Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the best luxury stores by the end of 2013?
Dallas 88 62.86%
Houston 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM

12 posts, read 17,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Umm.. Preston Hollow is in the city of Dallas.
Preston Hollow, Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks a lot like Tuxedo Park in the Buckhead area of Atlanta or Bel Air in the L.A. area.

I do know that homes in Preston Hollow are very expensive. And there's a huge number of very wealthy residents.
Hicks’ $135 million home built by Crespi couple after headline-making divorce and trial | Dallas Morning News

Add in the Park Cities which connect to Preston Hollow and the neighborhoods in Far North Dallas along Preston Road
and you have quite the impressive concentration of Wealth.
Umm I don't think he was saying Preston Hollow is in Houston. He was saying the
home to the wealthiest residents and most expensive homes in Texas is in Houston.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:22 PM

43 posts, read 63,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTX View Post
Umm I don't think he was saying Preston Hollow is in Houston. He was saying the
home to the wealthiest residents and most expensive homes in Texas is in Houston.
To get back on topic, perhaps that is so. Still, in terms of luxury shopping, having 700,000 plus millionaires in the immediate surrounding region to Dallas - Fort Worth is the reason for assembling a mecca of upscale shopping isn't it? Then Highland Park Village reaches out even further getting shoppers from 23 surrounding states.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroAmericanofColor View Post
Hey dog didn't Troy Aikman have an estate in Preston Hollow? If you are right, Troy must have lived in Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Lol Preston Hollow is in Dallas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Umm.. Preston Hollow is in the city of Dallas.
Preston Hollow, Dallas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looks a lot like Tuxedo Park in the Buckhead area of Atlanta or Bel Air in the L.A. area.

I do know that homes in Preston Hollow are very expensive. And there's a huge number of very wealthy residents.
Hicks’ $135 million home built by Crespi couple after headline-making divorce and trial | Dallas Morning News

Add in the Park Cities which connect to Preston Hollow and the neighborhoods in Far North Dallas along Preston Road
and you have quite the impressive concentration of Wealth.
R1070 said he thought PH was home to the most expensive homes in Texas. I said no, that neighborhood is in Houston. I never said Preston hollow was in Houston. Duh.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
R1070 said he thought PH was home to the most expensive homes in Texas. I said no, that neighborhood is in Houston. I never said Preston hollow was in Houston. Duh.
Aren't there huge differences between what are neighborhoods in Houston and what are neighborhoods in Dallas? I assume you must be speaking about the Memorial area in Houston with all those millionaires? Indeed, there is a huge area in Houston which seems to stretch all the way from 610 seemingly all the way to Katy.

This area does have a lot of mansions, but it doesn't seem to have a neighborhood of estates isolated from smaller mansions. An estate has huge amounts of land surrounding a mansion built on a larger scale.

The Preston Hollow area is obvious. First off, it is located along Preston which is the similar road to Memorial in Houston. From what I can see looking at a google map, the particular neighborhood is huge estates which are surrounded by smaller mansions.

Here is a good article about who are the targeted customers of luxury upscale retailers:

Neiman Marcus still defines luxury in a casual world:

Neiman Marcus still defines luxury in a casual world | Dallas Morning News

Old 12-21-2013, 08:24 PM

213 posts, read 388,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Um, no. They're very different.
As far as demographics, country club, private schools, parties, valet parking, socialites, and security they are very much a like.

Architecture is somewhat comparable. There are that many areas of the south with that much concentrated wealth, so as in typical fashion HP is always compared to or mention with River Oaks as far as discussing the wealthy areas of Texas.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
I think all the people that keep bickering in this thread need to post pics of their closets/wardrobes. I wonder how many of y'all actually shop at some of these stores and how often?

Old 12-22-2013, 01:51 AM

286 posts, read 406,801 times
Quote:
Using the word "that" would imply the subject at hand.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbr72 View Post
Using the word "that" would imply the subject at hand.
You just didn't understand. It's okay.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
You just didn't understand. It's okay.
To get back on topic, I was taking a look at the Preston Center business district on the street level of Google and was really impressed with all the retail it has outside of the Plaza at Preston Center shopping center. I never realized such existed. While it doesn't look like that commercial district has a lot of land left for office buildings, it does have the potential to add a whole lot more retail space.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:27 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroAmericanofColor View Post
To get back on topic, I was taking a look at the Preston Center business district on the street level of Google and was really impressed with all the retail it has outside of the Plaza at Preston Center shopping center. I never realized such existed. While it doesn't look like that commercial district has a lot of land left for office buildings, it does have the potential to add a whole lot more retail space.
This area gets overlooked a lot when people are comparing areas of Houston to areas of Dallas. People seem to focus in on just the Uptown area, but there are a lot more places in Dallas than just Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas