Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the best luxury stores by the end of 2013?
Dallas 88 62.86%
Houston 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:18 PM

256 posts, read 473,677 times

Advertisements

Rag & Bone expands:
Visit Our New Rag and Bone Boutique at Highland Park Village

Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,039 times
Steven Alan is looking to expand in Dallas and Chicago sometime this year. They recently opened their newest shop in Portland, and have several outposts in California, New York, and Connecticut in addition to individual stores in Atlanta and Boston.

Also, Suitsupply will open stores in both Dallas and Houston soon as part of their aggressive American expansion.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...nd-an-ad-blitz

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM

On Knox-Henderson in Dallas--Steven Alan is opening soon, and across the street a Kate Spade boutique is now under construction.

Kate Spade Store Comes to Knox Street in Knox-Henderson, Dallas, Texas | Knox-Henderson

Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 AM

581 posts, read 924,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Only if there's one city per tier. Dallas definitely has an edge, and probably always will, but the differences aren't major by any stretch of the imagination. This is even more true with Dallas losing some of its luxury department stores.

Nationwide, I'd put them both in Tier 2, with New York and Los Angeles being the only cities occupying the highest of tiers.
I don't know if it is still true, but at one time Dallas was home to more stores per capita than any other place on earth including New York City. Indeed, by teir 2, if you mean Houston is Mickey Mouse, then Dallas is Mighty Mouse.

And it isn't that Houston doesn't have shopping. Unfortunately, like the city itself, it is quite spread out and Bohemian.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
I don't know if it is still true, but at one time Dallas was home to more stores per capita than any other place on earth including New York City. Indeed, by teir 2, if you mean Houston is Mickey Mouse, then Dallas is Mighty Mouse.

And it isn't that Houston doesn't have shopping. Unfortunately, like the city itself, it is quite spread out and Bohemian.
It's all within the loop.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It's all within the loop.
In Dallas, Love Field is intimately involved with the central core of Dallas and the four resulting major commercial shopping districts that have developed north of there for 23 miles along Preston Road. Houston neither has a Preston Road nor a Lemmon Avenue. Forget the stores, the shopping centers themselves are jewels: Highland Park Village, Lakewood, Inwood, Preston Center, Northpark Mall, the Galleria, the Jefferson commercial district, and so on.

The missing factor in Houston is that it doesn't have an intimately close in Love Field.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM

Tory Burch announces Northpark Center boutique:

Tory Burch | NorthPark Center | Dallas Shopping | Luxury Shopping | Fashion Apparel

Old 08-09-2013, 05:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Trying to run them through my head, but it seems most all the primary high end shopping is located inside loop 12. The only significant one I can think of is Galleria.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Trying to run them through my head, but it seems most all the primary high end shopping is located inside loop 12. The only significant one I can think of is Galleria.
I am old enough to remember when the city of Dallas was an integral part of not just having upscale stores, but in setting the scale of what was sold in the stores back when it had a garment industry. In my younger years, I worked in a garment factory located across the street from the Dallas Fair Park.

During that time, when roaming around the Dallas Fair Park during the month that was the State Fair of Texas, I decided to check out an inconspicuous door up some stairs and upon opening it, a full blown fashion show was going on. Only at the State Fair of Texas would something so seemingly important be tucked away no where.

Anyway, helping establish the scale of retail is always going to be better than having lots of upscale stores. White it is starting to attract new garment garments within the Dallas Design District, the city of Dallas needs to reestablish its garment industry.

Having two design districts, one being the Dallas Design District downtown and the other being the North Dallas Design District around the Dallas Galleria is an indication that the city of Dallas is still involved with establishing the scale in retail.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
What stores are Houston getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas