Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:11 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,622 times

Advertisements

Hi: We're new to this forum and really want to find out what life is like in San Angelo. Weather, tornado and flood concerns, COL, shopping, political/philosophical positions of the majority, economics, racial plurality. We're retired teachers; just want someplace where we can garden and enjoy life. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 AM

65 posts, read 217,855 times
I no longer live in San Angelo, but I did for four years and really enjoyed it there. The weather is ok. Summers can be pretty hot as expected in Western Texas. Winters were pretty moderate, might get three days average of snow. In my four years there one tornado hit, but it was minor and caused no injuries. I never saw any flooding & don't see that ever being a big concern but assume the Concho or other small creeks could overflow in a heavy storm like most all rivers, creeks, but not a particular problem. COL seems to be very low. I was renting a 3 bedroom brick home in a nice area for $750, cannot find anything like that in my current location. That said many of the jobs there are low wage & thats a big reason I left. But as you are retiring should not be a big concern. For the size of the town I think they had some great cultural programs, small civic theater, nice small art museum, city orchestra & ballet and all the things the University offers. The parks along the river are top notch & still one of my favorite places anywhere to be. It seems to be a pretty conservative town, but I think alot of that is the minority of far right types just are much louder then the majority of moderates. I'm a moderate democrat & never felt uncomfortable there or with the city government at that time. Its a fairly diverse city, a large hispanic population. I never once saw any outward racism. Its a pretty welcoming place. Shopping is nothing to write home about but its large enough to have most of the popular national retailers you would expect. If you are a really upscale shopper & needs a Nordstroms or similiar you might have to head towards a large city. Otherwise there are plenty of great options to keep you happy. Same thing with Restaraunts. I'm a far way off from retiring but have thought myself it would be a nice play to retire. Hope this was a little helpful-

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Stu, thank you for your very through and thoughtful response. San Angelo does seem like a good choice.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 AM

What parts of town are good to live in, and which parts are better to be avoided?

Old 04-12-2013, 12:18 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
What parts of town are good to live in, and which parts are better to be avoided?
When I lived in San Angelo back in the 90's the southwest part of town was generally the best part of town to reside in. The neighborhoods around College Hills Blvd and Southwest Blvd seemed to be the best ones. I lived in an apartment complex near College Hills Blvd. It was a nice, safe neighborhood. I'm not sure about the other parts of town. Perhaps someone who currently lives there can give you more updated information.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
When I lived in San Angelo back in the 90's the southwest part of town was generally the best part of town to reside in. The neighborhoods around College Hills Blvd and Southwest Blvd seemed to be the best ones. I lived in an apartment complex near College Hills Blvd. It was a nice, safe neighborhood. I'm not sure about the other parts of town. Perhaps someone who currently lives there can give you more updated information.
Yep youre right. I live on the southwest end of town in the neighborhoods you mentioned and theyre very nice. I would avoid anywhere in the north end of town though. Southwest side is the best and the central part isnt bad but the north end is definitely not reccomended.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM

The north, that's where the projects are? Also, is it green, lots of trees and gardens, or drab?
Can you garden, raise horses?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
The north, that's where the projects are? Also, is it green, lots of trees and gardens, or drab?
Can you garden, raise horses?
Its very green in the Spring and Summer and theres lots of trees. I've even heard Angelo referred to as the oasis of west Texas. And yeah the north end is pretty much the ghetto for the most part and is where the majority of the city crime occurs.
Sunken Garden Park - San Angelo*

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM

Concho River, San Angelo, TX - YouTube

Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 PM

We're going to watch that YouTube in a second. Is it noisy from the Air Force base? Looks like the school we might take some courses at, you know for fun? is the Howard College and it's not even on the map we got yesterday, and may be located in a bad area, too, up by the HW67 and McGill. Is that a good school, or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas