searcy AR and I returned it in Nacogdoches.

If you have not called the local rental you should. Not saying they will do one way, but they might.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
You could call and see how much a Greyhound ticket would be. Dollar car rental says they service Nacogdoches, they may be worth calling. Its nice to have family, good luck to you and your sister.

Greyhound.com | Locations : States : Texas

Nacogdoches Car rental | Car rental in Nacogdoches, TX - YP.com

Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the only car rental company in Nacogdoches is Enterprise and they don't do one-way from that location (one-way to Nac is offered). Budget does not have a location in Nac.

Greyhound does have a service to Dallas and it's reasonably priced at $30 or so. But the route first takes me to New Orleans, I have to change the bus and then go to Dallas. Total travel time is 8 hours.

Any other ideas ? I'm desperate for a solution :-(

Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,116 times
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately the only car rental company in Nacogdoches is Enterprise and they don't do one-way from that location (one-way to Nac is offered). Budget does not have a location in Nac.

Greyhound does have a service to Dallas and it's reasonably priced at $30 or so. But the route first takes me to New Orleans, I have to change the bus and then go to Dallas. Total travel time is 8 hours.

Any other ideas ? I'm desperate for a solution :-(
What day are you traveling?

Qazulight

Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM

61 posts, read 117,644 times
Default A few ideas...

1) Do you have a friend who would be willing to follow you down in their car, and bring you back? Yeah it's kind of a long drive, but if you reimburse them for gas and offer some extra $ for the inconvenience, maybe somebody would go for it.

2) This would not be cheap, but if you’ve got the money, you could have a cab pick you up in Nacogdoches, bring you to whatever the nearest city is that offers direct bus service to Dallas, and take a bus from there. I live in Tyler, and take cabs every once in a while. The cab drivers have told me that they will go anywhere, and occasionally even drive people from Tyler to Shreveport and back.

3) **Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing the safety or reliability of this option. You could check the rideshare section of Craigslist. Since Nacogdoches is a college town, there may be SFASU students from the Dallas area who travel "back home" for the weekend rather frequently. They may happily give you a ride in exchange for some gas money.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM

577 posts, read 512,291 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance !
There are city buses that travel from Nacogdoches to Lufkin (20 miles to the south) and there should be a larger selection of rentals available there.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance !
There is one in Lufkin as well or make ya way to Longview,tx 69 miles north to amtrack.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
I was going to mention the Amtrak in Longview. Thing is even if you find a ride there, it leaves early in the morning. You'd likely have to leave Nacogdoches by 06:00. What day are you going there?

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks for those suggestions - very helpful & I appreciate the support provided on this forum. I plan to travel with sis on a Saturday this month-end and can return immediately or the next day.

Lufkin has an Enterprise location & does not offer one-way rental. I can get one-way rentals at Longview or at Tyler.

Worst case, I will probably have to convince a friend to follow me in a separate car but I hate to be a bother.

tExPatriot - Taking a cab seems like a feasible idea. Approximately how much would a cab cost from Nacogdoches to Tyler or Longview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas