Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 02:37 PM

16 posts, read 162,679 times

Advertisements

I was looking at rental places near the University of Arlington where I will be working. But the crime-rate seems to be really high there. Spotcrime website lists lots of crime in Arlington ranging from theft, assault, burglary, armed robbery etc., especially around UTA. Just on 28th Feb'2013 there has been about 30 such crimes. Why such a high crime rate? I am not able to understand.

I wanted to live close to my work but now I have no clue whatsoever where to look for!

I am moving to Arlington and I need a safe place to live with my family, good school for kids (ages 2-8), kids play area/park, good neighborhood, good shops/grocery/mall etc. without worrying for crime. Most important is safe place with good schools. Crime seem to be much higher around UTA, especially east, north-east and south-east of UTA which was few of the places I was looking for. But after learning about the high crime-rate I would want to avoid these areas. What about west, north-west and south-west of UTA? Please suggest.

What is the price range of rent for 2 or 3 BR apartments/condos/townhouses/houses in the recommended areas? Can we get short-term leases? Any rental benefits for family earning below $40k or $45k? What all should I look for before/during renting/signing lease?

Should I look for rentals outside of Arlington, Texas? In this case, which area would be good? Will the commute be easy to UTA? I have no clue about the traffic or anything there.

Will it be good idea to buy a home immediately instead of wasting money on rent? I am talking about budget homes of about $100k. They do exist, right!? If buying, which areas should I look for that are family friendly with good schools? Are there any safe/gated communities?

What are the areas I should avoid living and passing-by? What are the precautions when visiting or passing through such areas? What are some of the issues people face in terms of safety?

I was reading there is no state tax in Texas. What about county tax? What will be tax bracket/% tax for families earnings, including Federal tax, below $40k or $45k?

Sorry lots of questions

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by benhur101; 03-03-2013 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: to add more details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,669,872 times
You will likely have more answers if you post in the Dallas or Fort Worth forums since Arlington is a suburb of both cities.

Yes, the area of central Arlington around UTA isn't great. Honestly, if you want to live in Arlington with a family, you need to look at the south part near Joe Pool Lake, and near the cities of Mansfield and far south Grand Prairie. The crime rate is much lower, schools are better, etc. there are parts of DFW which are somewhat dangerous, but none of them are close to UTA. Most of the crime in that area is car burglaries, break-ins, etc.

$100k is pretty low for buying a home, even in DFW. I would advise renting for at least a year to get a better feel for the area, and to save up more money for a down payment.

No, all we pay here is federal tax. No state, county or city income taxes. However, our property taxes can be high, but if you are renting, that won't affect you.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Thanks ChristieP for all the information you have given. It is really useful.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You will likely have more answers if you post in the Dallas or Fort Worth forums since Arlington is a suburb of both cities.

Yes, the area of central Arlington around UTA isn't great. Honestly, if you want to live in Arlington with a family, you need to look at the south part near Joe Pool Lake, and near the cities of Mansfield and far south Grand Prairie. The crime rate is much lower, schools are better, etc. there are parts of DFW which are somewhat dangerous, but none of them are close to UTA. Most of the crime in that area is car burglaries, break-ins, etc.

$100k is pretty low for buying a home, even in DFW. I would advise renting for at least a year to get a better feel for the area, and to save up more money for a down payment.

No, all we pay here is federal tax. No state, county or city income taxes. However, our property taxes can be high, but if you are renting, that won't affect you.
I am getting more replies after I re-posted this in FW section. Thanks a lot ChristieP.

Quick question. Did you mean that Burglaries and break-ins (in cars and houses?) are normal in and around UTA? Are there not sufficient security system? Are the number of cops very less? When you say dangerous means - gun/knife related? Could you please elaborate if possible? I want to know how it feels for someone living in and around UTA, especially with a family. Though you may not live there, at least you can give me a picture if possible. Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,669,872 times
The area around UTA is not dangerous, but there are a lot of petty crimes, such as car break-ins. It's merely a crime of opportunity since there are so many people through there every day, and the criminals take advantage of it. Police and security can only do so much, and they focus on bigger crimes. Honestly, if I had a family, I would not live close to UTA. I would want to live in a safer, nicer area.

The dangerous areas of DFW are much further away from UTA: Stop Six in Fort Worth, south Oak Cliff and Pleasant Grove in Dallas, Wilmer/Hutchins, etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 AM

Thanks ChristieP. Useful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas