Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the best luxury stores by the end of 2013?
Dallas 88 62.86%
Houston 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 PM

77 posts, read 137,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
Did you even read my market report? The Dallas - Fort Worth area has more than 600,000 people than the Houston area. What is even more significant is the market surrounding the Dallas - Fort Worth market that took a greater hit economically than the Houston area all of which have now recovered.

Therefore, in all phases of retail, including upscale, the Dallas - Fort Worth area, and more specifically the city of Dallas, has returned to outperforming the retail in the Houston area exponentially.

Do you understand the exponential part? However much larger the retail market is over Houston now, it won't just be that, but much more from here on out.

If I were a Houston booster, I'd go back to boosting Houston as the energy capital of the world, arguing about the Texas Medical Center being larger than all of downtown Dallas, or encouraging NASA to make a return trip to the moon.

Houston, we have a problem!

I am thinking you feel a little to strongly on this subject. Firstly, whatever report you may have, you lost all credibility when you started comparing Dallas to New York, Chicago, and L.A. I'm sorry. I lived in Dallas for 4 years and I remember everyone there having a glow in their eyes about the city, but, once in awhile you need to stop and take a look around. You're on the plains. Beverly Hills, you are not.

Dallas will NEVER be up on the same level with the 3 afore mentioned cities. In fact, I will even add Las Vegas to that list. Even is Dallas does become more of a destination for shopping than Houston, thats where it stops. I repeat, it will never get to the same level as LA, NYC, Las Vegas, or Chicago. Never. Period. If you need a support group to digest that fact, so be it.

In fact, I think it sums up the way Dallasites think. Not one person here who has come to Houston's defense had the gall to compare it to NYC, LA, or Chicago. Come on guys.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 237,038 times
Default Southern Style Stats

Quote:
Did you even read my market report? The Dallas - Fort Worth area has more than 600,000 people than the Houston area. What is even more significant is what amounts to the market surrounding the Dallas - Fort Worth area the whole of which took a greater hit economically than did the Houston area all of which have since recovered.

Therefore, in all phases of retail, including upscale, the Dallas - Fort Worth area, and more specifically the city of Dallas, has now returned to outperforming the retail in the Houston area exponentially.

Do you understand the part about exponential? However much larger the retail market in Dallas is over Houston now, it won't just be that, but much more from here on out.

If I were a Houston booster, I'd go back to boosting Houston as the energy capital of the world, arguing about the Texas Medical Center being larger than all of downtown Dallas, or encouraging NASA to make a return trip to the moon.

Houston, we have a problem!
Dallas needs 2 metropolitan areas (and then some) to TRY to compete with Houston. The DFW metro was drawn geographically bigger than Houston, so it gives you 500-600,000 more population, due to the way the boundaries are drawn. It's 2 against 1, and Houston's economy still blows it out of the water.

Houston does have a problem: an annoying pesky little sister named Dallas that's angry that she'll NEVER be older or bigger than her big brother Houston, and hates him. She even gathers all the other siblings in the house to fight big brother, and still comes up short.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM

[quote=TXT;30981355]Dallas needs 2 metropolitan areas (and then some) to TRY to compete with Houston. The DFW metro was drawn geographically bigger than Houston, so it gives you 500-600,000 more population, due to the way the boundaries are drawn. It's 2 against 1, and Houston's economy still blows it out of the water.

Houston does have a problem: an annoying pesky little sister named Dallas that's angry that she'll NEVER be older or bigger than her big brother Houston, and hates him. She even gathers all the other siblings in the house to fight big brother, and still comes up short.[/quote]

I will disagree with the bold. I live in Austin. I lived in Dallas. I never have lived in Houston, but I will always side with Houston. I guess my system was resistant to the water that seems to make the entire city of Dallas look like 5th Avenue. But I am happy as a clam in Austin!!!!!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM

581 posts, read 919,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman79 View Post
I am thinking you feel a little to strongly on this subject. Firstly, whatever report you may have, you lost all credibility when you started comparing Dallas to New York, Chicago, and L.A. I'm sorry. I lived in Dallas for 4 years and I remember everyone there having a glow in their eyes about the city, but, once in awhile you need to stop and take a look around. You're on the plains. Beverly Hills, you are not.

Dallas will NEVER be up on the same level with the 3 afore mentioned cities. In fact, I will even add Las Vegas to that list. Even is Dallas does become more of a destination for shopping than Houston, thats where it stops. I repeat, it will never get to the same level as LA, NYC, Las Vegas, or Chicago. Never. Period. If you need a support group to digest that fact, so be it.

In fact, I think it sums up the way Dallasites think. Not one person here who has come to Houston's defense had the gall to compare it to NYC, LA, or Chicago. Come on guys.
Market strategists in both Los Angeles and New York City understand the Dallas market to be exponential in comparison to theirs. It isn't a matter of the city of Dallas being hot, but all the markets around it. I'm certain about this. It isn't a matter of who lives within the city of Dallas, but who lives a thousand miles away. With every passing day, that territory continues expanding. As much as Atlanta is what it is, which is incredible, the city of Dallas is so much more so and that shouldn't be surprising when one compares the size of the markets surrounding each.

In markets like Chicago, Dallas, and Atlanta, the growth in retail is always going to be exponential.

This is why the city of Dallas has such a mecca of upscale shopping built up within the urban core of the city.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Market strategists in both Los Angeles and New York City understand the Dallas market to be exponential in comparison to theirs. It isn't a matter of the city of Dallas being hot, but all the markets around it. I'm certain about this. It isn't a matter of who lives within the city of Dallas, but who lives a thousand miles away. With every passing day, that territory continues expanding. As much as Atlanta is what it is, which is incredible, the city of Dallas is so much more so and that shouldn't be surprising when one compares the size of the markets surrounding each.

In markets like Chicago, Dallas, and Atlanta, the growth in retail is always going to be exponential.

This is why the city of Dallas has such a mecca of upscale shopping built up within the urban core of the city.
I mean I can't argue this. It's too ignorant. All I can say is I use to work for a major department store when I lived in Dallas. In our region we had some huge volume stores. There were 3 or 4 in the Atlanta area. 1 in Birmingham, 3 in Houston. 2 in Dallas. 1 in San Antonio. However, none of these came close to our stores in NYC or Chicago. In fact, if you combined the volume of every store in DFW, or every store in Houston, our store in NYC did more volume annually.

Yes, growth in Dallas is much faster than LA or NYC, why? Dallas has room to grow. It is a much newer city than NYC. So duh it has ground to make up.

I'm done. I feel that respnding to arguments about Dallas being comparable to NYC make me look dumb too.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 PM
TXT

165 posts, read 237,038 times
Default Southern Style Stats

[quote=brightman79;30981385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
Dallas needs 2 metropolitan areas (and then some) to TRY to compete with Houston. The DFW metro was drawn geographically bigger than Houston, so it gives you 500-600,000 more population, due to the way the boundaries are drawn. It's 2 against 1, and Houston's economy still blows it out of the water.

Houston does have a problem: an annoying pesky little sister named Dallas that's angry that she'll NEVER be older or bigger than her big brother Houston, and hates him. She even gathers all the other siblings in the house to fight big brother, and still comes up short.[/quote]

I will disagree with the bold. I live in Austin. I lived in Dallas. I never have lived in Houston, but I will always side with Houston. I guess my system was resistant to the water that seems to make the entire city of Dallas look like 5th Avenue. But I am happy as a clam in Austin!!!!!
LOL I hear you. By all the siblings in the house, I meant all in and around the DFW metro, not the state. But the guy firing off all that nonsense is a nutter.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 PM

581 posts, read 919,580 times
Quote:
I mean I can't argue this. It's too ignorant. All I can say is I use to work for a major department store when I lived in Dallas. In our region we had some huge volume stores. There were 3 or 4 in the Atlanta area. 1 in Birmingham, 3 in Houston. 2 in Dallas. 1 in San Antonio. However, none of these came close to our stores in NYC or Chicago. In fact, if you combined the volume of every store in DFW, or every store in Houston, our store in NYC did more volume annually.

Yes, growth in Dallas is much faster than LA or NYC, why? Dallas has room to grow. It is a much newer city than NYC. So duh it has ground to make up.

I'm done. I feel that respnding to arguments about Dallas being comparable to NYC make me look dumb too.
Not just grow like Houston is, but grow exponentially as major retail markets have always tended to do. Think of the city of Dallas as becoming the epicenter for retail in all the south. Los Angeles understands this to be the case that, in the future, the city of Dallas will become one of the major markets approaching it in significance. And both Atlanta and Miami understand today that the city of Dallas is growing exponentially much faster than they because of the shear size of the markets surrounding it. New York also has to respect this aspect about the retail market surrounding the city of Dallas just as it has always done so.

Once again, what you fail to comprehend is how the Dallas - Fort Worth market is twice that of the Houston market. And that number in the future will continue to be exponentially on the side of Dallas - Fort Worth as cities, other than Houston, continue to grow and boom.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:57 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Quote:
Outlet stores do not appeal to the luxury market......they don't count. Otherwise Houston wins for having 3 Saks Off Fifth stores.
Houston has to settle for more second rate stuff....Houstonians need SOMEWHERE to shop too. It just won't be the stuff that appeals to the luxury market...

Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM

328 posts, read 468,436 times
[quote=brightman79;30981385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post

Houston does have a problem: an annoying pesky little sister named Dallas that's angry that she'll NEVER be older or bigger than her big brother Houston, and hates him. She even gathers all the other siblings in the house to fight big brother, and still comes up short./quote]

In what way are you qualified to expound upon the subject of Houston's luxury shopping, or anything to do with Houston, if you've never lived it, breathed it, worked in it, on a daily basis?

"My favorite city in Australia is Sydney. Never been there, but it's my favorite!" Sounds like nonsense!

You lived, past tense, in Dallas. No one knows how long ago, but man, things are changing, and changing fast around here. You currently live in Austin. I lived there for one year in 1995, absolutely loved it. I couldn't make any $ there since there were so many people willing to work for peanuts ("Money? You want money? You should thank your lucky stars you have the privilege to live here in Austin!"). So I moved back to Dallas, then got a job with GTE (later Verizon) in Hidden Ridge in Irving.

It seems that most of this forum's Houston's uber-homers DO NOT EVEN LIVE IN HOUSTON. How can this be? It sort of reminds me of all the OU grads in my workplace. If Oklahoma--and Houston--are so freakin' great, why did all of you people get the H out? Mind-boggling.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:02 AM

[quote=casimpso;30982896]
Quote:

In what way are you qualified to expound upon the subject of Houston's luxury shopping, or anything to do with Houston, if you've never lived it, breathed it, worked in it, on a daily basis?

"My favorite city in Australia is Sydney. Never been there, but it's my favorite!" Sounds like nonsense!

You lived, past tense, in Dallas. No one knows how long ago, but man, things are changing, and changing fast around here. You currently live in Austin. I lived there for one year in 1995, absolutely loved it. I couldn't make any $ there since there were so many people willing to work for peanuts ("Money? You want money? You should thank your lucky stars you have the privilege to live here in Austin!"). So I moved back to Dallas, then got a job with GTE (later Verizon) in Hidden Ridge in Irving.

It seems that most of this forum's Houston's uber-homers DO NOT EVEN LIVE IN HOUSTON. How can this be? It sort of reminds me of all the OU grads in my workplace. If Oklahoma--and Houston--are so freakin' great, why did all of you people get the H out? Mind-boggling.
I grew up in a small town not far from Houston, I have family who lives in Houston. But mostly, I have worked in retail for 12 years for two different companies. With both companies, our larger volume stores were always in Houston over Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas