Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
If you are interested in law enforcement, don't want to move to "rural" TX, and want to make decent money in a city with a low cost of living; Then, why don't you apply for the Corpus Christi Police Dept? You don't need previous experience or a college degree.

They are currently hiring for the 72nd Academy in August. Its good money, great benefits, and the funnest job in the world! I had a friend, that was in my academy, that is from Syracuse, NY, and loves it down here.
If you are interested in law enforcemt, a Corpus Christi cop would rate pretty high.

If it was only a choice between NYC or Beeville and Corpus, it would be a no brainer.

But your career aspirations may have you go in other directions.

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:16 AM

163 posts, read 199,122 times
Make the jump, OP. Just do it. Beeville isn't bad. I grew up in small city West Texas (Midland, pop. ~100K) and have lived in the three largest cities in TX (DFW, Houston, and SA) as well. I worked in George West for a while (commuting from SA at 240 miles a day round trip) and have been to Beeville several times. Out of all the larger towns down there, I'd say it's in the "better ones" category. I wouldn't have a problem taking a good opportunity (that wasn't in the Eagle Ford mess, which was why I was down there) coming from where you are. Corpus will be close entertainment for you, as most people down that far go there for fun as opposed to San Antonio (you head up here on 37 or to Houston on 59 if you want to "shop"). I know the beaches in Corpus aren't the best thing in the world, but they're good enough. You could be resting in the sand in warm weather on your time off and enjoying that for 8 mos. out of the year down here. I know a lot of field workers who lived that life and loved it. If you have good credit, you can just go buy a decent used car as soon as you get here. The cost of living factor will allow you to have that option. Also, you can live in Beeville for a while, get established in your job, and then move to Corpus and commute. 60 miles isn't that far of a commute when you have no traffic and would be the same, time wise, as living in the suburbs and driving into any one of the major cities in TX for work everyday.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:54 PM

738 posts, read 765,288 times
Woman officers are at a premium in Corpus. They are trying to recruit them like crazy so that is a good option. The pay and benefits are really good(you get paid while in academy as well). Generally nationwide they are in high demand as DOJ goes around whacking cities for low female hiring. Corpus basically turned themselves in with a police chief initiated plan to hire more female officers which means it doesn't have the cultural issues other police forces are having.

That said if you go to Beeville realize it's small but not nearly as isolated as upstate New York.(I'm from Corpus but lived in upstate for awhile). In Beeville you are very close to Corpus, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston so you'll have a lot of options for visiting places if you get the urge for someplace bigger. The highway system is more direct and safer than the backwoods highways of upstate NY.

Culturally realize that it is vastly different from the East Coast. Educational attainment is lower but is something valued if not used to establish superiority. If you are kind, warm, and down to earth person it will be rewarded. If you are snobby or elitist it is much more severely punished than the east coast. Also there a lot fewer white people than Upstate New York but growing up in Brooklyn this shouldn't be a problem for you. A car is a must have item. Buy a cheap used one until you find something that makes you comfortable.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,803 times
Um...you guys that posted today realize the OP was in March of 2013, right?

Old 11-22-2015, 06:30 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,302 times
LOL Texas nightowl. Some people just like to expound and listen to themselves speak.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:46 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
You sound like you are leaning toward making the move. My opinion is--Go for it! You may never again find yourself in a position to "take the plunge" into an unfamiliar world. Wish you all the luck in the world!
So agree!

Try it out!
Life is all about the experiences.
As you said, it'll be a career move in the right direction

Commit to X amount of time to get your resume where it needs to be and go from there.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas